Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Peking Wok

525 Constitution Ave Perkasie, PA 18944

and

New China Wok

Address301 W Reliance Rd
Telford PA 18969 Phone(215) 723-7988
Bout time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I live in SE PA and have eaten at a whole lot of Chinese Food Establishments.....
for the very first time in years, and I do mean a whole lot of years, I found a Chinese Restaurant who actually makes the broth for they're won ton soup flavorful....
Geeze Louise, why can't other Chinese do this, normally there is no flavor to the broth what-so-ever and it tastes like dishwater....
interesting, I really never thought much about it: when I think Chinese food I don't think of a lot of spices. I think, sodium (soy sause) some garlic, not a lot and ginger. When I think other Asian like Thai, then I think spices..I am not saying this as a negative, cause I love all Asian foods, but I just think their flavors come more from the veggies they use..Oh sure, they do use some fish sause, etc, but that is more Thai, and they use the hot peppers as well, plus vinegar, but none of this would be in the broth..Maybe I should re-frase this by saying, different spices, not only a few spices.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, a lot of this probably has to do with most Chinese food restaurants in the US being a very radical version of actual Chinese food fitted for a fast bucks, fast food ethos. Probably still a lot better for you than a lot of other fast foods out there though.

If you're in southeast pennsylvania, then I will tell you that there are some pretty great places in Philadelphia which do that sort of thing. Actually, what I'd recommend most is eating pho (vietnamese soup noodles with an incredible aromatic broth) in parts of south philly or chinatown or other parts. Philadelphia has surprisingly amazing pho.
I can't really agree with you on this one: we have been to Hong Kong twice and the Chinese food there is very similar to what we have here, plus, I go back many years, way before the words "fast food" had been invented and ate many meals as a child in China Town: Los Angeles, they just use different spices than we do.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Well, the won ton soups that I have had close to my home town isn't about spices at all, the broth is so bland, honestly, tasteless....like water....no flavor to the broth at all, but I have found the two new places where the soup is good.

China Town in Philly and New York, whole different ball game, delicious!

When I was a kid, we used to drive down to Philly to a place called the Kona Kai...the food there was absolutely amazing.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
I had some "miso soup" the other night from the "Japanese restaurant" with the Korean owners and the guy at the tables making "Onion volcanoes" and it tasted like ...chicken broth with little chips of seaweed and tofu in it. It was pretty bad. Kikkoman instant miso soup tastes about a millions times better than that stuff.

Plus, it was this color:
http://www.bonappetit.com/images/tip...eefbroth_h.jpg

This... is miso soup:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._miso_soup.jpg

so is this;:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-a5WrZ72ulc.../misoshiru.jpg

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Gosh, I guess we are spoiled in the Bay Area. There are some amazing chinese restaurants in my neck of the woods. In fact Won Ton (or Wor Won Ton which takes it up a notch) is very tasty here and the best I've ever had is from a place called Tao Tao. Won Ton (and also egg drop) are my favorite chinese soups so I would be very disappointed if the broth wasn't flavorful.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,236,772 times
I don't see why the op has continued to order something time after time if experience has taught him its not gonna taste good.

I also don't see why this thread is to all Chinese restaurants everywhere, when the op only seems to have experience of those in one small area...

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoito View Post
Just had a sandwich with nutella... who doesn't love Nutella?? :P
So obsessed with it..
I don't love Nutella. I don't even like Nutella.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
I don't see why the op has continued to order something time after time if experience has taught him its not gonna taste good.

I also don't see why this thread is to all Chinese restaurants everywhere, when the op only seems to have experience of those in one small area...

Um, Hello, first of all I am a she
Second, ever since a child, I've eaten Chinese Food all over the country...like my post said, in Philly, NYC, all over the country.
I don't continually go back to the same place....if I have a good experience with the soup, I move on, b/c Chinese restuarants, are a dime a dozen.
Many Chineses Resturants I have eaten in, DO WATER down the broth for the won ton soup, and I'm not the first person to say so....it is absolutely horrible....however, again, I'll say, I am finding two new ones who make exceptionally good broth....
Where did I say I go back to the same place time after time?????????
and I am alerting Chinese resturants everywhere, as they know who they are....
Yanno, it wouldn't hurt to ask customers they're opinions on how their meal was, like the last place I ate in...and I told them about the broth in other places. They said,

"We take our time when preparing food, we talk to customers, to make sure they are satisfied, and if we can improve the quality of our food, we want to know". Wish more restaurants would cop that attitude.....

Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Um, Hello, first of all I am a she
Second, ever since a child, I've eaten Chinese Food all over the country...like my post said, in Philly, NYC, all over the country.
I don't continually go back to the same place....if I have a good experience with the soup, I move on, b/c Chinese restuarants, are a dime a dozen.
Many Chineses Resturants I have eaten in, DO WATER down the broth for the won ton soup, and I'm not the first person to say so....it is absolutely horrible....however, again, I'll say, I am finding two new ones who make exceptionally good broth....
Where did I say I go back to the same place time after time?????????
and I am alerting Chinese resturants everywhere, as they know who they are....
Yanno, it wouldn't hurt to ask customers they're opinions on how their meal was, like the last place I ate in...and I told them about the broth in other places. They said,

"We take our time when preparing food, we talk to customers, to make sure they are satisfied, and if we can improve the quality of our food, we want to know". Wish more restaurants would cop that attitude.....

I agree, more restaurants need to adopt this philosophy. We have wonderful Italian place here, located very close to our state capital and the many other government offices. They opened about a year or so ago. This is their philosophy. They are not new to the restaurant business and know what they are doing, however I believe this is their first time in the city. Their other location is out in a small town, where people don't get in a hurry. This is the type of place where the owner comes around and checks on everyone, making sure everything is exactly perfect. He visits with his guests and makes you feel at home. Service is not slow, but nothing is prepared ahead of time. Your food is cooked when you order it and everything is made from scratch. A few months ago I was there with several friends and the owner came to our table to check on us. While visiting, one friend who works with lots of people from out of town, told him that she always refers visitors to the restaurant for lunch. He told us, "we are the worst place in town for lunch". He went on to explain how basically they weren't Olive Garden, and it was impossible to give their level of service in just a few minutes. Recently they announced that they would no longer be in open for lunch, because they could not provide the quality of food and service that was their standard quickly enough to satisfy those on a quick lunch break. I know people have to eat quickly on their lunch hour, but its really refreshing to me to actually see someone refuse to sacrifice their standards just so they can run more people through the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink