U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:57 PM

17,088 posts, read 27,561,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Ours sits in the closet, beside my Instapot, and several other latest and greatest fads my wife bought that we no longer use. Ill pull out the fryer occasionally and make a few chicken wings, but thats if Im home alone and no one else to cook for.
Is there room in the closet? I'll send you mine if it ends up with the same fate.

I don't keep anything on the counter -- I don't like appliance clutter -- so it'll be inside a cabinet unless I pull it out to use it. That might be my downfall -- out of sight, out of mind. But I hope that I'll remember it and use it. I like the concept of it more than that of the Instant Pot (which I returned unused) or the crockpot (which I have).

Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 04:20 PM

7,518 posts, read 13,208,676 times
Dawn, thanks for starting this thread! I bought an air fryer probably a year ago but have only used it a few times -- just haven't had time to sit, go through the recipe book, look at some online sources of things to make in it, etc. This thread gave me LOTS of ideas and now I am excited to use it again.

I look forward to reading about what you make with it, Dawn!

Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 PM

216 posts, read 77,153 times
I've enjoyed all the input provided by everyone posting. People who have air fryers keep urging us to buy one, but when I ask what they use it for, it's all fried or breaded foods and of that type of food we eat only frozen French fries and I use breading for pork chops. Our wall ovens are both convection and conventional ovens and I use a crisper pan when I cook the pork chops and French fries, but they tell us the air fryers would be far better. Do those of you who have the air fryers feel we would see that much improvement to justify another appliance? I'd appreciate your input. While I don't want to fall victim to senior peer pressure LOL, I also don't want to miss out on something.

I grew up with parents who used a pressure cooker, but when we got one as a wedding gift, it freaked my husband out because he knows people who had one blow up. So while I'd love an Instapot, he says it's just a new pressure cooker. Then again, if I was to add the Instapot and Air Fryer to the Foreman Grill, the Ninja Cooker, the crock pot, etc., I may as well just go buy one of those rice steamers, the hot dogger and the cotton candy maker and line the counters with appliances. I'm trying to stamp out my appliance envy.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 PM

8,337 posts, read 3,751,236 times
I gave my instant pot to my sister. Got the ninja foodie. It does everything the instant pot does and has a built in air fryer too. You can use the same recipes as the instant pot because they both have the pressure cooker feature.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:53 AM

73,663 posts, read 86,086,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is there room in the closet? I'll send you mine if it ends up with the same fate.

I don't keep anything on the counter -- I don't like appliance clutter -- so it'll be inside a cabinet unless I pull it out to use it. That might be my downfall -- out of sight, out of mind. But I hope that I'll remember it and use it. I like the concept of it more than that of the Instant Pot (which I returned unused) or the crockpot (which I have).

Time will tell.
I am not a lover of counter clutter either. That is why I use my pressure cooking and air fryer almost exclusively. I can do all my cooking and not have a cluttered mess and yet, I don't have to pull out a different appliance every time I cook. They are sitting right there. Oh, I do have my coffee pot on the counter as well

Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 AM

73,663 posts, read 86,086,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I gave my instant pot to my sister. Got the ninja foodie. It does everything the instant pot does and has a built in air fryer too. You can use the same recipes as the instant pot because they both have the pressure cooker feature.
Now that makes sense. I just, could not do this simple because my air fryer was given to me by a very close friend and I see her often and the pressure cooker was given to me for Christmas by my daughter. Thus I used both of them most of the time.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 3,655,996 times
I would like to try an air fryer, but my kitchen counters already are overloaded with appliances including toaster oven, instant pot, Foodsaver, kettle, dehydrator, etc.

If an air fryer totally replaces a toaster oven, it sounds worth it. The toaster is the oldest, most primitive, and dirtiest thing in the kitchen!

Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 AM

18,898 posts, read 24,307,702 times
I cook just about everything in mine...from steak to chicken to even a lobster

its essentially a broiler with the element on top ….but its quick and easy to clean

Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM

11,748 posts, read 5,488,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Thanks!

Old 11-23-2019, 01:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 789,027 times
The thing for me is, when you consider the overall operation from getting the thing out to cleaning it, is it easier than cooking some other way.
I have a small air fryer that I use to make things just for myself.
I've done french fries. I've also just thrown the FF in a cast iron skillet. I just like potatoes. Either way is good
The AF seems like the best way to reheat fried chicken.
It's pretty good for brats, I cook a whole package, eat one and refrigerate the rest for later, than nuke them in the microwave.
I have made those frozen breaded sandwich sized fish fillets.

The AF could be pretty useful if you were in a dorm or hotel room with no other way to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink