Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times

Advertisements

What are cuisines most suitable to buffet/all you can eat/self serve steam table restaurants?

Obviously Chinese probably being the most common. Vegas buffets seem to be a mixture. The asian items are easy to differentiate. Then there is some italian carbs: pastas, and pizzas.

What cuisine you say the meat carving table is at Vegas buffets? Is it strictly an american style meat show? They have the roast beef or prime rib, or even some southern BBQ brisket, etc, etc. The Bachanal at Caesar has a big steamed shellfish (no lobster) section. What cuisine is that from?

I went to the South Point Buffet and they were doing a Polynesian theme one night. They had the pulled pork wrapped in banana leaf. I forget the other items for some reasons.

Are pan fried recipes more difficult to utilize in buffet/all you can eat/self serve steam table settings because of the volume? It seems like baking/stewing/steaming allows for larger batches.

There are a lot of self serve steam table places in Manhattan. They cater to the office workers during lunch time. A lot of run by Koreans. They have salad bar, and what seems like primarily asian inspired dishes. Many of the supermarkets like Whole Foods also offers self serve steam table. Basically, a customer can take as much as they want. They pay by weight. Its usually salad bar, fried chicken wings, and other random stuff. Not sure what kind of cuisine.

There are a lot of all you can eat sushi places too run by chinese. The Brazilians have their rodizio/churrascaria. But that is just grilled meats. A lot of Latin American hole in the wall is the steam table setup, but not self serve. The server divides up the portions.

I never see a French buffet, or Italian buffet, or Spanish, German, Greek, Polish, British etc etc. I once had a Scandinavian buffet at the Epcot Center in Orlando. Not sure if still there. It is one of kind though. I do not think there are any like it in the world.

I love to see a European centric buffet though. I love European food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
A lot of Indian foods have complementary flavors that mix well.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Pork butts and beef briskets are the most popular
For smoking/ slow cooking
And both are inexpensive

Prime rib is always a favorite

If you go for a cheaper roast beef such as top round
And or round tip ( knuckle)
This is ok medium rare with Anjou

Sliced sausage or kielbasa’s are good

Wings are good
Meatballs

Old 11-21-2019, 08:48 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Suitable? I think that pretty much any cuisine. I thought that BBQ is perhaps not, but I saw BBQ all you can eat buffet too....
I had Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Filipino, German, Italian, French, Russian, Polish, Mexican, Brazilian, seafood, vegetarian, BBQ, African, Mediterranean, Jewish, Turkish, Spanish, Greek buffet and probably many more.
There is a question if any food is suitable for buffet. Well the really rare and expensive foods aren't going to be on a common buffet: white truffles, Beluga caviar, wagyu beef, rare game and fish, foie gras, moose cheese and such.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Suitable? I think that pretty much any cuisine. I thought that BBQ is perhaps not, but I saw BBQ all you can eat buffet too....
I had Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Filipino, German, Italian, French, Russian, Polish, Mexican, Brazilian, seafood, vegetarian, BBQ, African, Mediterranean, Jewish, Turkish, Spanish, Greek buffet and probably many more.
There is a question if any food is suitable for buffet. Well the really rare and expensive foods aren't going to be on a common buffet: white truffles, Beluga caviar, wagyu beef, rare game and fish, foie gras, moose cheese and such.
Are you in Houston? I know Houston has a ME buffet chain. The quality not that good though. I had it once.

Where did you get German, French, Italian, Russian, Polish, and Spanish buffet? None like that in the Northeast. And a JEWISH buffet, a kosher buffet? I dont believe you. I need proof.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are you in Houston? I know Houston has a ME buffet chain. The quality not that good though. I had it once.

Where did you get German, French, Italian, Russian, Polish, and Spanish buffet? None like that in the Northeast. And a JEWISH buffet, a kosher buffet? I dont believe you. I need proof.
Polish buffet: Chicago. This is the best.

Red Apple Buffet

The buffet (smorgasbord) is a Scandinavian institution. They're all over the cold country here and in Europe.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Polish buffet: Chicago. This is the best.

Red Apple Buffet

The buffet (smorgasbord) is a Scandinavian institution. They're all over the cold country here and in Europe.
I wish NYC had this.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
If I wanted to open a buffet, I'd do Italian. You can make 3 different sauces and turn them into dozens of dishes. Sauce and pasta are relatively inexpensive to make and pizza is popular and can be cheap to make. Even high quality Italian sauces can be relatively inexpensive to make. If the sauces are made fresh, on site, you will have the competition beat because most of them are using canned sauce.

Make the salad bar with toppings that are also used on pizza,. Put out small amounts of the toppings and replenish frequently. No waste. What does not go out to the salad bar gets put on pizza. Make a high quality fresh made-on-site pizza dough

No fruit or veggies except the salad bar with lettuce, some cheese, pepperocini, canned pineapple, diced onion, and croutons made from the pizza dough that didn't get used up.

If I'm eating at a buffet, my preference would be Asian with lots of fresh veggies stir fried with generous amounts of garlic and fresh ginger and some shrimp tempura.

By the way,, I see several different places advertising all you can eat pizza bar.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
For awhile one of my local Mexican restaurants had an all you can eat buffet with really excellent food. I only ate there for an occasional treat because I don't really need to stuff myself with their excellent all-you-can-eat cheese enchiladas.

I suspect that a good Mexican buffet, if they served a good quality food, would go over well.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Spanish Tapas is perfect for a good quality buffet and there are numerous recipes and goes very nicely with a few glasses of wine.

Tapas - Wikipedia

Tapas recipes | delicious. magazine

20 Easy Spanish Recipes to Throw the Best Tapas Party Ever

10 Must-Try Spanish Tapas Recipes - The Spruce Eats

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink