Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 11:19 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Such as foods that you'll pay more for instead of the cheaper kind? For me, one is cheese. I love turkey but I don't really care about the cheaper stuff, but when it comes to cheese I hate the single cheap processed cheese and always buy cheese at the deli.
Agree on the cheese. Nothing beats a premium extra sharp white cheddar from Vermont.

I also will pay extra for good chocolate, and will even import it if I have to. (Belgian is my personal favorite)

Another food I will pay premium for is butter. A good butter can make all the difference to your dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 12:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Almost anything really.

real maple syrup
good beer
pure mexican vanilla
cheese of a variety of types
proscuitto
yorkshire tea
locally roasted espresso beans
grass fed beef
wild salmon
unsalted butter over margarine, but not picky about brand
honey
chili peppers vs chili powder
most vegetables are purchased only seasonally when fresh, same with berries

Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Maple syrup and Honey are two great ones. Some boutique fruit syrups are OK but nothing compares to real Maple. Most of the syrup sold in stores and provided at diners, especially fake Maple, is utter garbage.

Ever try Manuka Honey? Now that's a premium price!
I buy local honeys and got a mangrove honey recently. Our neighbors live in MA, but spend winters here. They brought us a jug of maple syrup their son and uncle make and sell. . We had nutmeg syrup in the Caribbean 14 years ago that was really good. I recently found a recipe for a small batch that uses dark rum that I want to try.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Comparing a quality made "real" cheese to American processed cheese is like comparing prime rib to potted meat.

Their simply not comparable.
What he said.....

Old 10-12-2019, 12:45 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've been buying Penzey's double strength Matagascar vanilla for decades. With all the crop failures, a 16 oz bottle of it is now $140.00. I've been rationing the last of the bottle I have on hand.
I was shocked at vanilla prices three years ago and grew my own vanilla vine. Once we learned how to properly pollinate, I got seven beans. They should be ready in two months, but the odds of curing them correctly the first time look slim, another learning curve.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-12-2019 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 01:56 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
No more peanut butter. It's now almond butter or cashew butter. Much higher in price for a good brand but so much better tasting than PB.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No more peanut butter. It's now almond butter or cashew butter. Much higher in price for a good brand but so much better tasting than PB.
I grind my almond butter at the grocer. I do agree. I don't like peanut butter any more.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Know exactly how you feel: raised in So. Ca where we had an avocado tree, 3 apricot trees, oranges and grapefruit plus plum and fig trees. Now we can't even afford Apricots. Oh, we had a lemon tree as well.
Yes! I had lemons, limes, tangerines, grapefruit & valencia & blood oranges. Wow, I miss them! I have one avocado tree that I grew from a pit that I drag outdoors every spring & back indoors about this time of year. It won’t ever bear fruit but it’s a beauty.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times
Coffee - I can't do Folgers or Maxwell House. I won't eat processed cheese either, that stuff will ruin a meal. No cheap chocolate unless I'm starving.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages or follow one of those weird diets, so I can usually eat on a budget and survive.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:37 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Cheese, organic, local raised eggs and vegetables, grass fed meat and butter.
The absolutely best fish and seafood (wild caught), and good, fresh bread.

But I DO buy cheap bubbly because 20 years of blind taste tests on New Year's Eve has shown that I can't tell the difference and really don't care for the expensive brands!
Lucky, right?

ETA.. Good French Roast coffee or beans are non-negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink