Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 09:37 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,637,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, for ease of sharpening and ability to maintain an edge, high carbon steels are the best. Not high carbon stainless steels, but regular old carbon steel. Yes, it will darken and if you leave it wet it can rust. So what? Don't leave it wet.
I agree but people want to put everything in dishwasher anymore. They complain about the Chinese stainless rusting. Can only imagine how they would react to a neglected plain carbon steel knife. Oiling a carbon steel knife after every use not big deal but still.... Also where do you find an affordable plain carbon steel chef knife? Antique ones not plentiful in USA. There are some but they tend to bring the money, especially ones in good condition, but some Sabatiers for example, even in poor condition.

Ok, looks like Ontario is once again making a chef knife in their Old Hickory line of carbon steel knives.
https://www.baryonyxknife.com/oldhichkn.html Reasonable price. Not a heavy knife at only 4oz. But only game in town at that price point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhJr1w8BAw&t=8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 08:38 AM

This guy gets it, a sharp crappy knife beats a dull great knife every time. LOL... but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAU51AEzho

Old 08-17-2021, 08:41 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,204,296 times
Default Carbon steel vs. stainless steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Here's a list of (I believe?) higher-end kitchen knife brands that I've compiled, but am interested to know if there's any others I've left out.

Mercer
Wusthof
Victorinox
Henckels
Mac
Misono
Kramer By Zwilling

But I'm mainly wondering, which ones are easier to sharpen on a whetstone? I wouldn't wanna get anything that you have to spend a lot of time sharpening. And it's interesting on Amazon how many no-name knives there are. You'll see listings that just say "Kitchen Knife Set...", but no actual brand name. Amazing how all the reviews are really good, all the fake reviews, that is.

So what do you think? What brands or type of knives are quicker / easier to sharpen? I've tried 2 of the roller diamond-style sharpeners that have a handle and they don't work well at all (even though the reviews are remarkably amazing). So I'm going with a whetstone now.

Carbon Steel always, DUH!

Old 08-18-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Here's a list of (I believe?) higher-end kitchen knife brands that I've compiled, but am interested to know if there's any others I've left out.

Mercer
Wusthof
Victorinox
Henckels
Mac
Misono
Kramer By Zwilling

But I'm mainly wondering, which ones are easier to sharpen on a whetstone? I wouldn't wanna get anything that you have to spend a lot of time sharpening. And it's interesting on Amazon how many no-name knives there are. You'll see listings that just say "Kitchen Knife Set...", but no actual brand name. Amazing how all the reviews are really good, all the fake reviews, that is.

So what do you think? What brands or type of knives are quicker / easier to sharpen? I've tried 2 of the roller diamond-style sharpeners that have a handle and they don't work well at all (even though the reviews are remarkably amazing). So I'm going with a whetstone now.
Its just complicated sometimes with so many options. A whetstone is fine, even a $20 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAM04Xg0yE

BUT it also depends on condition of your knife. You really need a coarse or extra coarse stone (100 to 300 grit) to reshape an edge as it will take lot longer with a finer grit stone, meaning a stone much like is sold to sharpen garden tools, then medium stone (400 to 600 grit) to refine it and at least a 1000 to 1500 grit stone to polish it, though stropping with jewelers rouge nice final step, a highly polished edge will last longer than a rough one. Rough edges only seem sharp cause you are basically giving them micro serrations. These are weak and dont last long.

Thinner blades of any metal will tend to sharpen faster than thicker ones. Less metal to remove thinning the edge. Hollow ground knives, ones really hollow ground , not just bevel in the metal will sharpen faster. Again the edge is thinner so you have to remove less metal. And best knives are tapered both spine to edge and also tip to handle. Profile can make lot difference in how easily they move through food.

Get yourself a $20 whetstone and a thin blade knife from thrift store and practice, see how long it takes you. Watch the videos of people that know how to use a whetstone, its mostly technique. You can even use an old brick or river stone though of course like most things, the cheaper you go, the more skill you tend to need to be successful.

There is some guy hawking carbide knife sharpening gizmos on youtube. People bring him cheap and weird stuff to sharpen. Thrift store knives, putty knives, cheese knives, cake decorating knives, butter knives, you name it.... His gizmo (square edge bit of tungsten carbide welded to piece of steel in plastic handle) does work but if you notice it all in his technique. You cant force it. and if no existing edge it can take more time. You can buy a sharpener much like what he is hawking for less than $10, look on Amazon for the one sold to sharpen Corona pruners. Again though watch his technique and pay attention to what he says. He has one video that earned him respect in my eyes, he said if you lose your magic gizmo, you can sharpen knife on a rock and proceeds to show how. Cause that wont earn him any money, but does earn some good will.

Here is the one where he sharpens on a rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAfe8ZYnlSU

If you want to see his gizmo videos, just search for his channel. There are oodles of them. Again I havent tried his gizmo nor the Corona clone gizmo, but proof in seeing it done. But its his technique that makes it work, cant say that enough. Just like using a whetstone or a rock, its all in the technique. There is no magic, whatever way you sharpen, technique matters. As does practice, practice, practice. I might even pick up one of those Corona knockoffs next time I make an Amazon order. If I can get it to work, be nice to carry around in car glovebox for emergency sharpening.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:08 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like Victoronix
And I do use a 3 sided stone
[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

These are my Victoronix knives
Been using and sharpening knives
For close to 40 years
Attached Thumbnails
Which Brands/Type Of Kitchen Knives Are Easiest To Sharpen With A Whetstone?-dec376f5-f500-4edb-b8d6-51010f323d20.jpeg  

Old 08-19-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

These are my Victoronix knives
Been using and sharpening knives
For close to 40 years
The pic doesnt show lot closeup detail, but even so I can see that nice even shiny edge the length of the blade on several of your knives. That is sign knife is sharp. Can see pics of knives on ebay that claim sharpness, but in pics you can tell they arent, the shiny is intermittent and uneven looking and some the photo even shows rough edge where they must used a grinder or some gadget. I suppose idea of knife being sharp helps sell it, but honest if I am buying a used knife, I would rather it was left dull and I sharpen it to my standards. Even worse you can see some NEW knives arent very sharp, this in the pics they choose to advertise with.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:07 PM

Interesting take on sharpening a knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPGGo3W15HQ

Old 09-04-2021, 01:49 PM

Worksharp, can it sharpen a credit card.... a table knife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_eLMWLWKE&t=169s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink