U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,161,631 times

Advertisements

Airline travel required:

https://www.crownbeach.com/dining/flambe-restaurant/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 10:55 AM

12,859 posts, read 6,965,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I've recently (for no good reason) added a Bucket List item.

I want to have a meal where the appetizer, the entrée, and the dessert are all on fire. But I'm a little stumped by what appetizers are served on fire. Can anyone help?
Saganaki is often served flaming

Old 01-16-2020, 12:09 PM

1,026 posts, read 241,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Saganaki is often served flaming

Exactly what I was going to say.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 PM

5,208 posts, read 2,374,673 times
Colors might be influencing you--commercial decor follows trends just like fashion.
Burnt orange, harvest gold, and avocado green on faded videotape? 70s!
Turquoise and pink? 50s!
Black and white film? Old!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM

5,847 posts, read 7,967,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I was watching Barnaby Jones, "Sunday: Doomsday" and Betty comes out of the grocery store and you just know it is a store of decades past. Was it a shopping cart full of paper bags?

Or The Streets of San Francisco "Act of Duty" where they are doing a stake out in a grocery store and there is something different from now.....is it that there is more room, then, between aisles?

With something like "Scorpio". it is easy to see such as the baskets that would run on the wheeled trolley out in front of the store.

Have grocery stores changed that much over the decades so we know or is there something a bit more hidden.....that our trained minds pick up on?
No plastic - paperboard, glass and aluminum packaging.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM

281 posts, read 163,426 times
A big clunky cash register that goes ding and ker-ching.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM

794 posts, read 229,209 times
I spent the first six years of my employment years, (16 to 22) working for our local A&P Supermarket, just 2 blocks from home. 1972-1978. Just a few things of then vs now. I can honestly say A&P was 120% about the customer. Today...not so much. Back then, yes the stores were smaller, but what the local customers wanted, the store ordered. Our store tried to always have at least 3 choices of each type of item to choose from, often economy, med. priced and a higher grade if available. There were few items that didn't sell as there was no room for those. And yes the carts were smaller, the aisles wider and longer. Very different now. Customer care was off the charts then, now profit margins rule. Oh also, I learned how to tie a tie way back then as we were required to wear a dress shirt and tie at all times. Looking back those were fun times and I wish that kind of store operation was still around.

Oh one way on to see the difference of times on TV shows, look at the widths of the ties, and the hairstyles.

Last edited by Bellacatahoula; 01-16-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Status: "Waiting for coronavirus to end..." (set 25 days ago)

43,536 posts, read 62,274,605 times
I noticed that some customers didn't pay for their shopping right away and the owners would enter each purchase in a book for them to pay later. To the rich it was an element of trust and appreciation, to the poor it was a surviving tool - they could pay when they got their paycheck and sometimes even get some food for free, especially for kids.
Then, the community ties were much stronger.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 PM

40,250 posts, read 49,764,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that some customers didn't pay for their shopping right away and the owners would enter each purchase in a book for them to pay later. To the rich it was an element of trust and appreciation, to the poor it was a surviving tool - they could pay when they got their paycheck and sometimes even get some food for free, especially for kids.
Then, the community ties were much stronger.
Yes, our little market gave a monthly bill to my father. I used to get snacks on my way home from school, and my dad told me to stop doing that, because it was adding to much to the bill.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:23 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Housewives in hair curlers.
Oh God, don't remind me of those days!!! Thank God they are gone and hopefully forever. But then we can look at it the other way: the days when women wore their freshly ironed house dresses to the store. You never say a women wearing uni sex clothes and most had their make up on and maybe even wore nylons as we called them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or