Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,047,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why all the “innovative” ways of cooking things? Plop it on a pan, oil it, salt and pepper it, and stick it in the oven for an hour or so. What’s so hard?
AND, then I get what can't be had from a store chick...hot crispy skin!
I strip as much off as I can and eat it first.
If any one food is going to cause my death, that's what it will be
I did succumb to this and another thread about Costco chicken and bought one last week.
It was good, it was big but falling apart. I was amazed to find it all trussed up with string.
That was all holding one leg on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Anyone feel the same way?

I always roast my own as I do it upside down so all the juices move through the breasts into the pan rather than vice versa.Makes for a very succulent chicken.

I drain all the juices from the pan and cool, scraping off most of the solidified fat and using what's left for the start of a soup using the carcass boiled to make the stock.

Also,by doing it myself I also get to roast potatoes and vegetables at the same time.

I do all of this in a 50-year-old converted oil-fired Aga.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:37 AM

3,264 posts, read 1,774,019 times
Quote:
We made a roasted chicken the other night. Between the cost of the actual chicken, the time it took to roast (vertical roaster on the grill) and the complete mess of a cleanup, I decided to stick with the Publix version.

Yup.
Haven't roasted a chicken at home in over 30 years... and never will.
Totally NOT worth the time and effort.
It's sorta become like cereal to me... who would 'make their own' Cheerios?

But I don't bake, so there's that also.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:14 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I did one a few weeks ago in my 6 quart instant pot. I had A LOT of trouble finding a chicken small enough! I doubt anything more than a 3.5 pounder would fit in there. The meat was VERY moist, juicy and tender, but It looked unappetizing and the skin was kinda gross. Frankly, it was one of the few things I've cooked in the IP that I probably wouldn't repeat. Here's the recipe I used (my neighbor who is a very good cook suggested it, so I was confident about this one.) It didn't turn out anything like the photo.

I roast whole chicken very often - probably 3-4 times per month. I use it for dinner parties, for small and large crowds. I used to do it on the BBQ rotisserie, but now make DH's life easy by using the oven. If I'm only making one bird, it's likely to be the cast iron method. Sanderson 5-7 pound chickens if at all possible.

I frequently pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. Who can resist the smell and the $4.99 price???
Either before or after you chuck it in the Instant Pot.. throw it under the broiler until the skin gets brown. After is better unless it's cooked to the point where it's falling apart. I have the larger Instant Pot though so I love making my organic chicken in that.
I get so many meals out of that one chicken that I freeze a lot of it, especially the broth. But, you can get a lot of meals with a ready cooked chicken too.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,491,009 times
Quote:

Yes. Someone chastised me for recommending roasted chicken OCCASIONALLY, as a frugal food choice, saying that roasting it yourself is the frugal choice.

Maybe, maybe not. But roasted chickens at Walmart are $6. The cost of RAW fryers has increased significantly over the years. Add the cost of the raw chicken, the electricity/gas it costs you to roast it yourself = the cost of buying it from WalMart or close to it.

Also, I live in the very hot south. It would actually add to the cost of a/c to run the oven to roast a chicken, so add that cost, for the summer. Frankly, I don't use the oven at all in the summer here.

I doubt that WalMart/Sam's Club makes any money off those roasted chickens. It's a draw to get customers in the store.

One advantage for cooking it yourself is that you can season it how you like (like less sodium). But I buy the roasted chickens only occasionally, so not a big deal. I love them. But I eat the skin, and they are pretty fattening & high fat, so I limit it.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:56 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,125,646 times
Just got my weekly grocery flyers in the mail:
Von's and Stater Brothers are selling whole Foster Farm chickens at .89/lb

That's quite the deal!

Old 10-24-2019, 04:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,382,898 times
I prefer home roasted chicken by far, but will buy a Costco chicken from time to time for convenience.

I don’t do either very often, but that will probably change when my daughter is older.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:11 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,479,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes. Someone chastised me for recommending roasted chicken OCCASIONALLY, as a frugal food choice, saying that roasting it yourself is the frugal choice.

Maybe, maybe not. But roasted chickens at Walmart are $6. The cost of RAW fryers has increased significantly over the years. Add the cost of the raw chicken, the electricity/gas it costs you to roast it yourself = the cost of buying it from WalMart or close to it.

Also, I live in the very hot south. It would actually add to the cost of a/c to run the oven to roast a chicken, so add that cost, for the summer. Frankly, I don't use the oven at all in the summer here.

I doubt that WalMart/Sam's Club makes any money off those roasted chickens. It's a draw to get customers in the store.

One advantage for cooking it yourself is that you can season it how you like (like less sodium). But I buy the roasted chickens only occasionally, so not a big deal. I love them. But I eat the skin, and they are pretty fattening & high fat, so I limit it.
Welcome to the root cause of America's obesity epidemic.
Where food is treated as a commodity to be produced as quickly, cheaply and as effortlessly as possible.
Cheap food is invariably bad food .
And fast food is always bad food.
By removing the skill and enjoyment of sourcing, preparing and cooking food you reduce it to the lowest common denominator.
It's just sustenance rather than something to be cherished.
Who cares about flavour, spices, herbs that have been at the heart of cooking for centuries when you can get someone else to cook the crap out of it while you get on with the important job of hardening your arteries as you channel-surf the TV.
Hey kids, forget about learning where your protein comes from, what sort of life it led, how good it really is when you can watch your parents return from the Costco with an instant meal in a bag.
Food is the source of life . It should be treated with respect even if it's just a cheap battery chicken from a supermarket.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 725,085 times
A few years back I stumbled across an old Ronco Showtime rotisserie for $25. I bought it, not knowing what to expect. I was amazed at the results, Now I rotisserie chicken roughly two chickens a week, when they are on sale, three to four in a week. Generally one is eaten as is and the rest stripped from the bones and used on salads, in various types of Chinese dishes, tacos, pot pie, pulled BBQ, Mexican food, etc.

We have a lot of immigrants and illegal aliens in our community and many of them raise chickens and rabbit on the side and sell them at a live kill shop. They hold them in cages and you can select you chicken, turkey, rabbit, goose or duck, then you can leave the room or watch them kill and process it. The taste is amazing.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,465,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
All the time.
This. Convection roast in the oven after sprinkling on Lawrys seasoning results in tender flavorful chicken with crispy skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink