Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
........Perhaps you could channel Julia Child or some sort of chef and search around for various drinks and things? It's much nicer making your own out of basic ingredients so you know what's in it. Eventually, though, after awhile, then you will probably become concerned with how the basic ingredients were grown, but that won't happen right away.

Channel? You as in play?

I've played "Felicia Unger" in the kitchen scene from "The Odd Couple".......but I think that would drive someone to drink.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's another issue on the back of my mind. Further, not only am I not a pill popper, but I lead an essentially drug free, pharmacy wise, so going to a doctor and asking for something to make me feel better (or letting him give me something), is not what I do.

Anyone know of a source of not so sugary tonic water? I have a bitter desire in my palate.
There are unsweetened sparkling waters out there. The best ones are sold at Whole Foods. But I’ve found a few at my local WINCO. Look for them. They are out there.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:

So why do we keep accepting what they are feeding us?

Lots of people don't accept it, by not drinking it.

We buy carbonated water with no sugar or sweeteners and a touch of fruit flavoring. I drink tea (and booze!). Occasionally I will by a drink with tumeric and greens or something like that if I think I'm getting sick, or my eating habits aren't up to par.

I literally do not remember the last time I had a soda.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I had a bottle of Hubert's Blood Orange Lemonade this week and found it delicious - also a tad bit bitter. It's reasonably healthy for an occasional beverage. Bet you could even mix it with tonic water.

A hot bath, candles and mellow music is also a great decompressor. Old standby.

C'mon nmnita, you've read enough of my food posts to know I would never insist that someone design their lives around totally healthy stuff! I'm a big believer in moderation in all things. But if doctor says no alcohol before procedure I'd definitely take that seriously.

And we all know what too much alcohol can do.

Were you "pulling my leg," Woman?

Old 12-05-2019, 06:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
People tell me to drink water and I just haven't been able to drink it all day long like we all should be.

As for aspartame I do want drink makers to switch to stevia as a sweetner. I did find out that there is a"safe" amount of aspartame that is approximately 6 cans of diet pop (soda) per day or 2000 mgs.

I drink a lot of caf-free diet coke. I have to drink diet beverages because I am diabetic and I need to drink a lot of fluids due to my diabetes. I use artificial sweetners (Splenda).Fruit jc is so extremely high in sugar that I wouldn't want to give it to my children. I only drink it when I have to bring my sugar up fast (low sugar causes comas).

I have a SodaStream water carbonator and use chilled tap water to make fizzy drinks with cut lemons and limes. I also buy sugarless flavoring for the sparkling water (diet Canada Dry Gingerale, diet Coke, diet root beer and some diet berry etc) but find that by adding them it causes the fizz to go flat.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
TamaraSavannah, you are onto something!
The sale of non-alcoholic beer and wine, even gin- are growing 20% -80% per year in Europe.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/20...ing-in-europe/

Here you can buy “Heineken 00” by Heineken. 69 cal
A lot of liquor stores and restaurants are now carrying it in bottles and cans in the US

Another non-alcohol beers are Kalliber by Guinness and Drive by Bitburger.
Probably, there are more out there.

In general NA wines tastes horrible according to those who tried.
Amazon sells Ariel- they say red tastes better then white wine, but mixed reviews..
Something to try is buonafide wine- 00 alcohol- could be better? From Italy.

https://www.buonafidefoods.com/shop-...ree-wines.html

Even 0.5% alcohol O’Doules beer won’t do you harm as our bodies are quite efficient in detoxifying alcohol and if you eat a heavy carbohydrates diet- your body can make about 3 grams of alcohol per day just from carbs.

Basically, if someone is quitting alcohol- those NA wine and beer at the minimum will help you to keep “the ritual” going; it could be easier psychologically...
Still you get hydration at least, some good polyphenols

Another advice: locate truly good real tea (loose leaves only- all tea bags are just floor sweepings).
Learn or develop your own hot tea ritual.
Could be very relaxing and enjoyable in lieu of alcohol
All the best to you Tamara

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-05-2019 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times
OP asked: Anyone know of a source of not so sugary tonic water? I have a bitter desire in my palate.

Well there are "bitters" in many different flavors. They are nothing more than what Europeans have been drinking for years as digestifs or many other names in different countries. Different herbs and fruits skins soaked in grain alcohol to release the flavor and other healthy things that is in them. Diluted with soda water there isn't much alcohol content.

I have a digestive disease and my gut rules what I eat and drink. For years I couldn't drink any caffeine including herbal caffeine-free teas but digestive tonics were fine. Thank goodness I can now have caffeine and herb teas but I still drink seltzer water (not soda water, it has salt) flavored with digestifs on the bitter, not sweet side.

Tonic water would be a negative from my gut, too strong.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 AM

530 posts, read 175,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22;56796158

I have a digestive disease and my gut rules what I eat and drink. For years I couldn't drink any caffeine including herbal caffeine-free teas but digestive tonics were fine. [B
Thank goodness I can now have caffeine and herb teas [/b]but I still drink seltzer water (not soda water, it has salt) flavored with digestifs on the bitter, not sweet side.
What did you do to improve your digestion?

Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
I've given up alcohol for a while for some future procedures so yesterday, I was buying various "fruit" mixtures to go with my tonic water. Looking carefully at the labeling, I finally found some stuff that didn't have high fruitcose corn syrup......even though my tonic water does but as that it is tonic water, it comes with its own limiter.

What a world! If you don't drink and you don't want to do the stuff that we now know is a slow poison (soft drinks), what choice do you have left for that drink at the end of the day to take the edge off? Water, tea, coffee, milk, juice. It is a juice mix with the kick of tonic water I use to get somewhere near there.

So why do we keep accepting what they are feeding us?

By my own experience and observations, I think that a sweetening product that is used in canned fruit and perhaps other things, called partially dehydrated or concentrated pear nectar, has had its carbohydrates altered and has the same unhealthy properties as high-fructose corn syrup. That's just based on the effect it had on me, after eating quite a few cans of fruit cocktail that were sweetened with it. These cans were labeled as "low-sugar", but in fact, the pear nectar made them very high in simple carbohydrates. After eating cans of it several days in a row, I felt queasy and sickened. The sugar in high-fructose corn syrup, is essentially a sweetener on steroids.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had a bottle of Hubert's Blood Orange Lemonade this week and found it delicious - also a tad bit bitter. It's reasonably healthy for an occasional beverage. Bet you could even mix it with tonic water.

A hot bath, candles and mellow music is also a great decompressor. Old standby.

C'mon nmnita, you've read enough of my food posts to know I would never insist that someone design their lives around totally healthy stuff! I'm a big believer in moderation in all things. But if doctor says no alcohol before procedure I'd definitely take that seriously.

And we all know what too much alcohol can do.

Were you "pulling my leg," Woman?
Well, a few things.

Rather given up on the hot baths years ago, primarily because of cats and candles didn't seem like a good idea. Another thing is, though, that my concept of a hot bath involved some kind of alcohol, whether it be a Mai Tai for soothing battle soreness or a glass of wine to be romantic or some kind of liquor for achieving a memory probe into the deep past.

Though, I will admit that running water is a great decompressor, one that I often forget about until I am in my shower. My shower is a grotto design, enough said. Equally, maybe some day I will get a feed tank for outside summer relaxing.

The doctor has not quite said no alcohol but rather, to lower my BP, cut back on the drinking. There is, however, something else. In my thread of "Scotch and well water", I talk about the gurgles, a shivering sensation that I have been experiencing out here at the ranch, drinking well water (and I quaff a lot of chilled well water). Someone suggested that maybe my body has stopped metabolizing alcohol.

I stopped drinking scotch many months ago.....but now I am starting to feel it on other alcohols, so I am cutting back more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh that sounds like a wonderful idea:NO. Can you imagine sitting around in the evening, visiting with your guests or your family and while they are drinking their drink of choice you are sitting around smoking pot or crewing on a magic cookie. I am not knocking pot particularly but I am not sure that is what OP is looking at to replace her desire to enjoy a late afternoon or early evening drink.
Last night as I was heading out, I felt like "I could really go for a shot of Canadian Whiskey tonight.". The tension was up, my right leg was aching at various places.
Instead, I remembered the scene from "28 Days" where Sandra Bullock, having hurt her leg while in Rehab is told by the "Doc", "Unfortunately, I can't give you anything for the pain, so you will just to bear through it.".
So for the leg, I start using an old technique, redefine pain into pleasure (from being a running exerholic decades ago) and when I got home, had my juicer and tonic water.
No alcohol except for the cup of Chardonnay I put into my fish topping for my spaghetti. It was brought to a boil but now, since alcohol consumption is more of a concern, I need to look up how long alcohol has to cook to cook all the alcohol out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
People tell me to drink water and I just haven't been able to drink it all day long like we all should be.
As I said, I quaff a lot of chilled well water (usually 1.5 but maybe 2.25 gallons a day) and then, chilled water fountain water (about 1/4th of what I do with well water). Well water wise, it's delicious. As to why, it is many things.....and thirst really isn't part of it. It's something to reach for. It's a programmed defence against kidney stones. My heavy use of spices makes it desirable.

Quote:
As for aspartame I do want drink makers to switch to stevia as a sweetner. I did find out that there is a"safe" amount of aspartame that is approximately 6 cans of diet pop (soda) per day or 2000 mgs.
About the only time I really drink soda is either when I am out on a dive site (it is there, it is something to grab when reached for, and I guess there is a glitch in the programming not to have my water bottle out there instead) or dining out in which case, if I don't go for unsweeten tea, then it is a Sprite. As far as the Sprite goes, I guess that is another programing glitch.

The curious thing is how I use sugar. White sugar is almost always used only in cooking such as cookies and pan cakes. Brown sugar has a second use in that it is in my oat meal which I tend to have daily. I take my coffee and hot/cold tea straight. The only time I add sugar to my coffee is when I am driving across country and I can get Sugar in the Raw.

Honey and molasses are something else. I do use honey in tea such as when I need it for my throat and honey on biscuits. Molasses I have but I haven't gotten into using it; it's something of a frontier experiment.
And then, there is pancake syrup which I don't use, but that is a learned trait. I just have my pan cakes with butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
TamaraSavannah, you are onto something!
The sale of non-alcoholic beer and wine, even gin- are growing 20% -80% per year in Europe.
Even 0.5% alcohol O’Doules beer won’t do you harm as our bodies are quite efficient in detoxifying alcohol and if you eat a heavy carbohydrates diet- your body can make about 3 grams of alcohol per day just from carbs.

Basically, if someone is quitting alcohol- those NA wine and beer at the minimum will help you to keep “the ritual” going; it could be easier psychologically...
Still you get hydration at least, some good polyphenols

Another advice: locate truly good real tea (loose leaves only- all tea bags are just floor sweepings).
Learn or develop your own hot tea ritual.
Could be very relaxing and enjoyable in lieu of alcohol
All the best to you Tamara
Thank you, especially about developing a ritual, but I may be out of that range as what our bodies can do as I mentioned with the "gurgles".
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
OP asked: Anyone know of a source of not so sugary tonic water? I have a bitter desire in my palate.

Well there are "bitters" in many different flavors. They are nothing more than what Europeans have been drinking for years as digestifs or many other names in different countries. Different herbs and fruits skins soaked in grain alcohol to release the flavor and other healthy things that is in them. Diluted with soda water there isn't much alcohol content.

I have a digestive disease and my gut rules what I eat and drink. For years I couldn't drink any caffeine including herbal caffeine-free teas but digestive tonics were fine. Thank goodness I can now have caffeine and herb teas but I still drink seltzer water (not soda water, it has salt) flavored with digestifs on the bitter, not sweet side.

Tonic water would be a negative from my gut, too strong.
My desire for tonic water may have turned into a program over the years. When everyone else was drinking and I could not (driving/weapons), I would turn to tonic water. It had the necessary kick and I liked it........and at some places, the bar gave it to me free.

Not all places, though. I was at the end of a conference ball and they were serving free red and white wine.......but not tonic water. I had to buy my own.

You mentioned bitters. I have heard of those in bar making but never used them. What are they, could they work as a substitute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink