Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times

Advertisements

I have discovered that the construction of the base of the pan, no matter what it is lined with dictates its ability to heat up. Unless you are using a gas flame, it is important to avoid thin based pans which in many cases can warp. My frying pans are heavy as heck but on my smooth top stove they heat evenly and quickly and respond rapidly to changes in the heat setting. As a rule of thumb they do cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Caphalon and Viking stainless are great, and a hot pan will release foods, although a non stick fry pan is a must for omelets. One of my favorite pans is a Rachel Ray cast iron enamel Dutch oven. It cooks foods like Jacques Pepin beef stew with wine to perfection.
I do my favorite pot roast in a cast iron Dutch oven... it's my favorite for such things.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 AM

914 posts, read 643,107 times
I had the same problems recently. To see the flakes missing on my teflon pans grossed me out. It was enough for me to clear the kitchen of stick-free pans and toss it all into the garbage. It's best to use American made (lead-free) stainless or iron cookware going forward. Ramekins replace the muffin pans.

Cooking was made so much easier when I learnt how to prepare and season stainless steel pans. Try Youtube: How to season a stainless steel pan" and you may be surprised. My new oversized skillet has been a joy to use even for traditionally sticky stuff like eggs or potatoes. Also google how to take care of it after you learn to season it. I usually just rinse and scrape off the food, then boil about two inches of water then wipe it clean with a clean dry cloth.

It's good not to see flakes missing or scrapes on my old favorite pans anymore. I'm sure teflon is not as dire to your health as some would have you think, but it's nice to use real utensils as opposed to plastic ones, for a change. so that's a bonus of learning the proper way to use stainless cookware.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Our 65 year old copper bottom Revere Ware pan set still in excellent shape,works better than an enamel pan.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Tri-ply SS is my favorite. I have a couple small non-stick skillets, mostly for eggs. And when they get dinged up I replace them. I have tried the 5 ply SS but they are too heavy to be useful to me and I don't think they have much advantage.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 PM

914 posts, read 643,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Our 65 year old copper bottom Revere Ware pan set still in excellent shape,works better than an enamel pan.
yes, that's the brand I have for the big skillet. I seasoned it myself and really made it a project. I use it even for smaller things. Great quality and made in the u.s.a.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:10 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I love my Circulon pans.

I've also got some really nice stainless steel pans with an extra thick copper bottom on them. The stainless steel takes longer to heat because its got this huge mass of metal on the bottom, but they will caramelize onions just fine. They are "non-stick" because the finish is so fine. The inside of the pan feels like touching glass, it is so smooth.

I claim I take really good care of my pans, but I don't polish the copper on the bottom of the stainless steel pan set. My bad. Other than that, I hand wash my good pots and I only use non-scratch utensils on them, and I'm very careful to not burn them. No one is allowed to touch them with metal of any kind.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
We stir fry vegies a lot and use a good steel wok. Never wash it with soap and it is well seasoned at this point. I love it. It is our most used pan.

For soups we use an enameled steel pot. Creuset I think it is.

For fajitas we use a stainless steel deep skillet. It is uncoated. It cooks well but requires care to keep from sticking.

We have a non-stick pan but rarely use it. Too thin so does not cook well. Except scrambled eggs it works ok.

We cook on a gas stove which makes a difference.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Does anybody here have a "non-stick" frying pan that's had at least a year of regular use, and that food (or burned stuff) DOESN'T stick to?

I've had several different brands of "non-stick" frying pans. Each one started with wonderful "non-stick" properties, nothing stuck to them and they were wonderful.

Then before six months were up, all of them had food sticking to them like mad. Got so I had to use scotch-brite pads and crank in a LOT of elbow grease to get them even remotely clean.

I'm getting REAL tired of this.

What brand do you use? How long has it STAYED "non-stick"?
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a non-stick coating, to stay "perfect". Unless you are a really unusually persnickety person, that coating is gonna get scraped and marked, with use. I never buy a non-stick pan with any expectation of it lasting over 2-3 years (and that is just cooking for me, now - cooking for a family would mean replacing it probably once a year).

But 6 months? Nope. Mine definitely last longer than that. No way would I ever use a scotch-brite on them either - that pretty much ends the non-stick feature.

This is the pan I currently have. I've had it about a year, it has shown little degradation in its non-stick properties. I probably paid $15 for it at TJ Max or HomeGoods.

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Sys...itchen&sr=1-12

Now, if I am cooking a camp breakfast - I'll use my nice (one of 2) seasoned cast iron pan. I can cook bacon, drain it, cook onions and potatoes, take them out, and cook the eggs, and I can clean that pan with just a paper towel. Do it ALL the time. (In fact I just cooked sausage this morning, in it.) Easy to clean, a quick wipe with oil, and put it back in the drawer. Super easy.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do my favorite pot roast in a cast iron Dutch oven... it's my favorite for such things.
Yes! Nothing better for recipes like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink