U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 AM

1,092 posts, read 651,656 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to some chick fil a today. Om nom nom.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,330,801 times
Every time I cook something good at home, I realize what a waste eating out is. I really need to cook more on my days off.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM

36,505 posts, read 46,817,380 times
Default $1.00 pork butt and chicken breasts at my favorite store this week

and even though my freezers are full I couldn't resist. The smallest pork was almost 7 lbs so I had the butcher cut it in 2 pieces-couldn't believe he did it at such a low price.

I usually make BBQ when I cook pork butt in the crock pot. Any other suggestions for something different?

Smallest size of package for chicken was also 6 lbs. Also the chicken is bone in but for that price I'll wrestle with bones a bit. I'm thinking I'll cut it into tenders. Would it be better to freeze the tenders or cook some, shred it and then cook? DH won't eat anything with a bone in it so I'll be better off deboning before cooking. I'll definitely make stock with the bones.

What would you do with this quantity of meat.

BTW it is Food Lion- not as pretty and modern as Harris Teeter here but prices so much better.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM

16,434 posts, read 21,226,373 times
LOL! I bought one of those pork butts in Food Lion just yesterday, too!

My favorite for pork but is Pork with Green Chile. Easily adaptable to a crock pot, but you'll need to get fresh anaheim chile's and roast them. Other than that, the entire meal is super easy. (I don't even bother searing the meat when I use the crock pot). Food Lion sells the Anaheims also - in fact, it's the only place I've been able to find them.

I also plan on trying Char Sui (Chinese BBQ red pork). Here's one recipe, but there are others.

As for chicken, I freeze then cook, then shred. I take these bone in breasts, get out the bone, cut the breast in half lengthwise to produce two cutlets, which I can pound down to a thinner cutlet. Freeze the cutlets, easy quick dinner using those (especially if the original breast was large, so you can get three cutlets out of each breast).

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Thanks jkgournet- I think I like freezing first then cooking too.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM

8,028 posts, read 14,009,712 times
Wow that is a great price!!!!

You might try making chicken cacciatore in the crock pot ... I had it for dinner yesterday and it was delicious. (The recipe calls for bone-in chicken so you will have it ... I actually used boneless skinless chicken breast.)

I wish my local grocery stores would have sales that good! The best I've seen is the aforementioned chicken breast for $1.99/lb. I stock up every time they do that!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM

77,216 posts, read 89,957,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
and even though my freezers are full I couldn't resist. The smallest pork was almost 7 lbs so I had the butcher cut it in 2 pieces-couldn't believe he did it at such a low price.

I usually make BBQ when I cook pork butt in the crock pot. Any other suggestions for something different?

Smallest size of package for chicken was also 6 lbs. Also the chicken is bone in but for that price I'll wrestle with bones a bit. I'm thinking I'll cut it into tenders. Would it be better to freeze the tenders or cook some, shred it and then cook? DH won't eat anything with a bone in it so I'll be better off deboning before cooking. I'll definitely make stock with the bones.

What would you do with this quantity of meat.

BTW it is Food Lion- not as pretty and modern as Harris Teeter here but prices so much better.
We got one today as well, but it was $1.29 lb. Like you, we have a lot of pork in the freezer, but I too got a pretty big one this morning. Pork shoulder and butt are one of our favorite meats.. I have one good suggestion: I cut the pork into small pieces, almost bite size. We brown the meat, remove it and add carrots, onions, maybe celery, etc. to the drippings, adding a little wine and a couple T. of tomato paste. Then I put the meat back into the roaster, add some garlic, salt and pepper, and herbs. I tie the herbs together and cover the meat with enough stock to cover the meat. Then we place it in the oven at about 300 degrees or a little lower for 2 to 3 hours. OMG, it is awesome. You can add potatoes as well or serve with rice, noodles or whatever..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM

6,740 posts, read 7,258,393 times
Thanks for the tip; we'd never been in Food Lion, and went to see if ours had the price on pork. They did! So we picked up one. It goes into the crockpot tomorrow. Unless I decide to make sausage from part of it, that is.

We've been eating so much chicken, we're about to grow feathers, so I didn't look at the chicken deal today. We'd picked up leg quarters for $.89/lb the other day, anyway, and don't have freezer space for anything.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Food Lion may not be the prettiest or in place to shop but when I shop by their sales flyer I save a lot of money. Every now and then I'll go to the hippy dippy in place for something special but all I have to do is look at the prices on my regular purchases and I know I'm back to Food Lion the next week.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 AM

77,216 posts, read 89,957,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Food Lion may not be the prettiest or in place to shop but when I shop by their sales flyer I save a lot of money. Every now and then I'll go to the hippy dippy in place for something special but all I have to do is look at the prices on my regular purchases and I know I'm back to Food Lion the next week.
We had Food Lyons in the Dallas area and I would, from time to time shop there. No, the stores aren't like the major super markets like Publix's and they don't have the best selection, but pricewise, they are worth considering. That is how I look at Aldi's. I don't drive out of my way to shop there and I don't do the majority of my shopping there, but I do make it a point, if I am in the area to stop and I check their flyer every week for specials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or