Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,721,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So the cheese on the outside gets crispy, right? I've done that. (Of course I have. I love cheese.) It can also be done with an omelet... "so I've been told."
Lol yes it gets crispy on the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 AM

934 posts, read 1,120,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I'm surprised the son noticed the difference, if he'd been raised on "mixes". My sister is a terrible cook, and any time we'd have a family event and I'd bring something homemade, they'd turn up their noses at it and eat only what their mother brought. They don't know any better. I stopped bringing my homemade "bunny" cake to Easter because they preferred a store bought cake with that lovely grease frosting. GAG! They wouldn't eat my veggies baked with homemade cheddar cheese sauce, but they'd eat her frozen green beans right out of the microwave, undrained, with Kraft singles layed over the top.

Well, I'm the oddball in the mix looking for the actual homemade items!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:12 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,696,650 times
Smile *

I found a good Lemonade @ Aldis yesterday!!! (Summertime Lemonade)

Tastes pretty good and doesnt have all that garbage in it!! (Its JUST lemon flavour) It does have Citric Acid but not all the other stuff 4C has!!! (I dont see any reason for all that in it WHEN ITS JUST LEMONADE!!)

Ingredients: Filtered Water,Sugar,Lemon Juice Concentrate,Citric Acid,Natural Flavours

Pretty good... Just about what I remember in the 80s..

Old 07-28-2015, 06:16 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Ok I'm going to give it a try.
I have heard of mayo on grilled cheese, I might add it to mine next time and see how it works.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Well, I'm the oddball in the mix looking for the actual homemade items!
Oh, I do almost everything from scratch, but there are exceptions to every rule. I keep processed foods around. there are times when it just seems like the thing to do. Many of us use home made.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
I just got my egg rings, and have commenced making my own breakfast Egg WoofMuffins. Delicious. Made with sharp American cheese on org eggs, and mayonnaise instead of butter - the way God intended it.

Today I'll go buy some sausage patties and ham for them. Or maybe Gimmee Lean vegetarian sausage-flavored patties, if I take a turn for the healthy.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,397,321 times
Default I'm picky! And I don't like it.

At home I stick to simple stuff like pastas and bland food like chicken with just a touch of oil or salt and pepper and some boring veggies like asparagus, green beans, potatoes etc...

I guess you could say I'm a meat and potatoes and pasta type of guy. When I go out to restaurants I'm always the guy ordering plain burgers, plain everything. I am always saying hold the mayo, lettuce, or SOMETHING.

The thing is, I'm not happy being this way. I really wish I could learn to love all sorts of other foods and go out to a restaurant and order something with a lot of ingredients off the menu and eat it as-is. I just really don't like the taste and texture of a lot of the foods I've tried. I try to experiment but always end up chickening out or only being able to get one bite down.

Can anyone relate? Can anyone offer any suggestions to opening up my palate? Is there any hope for me or will I always dislike most flavors and textures?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,721,543 times
I am with you on the burger, I like mine plain as well as I don't like warmed tomato/lettuce/mayo etc and despise pickles.

As for the rest, I can only say make yourself try one new item a week if not twice a week. Try things that are blended rather than mixed up. For an example, try a mole dish at a Mexican place which is blended into a sauce instead of a fajita with all the items separate in the tortilla. Same for an Indian place, try a curry. At an Italian place, try a Bolognese sauced dish. Heck even at a Greek place, try their souvlaki/gyro and just get the meat on pita. Give yourself time and get used to the new flavors.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:44 PM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
My husband used to be a lot like you. It wasn't that he didn't like a lot of foods, but more that he hadn't been exposed to a lot of different foods, so he stuck to the familiar.
When we got married, I did all the cooking, and I have an eat it or starve policy. I cannot be expected to cook the same things day after day. He was open to trying things, and once he did he found he liked a lot of things he thought he wouldn't. Now there are only a few things he doesn't like.
He also used to only order the same thing in restaurants. Now, he makes a point of trying something different every time. He enjoys the variety.
If you think about it, we humans eat 3 meals a day, every day, so if you experiment and don't like something, tomorrow's another day.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,513,137 times
Like Mom2 three said, try something new, at least once a week.

When my wife and I met, she turned me on to onions, mushrooms, garlic, and some snails (seafood-type).

I turned her onto salmon, asparagus, vinegar and lemon juice, avocados...

We ended up loving Rawbars. Tarks was one of our favorite hangouts. Ahh, back in the days.

She learned how to cook asparagus with lemon sauce.

A dozen steamed clams dipped in lemon juice, and conch chowder. Yum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink