Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Looking for unique Air Fryer ideas... no fried chicken, french fries. Not the obvious stuff.

I'm talking like fried avocado slices and other ideas that aren't so obvious.

What are your favorite unique or surprising Air Fryer ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Default What do you make in your air fryer, and why do you love it?

Once again, I'm trying to convince myself to get an air fryer. I'm just not sure what I can make in it and what the benefits are. I don't want to make breaded stuff. I don't fry anything (just saute) currently. So I guess my questions are:

- Can I make a piece of tenderloin or a steak in there? From frozen?
- Can I throw a frozen chicken breast (already seasoned) in it?
- Can I make fresh (albeit frozen) shrimp in it? (It doesn't take long to defrost so the frozen part isn't really of issue.)
- How about a frozen piece of salmon? Just toss that in there?

Also:

- What are your favorite things to make in your air fryer?
- What are the biggest benefits (aside from no oil and not heating up your kitchen) that you enjoy from your air fryer?

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:50 PM

484 posts, read 197,906 times
Honestly? I wouldn't get one. We have one because everyone ranted and raved about them and how wonderful they are, but I don't use mine very much. Of the 2, I think an Instapot would be a better deal.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
Honestly? I wouldn't get one. We have one because everyone ranted and raved about them and how wonderful they are, but I don't use mine very much. Of the 2, I think an Instapot would be a better deal.
Interesting. I thought that I wanted an Instant Pot, I actually bought one, and then I panicked about the pressure-cooking aspect of it and returned it unused. It's just not my thing, but I know -- and totally understand why -- so many people swear by it.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I have both the IP and air fryer. I used to cook meat a lot in the air fryer. These days I use it to make breads and roast vegetables. It's an oven in smaller form. It's portable. I use it in the garage so there is no heat and food smell in the house. It's a good item to have.

I have never used it to cook frozen meat, so I can't answer your questions.

Why do I like it?

It's inexpensive, portable, uses less energy than a big oven, and cooks things in half the time.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-20-2019 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have both the IP and air fryer. I used to cook meat a lot in the air fryer. These days I use it to make breads and roast vegetables. It's an oven in smaller form. It's portable. I use it in the garage so there is no heat and food smell in the house. It's a good item to have.

I have never used it to cook frozen meat, so I can't answer your questions.

Why do I like it?

It's inexpensive, portable, uses less energy than a big oven, and cooks things in half the time.

It is cheaper than using the regular oven. I don't think it would work well to cook frozen meat. I would love to know how you make bread in it?
It does make french fries and other pre-breaded things well. I tried pork chops in there last week with a breading on it, that was pretty good, but I should have turned them halfway through. I really need to try to use it more.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Interesting. I thought that I wanted an Instant Pot, I actually bought one, and then I panicked about the pressure-cooking aspect of it and returned it unused. It's just not my thing, but I know -- and totally understand why -- so many people swear by it.

I have a friend who had a problem with her pressure cooker and refuses to use it again. My mom used to use a pressure cooker, but I was never taught how to use it, but I know a lot of people love the instapot for cooking the frozen meat faster in it.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Here is a video of how to make bread in an air fryer. This is not the recipe I would use, but the idea is you can make breads in an air fryer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZo1mE80ck

Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I have used the air fryer to cook those bread rolls in a can, it comes out fine. I cook things like fish or egg rolls from frozen. I cook meat & chicken in it also, but they are always defrosted. It makes breaded items such as fish, or shrimp, crispier than in the oven.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Here is a video of how to make bread in an air fryer. This is not the recipe I would use, but the idea is you can make breads in an air fryer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZo1mE80ck
I'm trying to eat LESS bread, David!

It's my favorite food group, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes