Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 03:21 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

I don't normally do a whole chicken roasted because it is more than we can eat.

The same for the Costco chickens. They are delicious and the price is excellent, but it is too much food, so I don't buy them very often.

If I do roast a whole chicken, I slice a whole lemon into fine slices and peel and crush 10-12 garlic cloves and put them into the cavity. I have a heavy chicken roasting pan where the lid will baste and the chicken gets nice and brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I used to, but Costco sells them cooked for $4.99 (delicious) and I haven’t seen a whole raw chicken for less than about $7.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
No, but I don't buy them either.

I get turkey free for the butchering, so I don't eat (buy) much chicken, but when I do it's typically grilled. I might slow cook some or make soup, and one I my "go to" meals for large numbers is my chicken curry over rice, but last time I did that with a 10lb bag of chicken leg quarters.

I DO buy fried chicken vs making it myself. Yes mine is better, but yesterday I got 12 pieces of dark meat (my preference) for $5.99 at a local chain.... Not worth the cleanup. (although I'll fry wings in my cast iron wok occasionally, those are obscenely priced at reasturants!)

Old 10-22-2019, 04:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
yes.
we do.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I roast chicken in the oven. It always turns out fine. I don't do anything special. Roasting a chicken is dead simple.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:00 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I've done both but honestly the supermarket one is just a lot easier and tastier

Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Anyone feel the same way?
Nope. Those things are never cooked long enough for me

Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Anyone feel the same way?
Marinated and then grilled with fresh herbs and spices! If I have the time I’d much rather do it myself so I know for sure what I’m getting.

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-14-2021 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 07:05 PM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I frequently pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. Who can resist the smell and the $4.99 price???
^^^
I like the chickens from Costco the most, although chickens in the US don't taste like roasted, but more like cooked. The meat consistency of a real rotisserie chicken is different. Perhaps it has something to do with the chickens plumped with water solution?
That said - I have rotisserie oven at home, but mostly buy chicken from Costco. Not too crazy about the meat consistency, but I do like the way they season it.

BTW:
So why are rotisserie chickens so inexpensive?

Some mega-grocers like Costco have dedicated rotisserie chicken programs, but employees report that standard supermarkets routinely pop unsold chickens from the butcher into the ol' rotisserie oven.
By selling them at a lower price, grocery stores make less money than they would on raw birds, but way more money than they would if they tossed the chickens out.

Repurposing unsold products is pretty common in grocery stores. Supermarket consultants have admitted that vegetables and meat are often thrown into premade salads or deli items to minimize waste. Even rotisserie chickens that don’t sell are chopped up and thrown into a creamy chicken salad!
https://www.kcet.org/food/grocery-st...ckens-so-cheap
But you have nothing to fear from that grocery store rotisserie chicken, you could actually be doing a triple good deed by purchasing it - making your life easier, keeping prices down for your fellow shoppers, and helping the environment.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I have to - only way I can get it organic. If a roasted org chicken is out there,
it would be stupidly expensive....and my many diff flavorings are the best.
The chicken is fall apart tender and juicy. 'Low and slow'.
At the end I can make the skin perfect.

Sam's Club was the best ever until I went organic.
No more little hairs growing on my chin because of the chicken hormones, yay!
And the house gets all toasty and wonderful smelling...so worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink