Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Anyone feel the same way?
Nope. Not at all. I find those to be completely bland. I do my own all the time in batches on the smoker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 10:01 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Anyone feel the same way?
Convenience is very important sometimes. We still make rotisserie chicken sometimes especially if we are going to the beach. I get up early and bake it and then cut it up put it in a bowl with some sides and we have a hell of a meal right at the beach

Last edited by 1orlando; 10-23-2019 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I can see that for a busy family, a good rotisserie chicken makes a lot of sense.

The key to a home roasted bird is a dry rub that has salt in it. I do Thanksgiving turkeys that way, and I think chickens benefit from same. I suspect that at least some places wet brine their birds, so that the flesh is salty. I am guessing here, but that might be what the OP is missing in the home roasted bird.

I do agree that a whole chicken is expensive. For a family, or for quick roasting, perhaps roasting chicken pieces on a cookie sheet might be better. But I like a dry rub with salt applied on chicken, and left uncovered in the fridge for several hours (if possible) before roasting.

My favorite commercially roated birds are from Costco and Whole Foods.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:56 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
I no longer eat meat but my family does. I dislike preparing those whole birds anymore. On Saturday I can get a decent sized rotisserie one at Whole Foods for $5.99. Not even worth making it myself.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:49 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
My grilled spatchcocked chicken is way, way better than any grocery store roast chicken. Most of them that I have had use some weird flavored "savory" marinade, the skin is rubbery and usually gets tossed out.

Flavor and quality are not even close. And grilling a chicken is super easy. Take a whole chicken, 5 minutes to spatchcock it, add a little seasoning, throw it on the grill for 1.5 hours or so, take it off you are done. Burn off the grill for the next round.
Seems like a long time for a spatchcocked bird on the grill.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:51 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have to - only way I can get it organic. If a roasted org chicken is out there,
it would be stupidly expensive....and my many diff flavorings are the best.
The chicken is fall apart tender and juicy. 'Low and slow'.
At the end I can make the skin perfect.

Sam's Club was the best ever until I went organic.
No more little hairs growing on my chin because of the chicken hormones, yay!
And the house gets all toasty and wonderful smelling...so worth it.
You do know that chickens are not, nor ever have been, given hormones. I have to laugh when I see all the chicken advertised as hormone free. Might as well advertise them as nuclear waste free.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:06 AM

136 posts, read 98,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I did one a few weeks ago in my 6 quart instant pot. I had A LOT of trouble finding a chicken small enough! I doubt anything more than a 3.5 pounder would fit in there. The meat was VERY moist, juicy and tender, but It looked unappetizing and the skin was kinda gross. Frankly, it was one of the few things I've cooked in the IP that I probably wouldn't repeat. Here's the recipe I used (my neighbor who is a very good cook suggested it, so I was confident about this one.) It didn't turn out anything like the photo.

I roast whole chicken very often - probably 3-4 times per month. I use it for dinner parties, for small and large crowds. I used to do it on the BBQ rotisserie, but now make DH's life easy by using the oven. If I'm only making one bird, it's likely to be the cast iron method. Sanderson 5-7 pound chickens if at all possible.

I frequently pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. Who can resist the smell and the $4.99 price???
I just did 2 cornish hens in a 6 quart instant pot, when it finished, I baked them in the oven for about 10 minutes and browned them up. They looked good then and tasted fantastic!

Old 10-24-2019, 05:17 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
In college, I would do them in my toaster oven.

Today, I have more mouths to feed. I do 2 at a time in my electric smoker with the cold smoker unit turned off.... essentially an outdoor oven.

In a pinch, we also like Costco chicken.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Does anyone use a multi-cooker to roast a chicken? What size chicken in which size cooker (qts)?
I did use the air fryer to roast a large chicken I had purchased at Sam's. It did a good job but the mess was not worth it. Our air fryer does have a spit, but I couldn't seem to get it to work, and the glass on the door got dirty between the layers. Now my air fryer looks like I have never even cleaned it. This is the same, supposedly top of the line air fryer given to us about 6 months ago. I think we will stick with already roasted chickens from Sam's or somewhere else. $4.95 is such a deal. Or like usayit does, use the electric smoker.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:59 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Why all the “innovative” ways of cooking things? Plop it on a pan, oil it, salt and pepper it, and stick it in the oven for an hour or so. What’s so hard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink