Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 06:50 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times

Advertisements

I made Ricotta Filling - with eggs- expecting to make ravioli. My dough is a disaster but would like to try the dough again. How long can i keep ricotta-egg filling in fridge? I think freezing would be a textural nightmare once thawed. Thanks!
PS. My failed dough was 1 and 1/2 cup flour and 2 eggs using well method thinking I'd keep it simple. It's like a rock! Any experienced suggestions for success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 08:50 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I made Ricotta Filling - with eggs- expecting to make ravioli. My dough is a disaster but would like to try the dough again. How long can i keep ricotta-egg filling in fridge? I think freezing would be a textural nightmare once thawed. Thanks!
PS. My failed dough was 1 and 1/2 cup flour and 2 eggs using well method thinking I'd keep it simple. It's like a rock! Any experienced suggestions for success?
Hi! I've frozen ricotta filling with success, but when I make ricotta filling it does not have eggs in it. The inclusion of eggs technically shouldn't make much of a difference, though--especially if the ricotta that you used to make the filling was well-drained beforehand. if you go the freezing route, my recommendation, if the thawed filling seems to be overly watery and grainy, is to run it through the food processor to bring things back to together without getting too aggressive with it as you don't want to incorporate too much air.

So far as the dough itself is concerned, the inclusion of water and a bit of fat in the form of olive oil really tends to make the dough easier to handle than simply using eggs and flour. It also makes a firm, yet tender dough that can handle being rolled and filled, yet still has a nice "bite" to it if not overcooked.

The well method is still the way to go (it's what I use for small, at-home quantities). I use warm water (barely more than tepid) and use a light hand with it, adding just enough to make a stiff, yet pliable dough. After a rest period (thirty minutes to an hour...or whenever I get around to it), it's a simple matter to run it through the pasta roller and make whatever filled shapes I desire.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:48 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
I freeze my filling all the time. It has egg, milk, butter, etc in it. The texture thaws to be the same, as does the taste. I don't know why the ricotta container says do not freeze, my mom always did/does so I do too.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies; I know flour, cheese and eggs aren't expensive but I never want to throw food out if I don't have to. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2021, 05:16 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Thanks for the replies; I know flour, cheese and eggs aren't expensive but I never want to throw food out if I don't have to. Thanks!
It all adds up (and I'm the same way. It's pretty rare that I toss out any sort of foodstuffs.) Push comes to shove, you could always use the filling as a layer inside lasagna instead of playing fun with ravioli round #2.

Best of luck and happy pasta-ing!

Old 08-24-2021, 10:01 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
You can freeze it. Give it a good stir after it's thawed, and the consistency should be the same as if it's freshly made.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:32 AM

I feel I owe a follow-up. Freezing Ricotta turned out great! Dough did not survive - was kind of a grayish brown almost green-ish!
I used the Ricotta in no bake Cannaloni shells instead. Why do all the home made pasta dough
s look yellow and supple in videos and mine, despite following direction, are pale and rock hard?

Last edited by RP2C; 09-03-2021 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink