U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 07:12 PM

17,087 posts, read 27,557,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If it's about too much carb, I use almond and coconut flours.
Interesting!!! I'm going to have to google that! Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 PM

1,480 posts, read 540,616 times
Air fryers are convection ovens in a bucket.
Like a regular oven they have a heating element and like a convection oven they have a fan that circulates the hot air.
Why not just get a microwave/convection oven, reduce appliance clutter and save space?

Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Status: "Don't mind me, I'm not really here." (set 15 days ago)

173 posts, read 25,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have used the air fryer to cook those bread rolls in a can, it comes out fine. I cook things like fish or egg rolls from frozen. I cook meat & chicken in it also, but they are always defrosted. It makes breaded items such as fish, or shrimp, crispier than in the oven.
I have done pre-cooked, breaded shrimp in my and I like how that comes out.
I want to try doing the canned biscuits. Are they buttermilk biscuits or crescent rolls? How long did you cook them?

Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 PM

4,214 posts, read 1,885,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Air fryers are convection ovens in a bucket.
Like a regular oven they have a heating element and like a convection oven they have a fan that circulates the hot air.
Why not just get a microwave/convection oven, reduce appliance clutter and save space?
Excellent suggestion. You can also get a countertop convection oven; usually cheaper and with greater capacity than an air fryer.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:21 AM

73,653 posts, read 86,076,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Interesting. I thought that I wanted an Instant Pot, I actually bought one, and then I panicked about the pressure-cooking aspect of it and returned it unused. It's just not my thing, but I know -- and totally understand why -- so many people swear by it.
Sorry Dawn you panicked because they are not anything like the old fashion pressure cookers some of us grew up with or if didn't grow up with have heard about them. The reason, if nothing else inta pots are safer now is they are electric and automatically will shut off when the food is cooked but will keep it hot for qquite awhile. However, so far I don't know anyone who think that insta pots can do the same as air fryers as well as air fryers I only use 2 appliances on my counter. One is my pressure cooker and one is my air fryer. I have a lot neater kitchen that way, rarely use the oven and have gotten rid of my toaster oven.

Though I never tried frozen meats in the air fryer, I can't see why they would not work, just play around with cooking time. My favorite foods in the air fryer: roasted veggies, Salmon and chicken wings. I probably average using it 5 days a week including breakfast. My pressure cooker, probably 3 times and both are super easy to clean. My daughter uses her's much less as they go out more than we do and her hubby loves to grill. still she loves both appliances

Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry Dawn you panicked because they are not anything like the old fashion pressure cookers some of us grew up with or if didn't grow up with have heard about them. The reason, if nothing else inta pots are safer now is they are electric and automatically will shut off when the food is cooked but will keep it hot for qquite awhile. However, so far I don't know anyone who think that insta pots can do the same as air fryers as well as air fryers I only use 2 appliances on my counter. One is my pressure cooker and one is my air fryer. I have a lot neater kitchen that way, rarely use the oven and have gotten rid of my toaster oven.

Though I never tried frozen meats in the air fryer, I can't see why they would not work, just play around with cooking time. My favorite foods in the air fryer: roasted veggies, Salmon and chicken wings. I probably average using it 5 days a week including breakfast. My pressure cooker, probably 3 times and both are super easy to clean. My daughter uses her's much less as they go out more than we do and her hubby loves to grill. still she loves both appliances
I was waiting for you to comment, Nita! As I was writing the OP, I thought "this will be Nita's place to shine!!"

Fair enough on the "not your old-school" pressure cooker, although I've never used one, whether old-fashioned or otherwise.

When you said "My favorite foods in the air fryer: roasted veggies, Salmon and chicken wings. I probably average using it 5 days a week." did enough to convince me that an air fryer would be something that I'd enjoy and get use out of. Thank you!!!!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM

14,459 posts, read 24,609,671 times
AN air fryer is nothing more than an electric motorized fan with a stove element that blows hot air on the food. For me, it works really well as it means that in the hot months in Arizona, I do not need to use my oven as much. The air fryer pus a good crisp on the food and eliminates the need for a lot of frying. If I need to roast potatoes, it takes about 65 minutes in the traditional over or 20 minutes in the airfryer.

Two other benefits are obvious. First, you use almost no oil. I hate to deep fry because of having to deal with all that fat. Also, cleaning up my air fryer is very easy and takes less than a minute.

I am not one who buys a lot of the home appliances. The air fryer is the first appliance that I have added to my kitchen in 25 years.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 AM

23,619 posts, read 17,912,421 times
Quote:
Once again, I'm trying to convince myself to get an air fryer. I'm just not sure what I can make in it and what the benefits are. I don't want to make breaded stuff. I don't fry anything (just saute) currently. So I guess my questions are:

- Can I make a piece of tenderloin or a steak in there? From frozen?
- Can I throw a frozen chicken breast (already seasoned) in it?
- Can I make fresh (albeit frozen) shrimp in it? (It doesn't take long to defrost so the frozen part isn't really of issue.)
- How about a frozen piece of salmon? Just toss that in there?

Also:

- What are your favorite things to make in your air fryer?
- What are the biggest benefits (aside from no oil and not heating up your kitchen) that you enjoy from your air fryer?

Thanks!

We use it for a lot of things from spare ribs to chicken drumsticks to heating up a slice of pizza (you don't have to wait for oven to heat up but don't get soggy slice from the microwave) to breakfast potatoes, frozen tater tots and french fries. I like it because things come out crispy without oil (although it's not a substitute for deep frying) and because it's easy and quick. It cleans up amazingly easy. I have never put frozen chicken or meat in there, I defrost it in the microwave first so I can season it, but I have put ready made frozen foods in there with no problems.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
AN air fryer is nothing more than an electric motorized fan with a stove element that blows hot air on the food. For me, it works really well as it means that in the hot months in Arizona, I do not need to use my oven as much. The air fryer pus a good crisp on the food and eliminates the need for a lot of frying. If I need to roast potatoes, it takes about 65 minutes in the traditional over or 20 minutes in the airfryer.

Two other benefits are obvious. First, you use almost no oil. I hate to deep fry because of having to deal with all that fat. Also, cleaning up my air fryer is very easy and takes less than a minute.

I am not one who buys a lot of the home appliances. The air fryer is the first appliance that I have added to my kitchen in 25 years.
You had me at roast potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We use it for a lot of things from spare ribs to chicken drumsticks to heating up a slice of pizza (you don't have to wait for oven to heat up but don't get soggy slice from the microwave) to breakfast potatoes, frozen tater tots and french fries. I like it because things come out crispy without oil (although it's not a substitute for deep frying) and because it's easy and quick. It cleans up amazingly easy. I have never put frozen chicken or meat in there, I defrost it in the microwave first so I can season it, but I have put ready made frozen foods in there with no problems.
You had me at pizza.

I'm getting one. Thanks everybody!

Old 11-21-2019, 12:00 PM

1,334 posts, read 230,421 times
Quote:
Once again, I'm trying to convince myself to get an air fryer. I'm just not sure what I can make in it and what the benefits are. I don't want to make breaded stuff. I don't fry anything (just saute) currently. So I guess my questions are:

- Can I make a piece of tenderloin or a steak in there? From frozen?
- Can I throw a frozen chicken breast (already seasoned) in it?
- Can I make fresh (albeit frozen) shrimp in it? (It doesn't take long to defrost so the frozen part isn't really of issue.)
- How about a frozen piece of salmon? Just toss that in there?

Also:

- What are your favorite things to make in your air fryer?
- What are the biggest benefits (aside from no oil and not heating up your kitchen) that you enjoy from your air fryer?

Thanks!

You can cook meat, chicken, shrimp, salmon, etc. Anything frozen takes a bit longer to cook.
I cooked a 4lbs whole chicken a couple days ago. It came out nice. How does coconut shrimp sound?

Favorite things to make:

Fresh french fries
Fish fries (salmon, haddock, cod, etc)
Chicken Nuggets (fresh or frozen)
Whole Fresh Chicken
Coconut Shrimp
Cherry Pie
Pizza Rolls (Fresh, Frozen)
Egg/Spring Rolls (Fresh, Frozen)
Hotdogs, Sausages (Fresh, Frozen)

Biggest benefits:

It's easy to whip up a quick meal. Frees up oven to do other cooking tasks. It's easier to check on meal. You don't need to worry about turning it off. IE: Set it to cook 20 minutes, it cooks and shuts off
after the 20 minutes. Your meal is still nice and hot.

I've had my over 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I had a convection oven and it was my other go to. But it died a few months ago. I am going to replace it when I can.

In my house we go in this order.

Air Fryer
Convection Oven
Microwave Oven
Conventional Oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink