Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

I am not a cooking expert, but I do occasionally fry things in cooking oil. When I go to the store I see all these different types of cooking oils. Is one superior over the others? I haven't really noticed, but is there any real difference between canola, vegetable, and corn oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
By vegetable oil, do you mean soybean oil? Because generally speaking, canola and corn oil is a vegetable oil. It can be very confusing! Technically speaking, soybeans are not really a vegetable, but a legume, in the peanut family. But all cooking oils are commonly referred to as vegetable oils, so when you see "vegetable oil" in a recipe, you can choose the healthiest oil, depending on it's smoke point. Extra virgin olive oil is probably the healthiest oil, but it doesn't do well with high heat, so it isn't good for frying.

As I sat here thinking of how best to explain the pros and cons of various oils, I decided it would be easiest to post a link. One thing about canola oil though, it is said to be healthy, but it has been genetically modified. There are studies that suggest all sorts of health issues are possible from consuming genetically modified foods. However, you will already be eating genetically modified foods on a daily basis, since most corn/soy/wheat in the U.S. has been genetically modified. I just thought I would mention it since it isn't widely known. We cook with safflower and extra virgin olive oils.

Best cooking oil, Healthy Cooking Oils

Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Canola oil has slightly less saturated fat than vegetable or corn oil.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Thanks for the reply. I guess it doesn't make too much difference. As to whether the vegetable oil is soybean oil, I am only going by what the label says, so I don't know.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I never use vegetable or canola oil b/c not only has the canola been genetically modified, but there are increasing number of studies showing the oils our grandmothers used (wherever they were in the world) have health benefits our "low fat, new and improved" oils don't.

Once (recently) touted as being horrible for us, pure coconut oil, walnut oil, palm oil (yes, palm oil) are all very good for you. Same goes for olive oil, ghee, and butter (steer clear of all the butter replacements which are chemical-laden). Basically, think about what Laura Ingalls ate (or a girl from her time in any other country, which will change the foods somewhat but not the basic tenants that basic old-fashioned food is good for us!).

Oh, and you might want to look into soybean oil. Soy is being put into many many of our foods today and although in very small, unprocessed quantities it is good for you (as it is used in Asian countries for instance), it is NOT good for you in larger quantities or when processed. It is linked to hypo-thyroidism amongst other ailments.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I think I remember having the same question. Last time we looked at the LABEL of the "vegetable" oil, it did indeed say it was made from soybeans. There's little price variation, from what I've seen, between the three.

Peanut oil, safflower, sunflower....all three of those are pricier. And I'm not even going to talk about the prices for coconut oil at Green Earth (a health food store). I found one thing out working there--I can't AFFORD to eat healthy.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
when frying try to use a light colored oil--like corn
when making a salad, try to use a dark colored oil like olive. t gives a rish flavor to the food when eating it raw.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I really dont know the difference when used in cooking so I use whatever we have at the time.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
-I can't AFFORD to eat healthy.
Medical bills are a lot more expensive than coconut oil!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM

The other thing I think about when people say they can't afford organic or coconut oil or whatever (and let me be clear I am not speaking directly to you, TKramer. Of course I don't know your financial situation and I'm not saying you fall into the category I'm about to discuss. I'm talking in generalizations).

Often people say they can't afford organic or expensive alternatives, yet they have tons of breakfast cereal in their cupboard, potato chips, cookies, processed food in the freezer, etc. That all costs so much more than the healthy foods! Yes, healthy eating can take more time, but you can crock-pot an organic chicken with some veggies and that doesn't take long at all (in prep tine--obviously it has to cook for hours).

If people stopped buying all the junk, processed food which isn't even good for them, and went back to actually starting with basic unprocessed ingredients and cooked from scratch they would find it's not only healthier but also NOT more expensive than eating all the processed junk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink