Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 10:32 AM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I currently have a pound or so of shoulder steak for London broil simmering away in a Dutch oven going on my stovetop (I can smell it from upstairs !). Typically I use this cut of meat in my slow cooker or Dutch oven because it is SO tender and delicious after several hours of cooking. Often I cook it with soups and have it over noodles or rice, but today I want to have it with a simple sauce.

SO: what are some sauces that would go nicely with it? I often have it with Thai sweet chili sauce (that seems to be my go-to sauce for everything), peanut sauce, or even barbecue sauce, but I am open to other suggestions. It just has to be EASY as I have to spend most of my day grading papers (UGH!) so I can't fuss over dinner.

Oh, I will have the beef with my usual half-plate of cooked veggies! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Alas, it's dinner time, so I have to go eat ... without any suggestions.

I'll report back on how it turned out ...

Old 11-16-2019, 02:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Make tacos with salsa, lettuce, onion, etc.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Make tacos with salsa, lettuce, onion, etc.
That's so funny, Debsi, as that IS what I decided on: beef soft tacos. I then realized I was out of tortillas, which is very unusual for me -- usually I have some in the freezer, but nope. OK, I thought, I'll just have the meat, salsa, cheese, etc. in a bowl -- that would work fine. BUT then I realized I was also out of taco seasoning -- which again is usually something I have on hand (actually, I usually have a LOT of it on hand!).

(How on earth am I out of these basics?! )

So, after I realized I didn't really have what I needed for actual TACOS, I decided to mix the beef (which was fork-tender by then) with some of Newman's Own black bean and corn salsa, one of my favorites, and which (surprise, surprise!), I actually HAD. I heated up the salsa in a bowl, added several ounces of the meat, sprinkled some cheese over it, and nuked it for a minute or so. I had it with about half an avocado on the side.

My phone was upstairs charging so I couldn't take a photo, but it was surprisingly good. So thank you for the suggestion -- next time I go to Hannaford I will have to stock up on "taco basics"!

Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
the flavor of that steak is very good....

if I had to do a quick mix....id mix bbq sauce with A-1 ….or A-1 with teriyaki sauce ..
then baste the shoulder steak..

Old 11-16-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the flavor of that steak is very good....
I always buy many, many pounds of it when it goes on sale! My basement freezer must still have at least a dozen packages of it. It is SO versatile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if I had to do a quick mix....id mix bbq sauce with A-1 ….or A-1 with teriyaki sauce .. then baste the shoulder steak..
Hmmm, I have all 3 of those sauces. Tomorrow I was just going to use bbq sauce for convenience, but I may try A-1 with teriyaki sauce -- that sounds like a good combo! Thanks, MBM!

Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I often have it with Thai sweet chili sauce (that seems to be my go-to sauce for everything)
BTW, if you like Thai sweet Chile sauce, try Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Red Chili Sauce. It's just delicious on wings and pork spareribs. Hotter than the Thai sweet sauce but not overpowering.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BTW, if you like Thai sweet Chile sauce, try Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Red Chili Sauce. It's just delicious on wings and pork spareribs. Hotter than the Thai sweet sauce but not overpowering.

Sweet Baby Ray's is the barbecue sauce I use so I bet I will love this after I buy some (which I will promptly do, LOL!). Thanks!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 AM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Saturday afternoons are hard to get quick responses. sorry I missed the opportunity to share this one I found on a recent post. Mushrooms and beef or pork are a pairing made in culinary heaven. The following recipe sounds perfect ---next time

Mushroom Gravy
Saute lots of sliced mushrooms with some minced onion in olive oil, S&P, perhaps some garlic, and some sage. When mushrooms have softened and darkened, stick it all in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. then make a typical roux with flour & olive oil, vegetable broth and add the blitzed mushroom mixture. Taste to adjust seasonings.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Saturday afternoons are hard to get quick responses. sorry I missed the opportunity to share this one I found on a recent post. Mushrooms and beef or pork are a pairing made in culinary heaven. The following recipe sounds perfect ---next time
With the shoulder steak, there is ALWAYS a "next time"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
Mushroom Gravy
Saute lots of sliced mushrooms with some minced onion in olive oil, S&P, perhaps some garlic, and some sage. When mushrooms have softened and darkened, stick it all in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. then make a typical roux with flour & olive oil, vegetable broth and add the blitzed mushroom mixture. Taste to adjust seasonings.
That gravy sounds terrific -- I am going to try it! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink