Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 09:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you know what, none of us ever got sick from the experience. I will have to say, the thought is pretty gross though.
Well, some do get sick from this stuff.
https://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...300950521.html

Plus much more. I recall when a bunch of people got sick at my health department picnic. The next inservice was on "food poisoning".

The health department where I worked once had to give Hepatitis A shots to some people who'd been exposed at a church school dinner. Someone even called me to ask about their dog who had eaten some of the food. I referred her to her vet.

One time, someone at my church had the bright idea to have kids decorate cookies for the Christmas program. I saw a kid licking the knife he was using to spread the frosting. I talked to the pastor who made some comment before we ate them about how the iced cookies might be difficult for some people with dentures, etc to eat, being diplomatic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:02 PM

32,484 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Not all child-made goodies are unsanitary. Parents with clean kitchens teach their budding cooks about food safety. My son's specialty, chocolate chip cookies, were absolutely safe to eat. Teaching him food safety was a part of teaching him to cook and it was an easy lesson because he watched me cook with care about food safety.

No "five second rule" in my house. If it hit the floor, it hit the garbage.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not all child-made goodies are unsanitary. Parents with clean kitchens teach their budding cooks about food safety. My son's specialty, chocolate chip cookies, were absolutely safe to eat. Teaching him food safety was a part of teaching him to cook and it was an easy lesson because he watched me cook with care about food safety.

Baked goods are usually safe because they've gone through the oven, as long as they handlers have washed their hands when touching the finished product.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nobody wants sugary stuff, candy. Almost everyone I know would turn it down. They're either on a diet, or they are diabetic. But I don't see this peanut brittle, fudge, etc as real food; it has too much sugar in it to be healthy for human consumption.
I guess we must travel in different circles. Homemade sugary stuff, candy or other homemade goodies brought into a workplace or other gathering usually causes a virtual feeding frenzy as people line up to sample the wares, LOL.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,134,423 times
Does Halloween candy corn count?

Old 11-20-2019, 10:13 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, some do get sick from this stuff.
https://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...300950521.html

Plus much more. I recall when a bunch of people got sick at my health department picnic. The next inservice was on "food poisoning".

The health department where I worked once had to give Hepatitis A shots to some people who'd been exposed at a church school dinner. Someone even called me to ask about their dog who had eaten some of the food. I referred her to her vet.

One time, someone at my church had the bright idea to have kids decorate cookies for the Christmas program. I saw a kid licking the knife he was using to spread the frosting. I talked to the pastor who made some comment before we ate them about how the iced cookies might be difficult for some people with dentures, etc to eat, being diplomatic!
ok, I was pretty much commenting tongue in cheek. My point simply is we have all eaten things that might gross us out if we thought about it and yet it is rare we have gotten sick from any of it, regardless of where it came from. Some people just spend too much time worrying about stuff that isn't worth worrying about. being aware is one thing, imagining all that could happen is taking this too far.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:16 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

gee our pastor used to say 15 second, but either way, I pretty much agree with you. I think my kids are more aware of the possibility of germs than I am. don't think any of them though worry about a food gift prepared for them.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,564,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess we must travel in different circles. Homemade sugary stuff, candy or other homemade goodies brought into a workplace or other gathering usually causes a virtual feeding frenzy as people line up to sample the wares, LOL.
LOL. Where I work, too. It only lasts a few hours and when I go back it's gone. Could be donuts, candy, cookies, all gone...and fast. No germaphobes there.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Pretty much the same anywhere I've worked in the last 50 years, as well.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:36 AM

11,010 posts, read 17,383,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Unless it’s store bought I throw it out! I don’t know what is in it or how old.
Can someone say "paranoid"? I'm glad I'm not in the shape you're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink