U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM

239 posts, read 85,216 times

Advertisements

I retired a lot of my baking and kitchen utensils when we built a new house and moved in retirement. Initially I was just equipping the house for the essentials for weekend/vacation living until retirement came, but as I packed up the former house, I donated a lot and embraced getting a lot of new bakeware, cookware and kitchen utencils.

My biggest kitchen change was that I decided my beloved Kitchen Aid Mixer was just too darn heavy at 30+ pounds. I didn't want it out on the counter 24/7 and kept it in it's own cabinet, but I feared dropping it and damaging my flooring or crushing my foot (as Silibran feared with her iron grill). So I replaced my Cobalt Blue Kitchen Aid (with the lift up bowl) with a Periwinkle Cuisinart mixer that has some weight, but not nearly so much - and gave my sister the Kitchen Aid. In the end, both of us were happy - she got a free Kitchen Aid and I love the Cuisinart.

While equipping the new kitchen, I indulged myself with the purchase of a lot of organizers - figuring I wanted to do it right this time. Oh, how much I enjoy nice neat cabinets!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM

1,725 posts, read 1,155,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How do so many of you get into the restaurant supply stores?
I think mine is open to the public. Never saw any signs that it isn't. They seem happy to get the $$$.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,549,329 times
im dying to get my hands on some corning ware to bake in the oven with .I m going to scour thrift stores for them . I know how to get stains out of them now . here in a few weeks I will be buying some new pots and pans and then I should be done .

Old 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,589,462 times
I really need to do this. I have a LOT of cooking supplies and certainly do not need them all. We have two kitchens and they are both full. I am no a pack rat either. I would gladly give away every little thing I don't use, but my kids asked me to please save it all for when they move out. I have done this and the reality is we live less than 10 minutes from our state flagship university, which is where they both ended up. They happily live at home to save money and alas all the unused kitchen stuff remains. Our daughter may need some when she goes to grad school, so I patiently wait. Our son won't need any of it. His girlfriend has a pretty well stocked kitchen and their wedding will finish off what's left. They both love to cook. which makes my heart happy.

I received carbon steel pans for Christmas and some Greenpans and a Staub dutch oven. I also just replaced spatulas, measuring spoons and measuring cups. These along with Le Crueset are my current favorites. I have 3 sets of Belgique cookware from Macy's and I think I will be paring those down. I feel attached to every piece though, and if I am honest it will be difficult to part with any of it. I cook a lot, and entertain a lot and do quantity cooking often. I probably have 10+ stock pots and couldn't imagine not having them all. Of course, there will be more than enough room when I get rid of everything I am not using in kitchen #2

And yes to all the votes for parchment paper! It is an essential cooking tool. I have never seen a restaurant supply store that wasn't open to the public.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:25 PM

58,834 posts, read 42,435,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I think mine is open to the public. Never saw any signs that it isn't. They seem happy to get the $$$.

I've been to several in different states and all have been open to the public as well.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:31 PM

22,196 posts, read 23,791,891 times
We recently completed a whole kitchen renovation. When I emptied out cabinets and drawers after accumulating 20+ years of "stuff" I swore to be particular about what went back in. I got rid of a bunch of stuff I rarely used including electric skillet, espresso maker, full sized food processor, wine carafes, and a myriad of other things. My new kitchen has not only more storage but more useful storage - more drawers, taller cabinets, cookie sheet storage, pullout trash and recycling and swing out shelves in my blind corner cabinet. Love it all - but I also am still focusing on less stuff so other than the basics, some stuff I wasnt sure about getting rid of I kept in our extra room and only bring down if/when I need it. I figure if I don't get it within 3 months, I probably don't need it. A glimpse of what I haven't brought down: salad spinner, various plasticware, misc water bottles, beer glasses, parfait glasses, selection of teacups, sugar and creamer sets, fondue pot, mini muffin and tart pans and a waffle iron.

I second the comment that organizers help. I went to Target and got an assortment of plastic bins that fit in my drawers to hold various implements. Did the same for cabinets that hold spices, oils, vinegars etc. It's cleaner, looks better and is easier to find stuff since they are in groups. I can now take down the shallow container that has all of my vinegars or peppers rather than reach up and push stuff around until to find what I need. Pantry has the collapsible fabric cubes to hold paper towels, trash bags, etc.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-24-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM

24,629 posts, read 15,875,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I retired a lot of my baking and kitchen utensils when we built a new house and moved in retirement. Initially I was just equipping the house for the essentials for weekend/vacation living until retirement came, but as I packed up the former house, I donated a lot and embraced getting a lot of new bakeware, cookware and kitchen utencils.

My biggest kitchen change was that I decided my beloved Kitchen Aid Mixer was just too darn heavy at 30+ pounds. I didn't want it out on the counter 24/7 and kept it in it's own cabinet, but I feared dropping it and damaging my flooring or crushing my foot (as Silibran feared with her iron grill). So I replaced my Cobalt Blue Kitchen Aid (with the lift up bowl) with a Periwinkle Cuisinart mixer that has some weight, but not nearly so much - and gave my sister the Kitchen Aid. In the end, both of us were happy - she got a free Kitchen Aid and I love the Cuisinart.

While equipping the new kitchen, I indulged myself with the purchase of a lot of organizers - figuring I wanted to do it right this time. Oh, how much I enjoy nice neat cabinets!!
You make reorganizing fun.

Every time I move my KA mixer from the counter to my island, I worry a bit a out dropping the thing. So far, so good.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM

24,629 posts, read 15,875,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
The trick is finding them. But, when I briefly lived in downtown Portland, I just walked into a nearby restaurant supply store and bought what I needed.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM

1,799 posts, read 599,606 times
I got rid of many one use items such as the bread maker, grilling machine counter top convection oven, etc. I hadn’t used my mixer in 20 years. I was sick of my good dishes so got rid of them and bought a new set. Many of my pans are 35 years old but I did replace baking sheets.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM

239 posts, read 85,216 times
I meant to agree with the use of parchment paper. I just tried it this year and it made cookie baking so much easier and nicer.

When shopping for organizers, I came across a company I'd never heard of in the past - "madesmart". I bought and really liked their drawer organizers and in the process, discovered they're a Women-owned organization. No wonder these organizers were so well made and designed. None of my organizers were expensive and not all worked, so there were some returns. Like Maciesmom, I used plastic bins to put some of my baking ingredients that come in bags and I put them in the very top and very high shelf. How I don't risk having the bags slither off and rain down upon me if I remove one. The bags of brown and confectioner's sugar, the chocolate chips, bags of caramels, etc. - none of which get daily use but are a pantry item go in them. The challenge is that sometimes the organizers wind up making the items take up more space - but the benefit of it all staying organized and neat is usually worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink