U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 PM

19,211 posts, read 25,332,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Grown up mac and cheese usually as a variety of cheeses, some on the stronger side and yes, either ham or bacon. If I had the bucks, Lobster or crab would have added a special flavor, but for now, we will live with the bacon and blue cheese.
sounds good!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 AM

10,868 posts, read 15,050,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Yum - and I'm curious also what makes it grown up. Maybe it's fancier cheeses? I made one by Ina Garten - I think it's actually called grown up mac and cheese and it was delicious, and used fancier cheeses than what kids would probably prefer.

"Grown up" is a poor choice of words. "Layered flavors" is a better description.

Making a mac and cheese with only one kind of cheese is like playing a single note. Adding different cheeses creates a chord. If all the cheeses are the same basic kind, say "cheddar, colby and jack" then that chord is also one dimensional. The "C-Major" of mac and cheese.

Change it up with cheddar, gruyere and blue cheese, and you have the sourness of the blue balancing out the nuttiness of the gruyere with the solid foundation of the cheddar. Now we're getting somewhere. "B-Minor, The opening chord of Hotel California."

Add to this one or two other components: lobster and peas; bacon and broccoli. If the cheese is good enough, additions aren't necessary. Mac and cheese should be all about the cheese. But if I have some leftover truffles or lobster, what's the harm in adding it? None at all.

I rarely make mac and cheese anymore. I love it. But it's bad for my waistline. So when I do, I make it right. My strategy is to make a fromage fort. And then fold that into a bechemel. Mix in the par-cooked mac, and then season while still lukewarm. I prefer it baked, in small crocks, with a dusting of herbs (particularly marjoram) and panko, with herb oil drizzled on top.

Layered flavors.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,877,579 times
That sounds delicious. I too don't really partake in it anymore too often. It's definitely a splurge item!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM

77,249 posts, read 89,985,593 times
Default What do you see when you open your fridge?

This question hit me a few minutes ago when I was about to make some potato salad and my home made blue cheese dressing (no, not together) Anyway I opened up the fridge and there, staring in the face was 6 containers of sour cream, but they did not all have sour cream in them. 2 were full sour cream containers, one was had about 3 Tbsp. in it and the other 3 had whatever, but nothing marked. My kitchen isn't dirty and neither is the fridge, but it sure is unorganized. I used the almost empty container plus part of another container of sour cream for my dressing and for the potato salad. Then I removed one container that had the humming bird syrup in it (why I had it in the fridge I have no idea) another had a little bit of cold slaw in it. I sat that out to put on pastrami sandwiches at lunch. Now, I am down to only 3 and still they are not marked.

Am I unusual or do others have lots of stuff in the fridge and what do you see first when you open the door?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,318,266 times
Well, probably the carrots and celery to one side, and breakfast fixins to the other (strawberrys, berries, banana, some coffee cake or something like that).

The condiments are usually pushed to the back, where they get old & stale !

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 10,772,591 times
Condiments/dressings/bottles take up the entire door shelves. Bottom shelf holds all the drinks. Shelf up holds all the leftovers. Shelf up holds meat for tonight's dinner, sour creams/marmite/butters/jarred peppers etc. Top shelf holds odds and ends that doesn't fit.

My drawers are organized into lunchmeat/bacon/sausages. Next one are the kids snacks. Last big one holds all our cheeses. We may have a cheese problem....

I don't store produce in the fridge which surprises a lot of people.

As for re-purposing the containers, I don't. But my husband does for odds and ends in the garage. When you open his cabinets in the garage it looks like it's a fridge.

Last edited by momtothree; 05-30-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM

109 posts, read 138,049 times
I see empty space. ha ha. You won't see much on my fridge.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,277,907 times
Our fridge and freezer is full of stuff. Teenagers and all. Heck yeah we save the food containers and use them for food storage. Mostly to send home leftovers with our college senior "living on her own"

Since food doesn't last that long its easy to remmber what in the 2 Daisy sour cream, 2 Knudsen cottage cheese and 3 Molecajete salsa containers. Not to mention the myrad of other tupperware type containers.

Wherever we want to clean up the fridge the kids just invite their friends over. Bingo instant disappearing act on the food.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM

35,106 posts, read 43,452,960 times
I see one gallon of milk, 2 dozen eggs, one 80 ounce container of orange juice, 1 16 ounce container of small curd cottage cheese, 1 package of pork steaks purchased yesterday, 1 package of pork chops purchased yesterday, 2 1lb packages of ground beef purchased yesterday, 1 jar of unopened applesauce, 12 6 ounce containers of yogurt, 1 gallon ziploc bag of fresh cut raw celery, 2 lbs of salted butter and 1 pint of half & half.

Well organized, everything in place, easily accessible and not out of date. My pantrys are the same way, I dislike having to "search" for something I want/need when I am cooking so I make sure everything is where it belongs when groceries are brought home and being put away.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM

10,311 posts, read 11,979,687 times
Skim milk, soy next to it, apple juice. On the side, smart balance oleo, my yogurt and baking soda in the back. I'm kinda OCD w/ my fridge--it's clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or