U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM

24,709 posts, read 15,916,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I use Reynold's Non-Stick foil and it works great: https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/pro...on-stick-foil/
This is new to me. I’ll look for it, but will read the label and check price before deciding whether to purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 12:27 PM

5,099 posts, read 8,111,521 times
I just got rid of the cute, chrome, retro looking but useless Hamilton Beach milkshake maker that has been sitting on my counter "looking cute" for five years but has been used exactly once. I decided if I want a milkshake, I can just use my personal blender, which I really DO use, almost daily, for smoothies.

I threw out several, well-used loaf pans that were starting to have issues with the non-stick finish coming off. I rarely purchase anything with a non-stick finish anymore, unless it's extremely good quality.

I did get out a good quality Calphalon non-stick wok in like-new condition that I scored at a thrift store not long ago, and have just started using it. Great pan. I ordered some wooden wok utensils for it that are coming soon.

I also tackled the cabinet that I have been calling "plastic bowl hell", tossing any tomato stained plastic bowls, cheapo bowls, or those missing lids (what happens to the lids anyway?) . I am trying to replace those with better quality plastic bowls and those glass storage bowls with lids.

I got rid of my bread machine long ago. It was a gift - never saw the light of day. Also got rid of an electric knife I never, ever used. It was given to me by my mother, who rarely used it herself, and I bet it was at least 40 years old, judging from the 1970's looking packaging and avocado toned handle. She said it would be good for cutting "prime rib".
I don't live a "prime rib" kind of life!

Old 01-25-2020, 02:38 PM
Status: "DUMP TRUMP and his lackey, Barr" (set 28 days ago)

8,869 posts, read 11,649,968 times
Toss? What's that????

Old 01-25-2020, 03:57 PM

1,858 posts, read 704,233 times
The old cobalt blue Kitchen Aid mixer had started to skip over the first gear, which was a mess when adding flour. After figuring the cost to ship it each way to get repaired, a new silver Kitchen Aid was the obvious choice. They recently had some great deals on new Kitchen Aid mixers, mine was half price. Those sales may still be going on.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 1,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I need new 8×8 baking pan and 1/4 sheet pan. The restaurant supply store I use keeps irregular hours so it's hard to catch them when they're open.

What about using parchment paper with your new baking pans? Keeps them cleaner so you don't have as much trouble with special care.

Also, silicon baking mats work well too.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:06 PM

32,952 posts, read 61,520,271 times
I don't toss, I add. A lot of my kitchen stuff is old, handed down from grandmothers and aunts, and will outperform anything I could buy new.

Although I did throw out two pans I use in the countertop oven that had rusted/peeled beyond help. I bought a couple of unglazed stoneware pans sized for the countertop oven.

Last spring, I bought a 120-piece set of Oneida Community flatware - the Twin Star pattern that was sold through the Betty Crocker catalog around 1960. I finally found a flatware organizer that would hold it all and that also fit in my tiny kitchen drawers. Finally retired the Rubbermaid organizer I bought in 1981, and gave my old flatware to my sister, who is saving it for when her kids finally leave the house.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:52 PM

11,812 posts, read 21,063,991 times
I REALLY try not to toss unless it's something that is junk/worthless, etc. - if it's something that is simply being gotten rid of because it's not being used I do everything I can to pass it on - obviously, if it's something not worth it (super scratched up pan, whatever, toss it)

Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 PM

24,709 posts, read 15,916,783 times
Found more stuff to donate today. Stemmed water glasses, grill basket for veggies, spiralizer that was scary, and some old bamboo cutting boards that were too small to be useful.

Out! Out!

Old 01-26-2020, 03:59 AM

7,187 posts, read 3,408,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I REALLY try not to toss unless it's something that is junk/worthless, etc. - if it's something that is simply being gotten rid of because it's not being used I do everything I can to pass it on - obviously, if it's something not worth it (super scratched up pan, whatever, toss it)
we are two peas in a pod then. !

I tend to latch on to quality items and keep them despite the attitude if its over a year old it must be defective.

Currently in my household My endearing son has this warped attitude that if its a year old that its not the NEW and Improved Version! I told him....Neither is my paycheck new or improved! So leave the items be!

I have beautiful mixing bowls handed down from the 1970's! Truly they have every loving mark my grandma placed on them. They aren't a health hazard....properly cleaned each time.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:27 AM

74,075 posts, read 86,472,043 times
Its hard to just toss: I was making room for an egg maker I had gotten for Christmas from my granddaughter. My cupboard was full and we are facing the fact, in the next few years we will be down sizing so we have to be realistic. I took several serving plates and bowls out of the cupboard and wondered why I was saving them. I hadn't used any in a few years.I just use my old stand byes. What did I do? WEll I did make room for the new toy, put most of the unused serving pieces back in the cupboard and actually did toss to give away to charity a couple of pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink