Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 03:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Can of Hormel Corned beef, chopped celery and onions, cooked in a frying pan till its good and hot. On the side a can of sliced beets with sugar and vinegar, cooked covered in the microwave and homemade sourdough bread with margarine spread. Simple,
good. Healthy? I don’t know or care.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:54 PM

1,291 posts, read 177,025 times
North African Lentil Soup. Interesting spices in this one: cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon. I played with the recipe a bit and added some cubed butternut squash and sweet potatoes to it, as well as a bag of kale, chard & spinach mix. Good and hearty. It's a vegetarian recipe but I dug out 3 hot Italian sausages out of the freezer and browned those in the Dutch Oven first, then sliced them up in the soup. I've also made this soup with shredded rotisserie chicken in it. The basic recipe is from America's Test Kitchen, one of my favorite sources for recipes.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:02 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
North African Lentil Soup. Interesting spices in this one: cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon. I played with the recipe a bit and added some cubed butternut squash and sweet potatoes to it, as well as a bag of kale, chard & spinach mix. Good and hearty. It's a vegetarian recipe but I dug out 3 hot Italian sausages out of the freezer and browned those in the Dutch Oven first, then sliced them up in the soup. I've also made this soup with shredded rotisserie chicken in it. The basic recipe is from America's Test Kitchen, one of my favorite sources for recipes.
Yum! Can you share a link to the recipe?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 PM

552 posts, read 223,257 times
I made a simple soup.

5 russet potatoes, diced ( I leave mine unpeeled)

Place in large stock pot and just enough water to
cover. Boil and simmer gently, until potatoes are
softened. Mash the potatoes down in the hot
water until smooth.

Add plenty of your favorite bullion to the water
to give a good flavor. I prefer Better Than
Bullion Chicken flavor.

Add a smaller package of your favorite frozen
veggies. I like peas and carrots. Allow them
to thaw in the chicken bullion potato soup base
over a slightly heated burner so as to not burn
your soup while heating thru, and stir often.

Chop into small pieces a package of inexpensive
hickory bacon and cook the bacon in another pot
or pan until done to your liking. Remove bacon
with a slotted spoon and set aside to mince into
smaller pieces.

Dice a large, sweet onion into small pieces. Cook
onion in bacon grease until soft and translucent.
Add bacon and cooked, drained onion to your soup.

Finish by adding a regular sized can of evaporated
milk and finish heating through. Garnish soup with
fresh cracked pepper and add your favorite salad
croutons. I enjoy Cesar flavored croutons.

This soup is very basic and you can add a multitude
of delicious favorites you enjoy.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 177,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yum! Can you share a link to the recipe?
It seems like you have to be a subscriber, which I am, so I don't think it would work for you or anyone else. So here's my version with the sausage, using the America's Test Kitchen recipe as an inspiration/base. If you want to make it without sausage or any meat, skip that step:

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 or 4 Italian sausages
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 celery rib, chopped fine
Salt and pepper
¾ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch cayenne
3 garlic cloves, minced or chopped fine
2 cups diced Butternut Squash and/or Sweet Potato
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups red or brown lentils

Melt olive oil in large saucepan or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Brown sausages in oil, then remove and keep warm. Add onion, celery & carrot and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 10 minutes. Lower heat to medium-low if its browning too quickly. Add coriander, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir for a minute. Add diced squash and/or sweet potato, cook for a minute or two. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in broth, water, and lentils and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, partially cover, and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour.

If you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, shred it up and add it to the soup if you don't use sausage.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:10 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Tonight at the Case abode: Chicken egg rolls. Four of them. Plenty of soy sauce.

And then, for dessert, I'm finishing up the last of the Marie Callender's peanut butter cream pie, and, well, it's too late; you can't have any!

Old 04-07-2020, 05:13 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Spinach Cheese Ravioli with broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, oil, parmesan cheese & crushed red pepper❗️

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-23-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 05:24 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Rickcin-are you a chef? Your pictures are always amazing looking.

I don't know what we are having. Debating doing pickup from somewhere

Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
Onion and tomato focaccia with cannellinI bean pesto with prosciutto cotto, courtesy of Lidia Bastianich.
Attached Thumbnails
What's For Dinner? ~ 2020 Edition ~-2020-04-07-19.21.56.jpg  

Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 PM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Navy beans slowly cooked with a rather not so skinny smoked ham bone, onions, jalapeños, celery and majoran. Mini corn bread muffins with cheddar and whole corn kernels.

Happy hour on the patio was Merlot and sliced pepper/onion/shrimp fajita. I love left overs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink