Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 03:06 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Today I felt really old at the grocery store when I learned the store (a really big Kroger chain store) no longer carries barley!
Did you check with customer service, or you just couldn't find it? According to my Harris Teeter app, HT carries three varieties (at least at my location). I'm not sure what chain you're shopping at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 03:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
At my local Kroger's (Fred Meyer), the barley is in the organic section (bagged) and in the bulk bin section. The rice/grain/beans section over in the regular aisles has been cut back in recent years but the organics section has been expanding.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,204,196 times
I think it's largely an issue of supply and demand. I moved from Florida to Massachusetts in 2018, and some things I could find in the grocery in Florida I have to special order now and some things I had to special order then I can find in the grocery store now. It's even store specific within the same chains.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Did you check with customer service, or you just couldn't find it? According to my Harris Teeter app, HT carries three varieties (at least at my location). I'm not sure what chain you're shopping at.

Yup, I was told by customer service that they stopped carrying barley!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:25 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
If the store has an app, I would check on that. Sad to say, but customer service doesn't always know what they're talking about. LOL!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times
I knew I had turned old in the grocery store, when I was in the produce section and sort of bopping along to the Eagles on the music......

And that's when I realized "my" music was now Muzak.

(for the younger readers here, Muzak was from the time before the Sirius XM oldies channels)

Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,067 times
In my area Ralph’s and Vons both carry barley already packaged.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Today I felt really old at the grocery store when I learned the store (a really big Kroger chain store) no longer carries barley! I know that other grains like quinoa are more popular and newer, but I thought barley might still be bought enough to warrant keeping it on the shelf. I wanted it to make mushroom barley soup---is that really obsolete now? California Pizza Kitchen has a split pea barley soup still on the menu, so surely there is still a little interest in it, even in 2020.

To make me feel even older, I saw in the hummus section that there is now prepackaged avocado toast. A small pack of avocado mash a la guacamole and a few melba toast type crackers. And here I thought making my own avo toast was a ridiculously easy meal---mashing up some avocado, putting toast in the toaster, smearing the avo on the toast and then putting some pumpkin seeds and cut up grape tomatoes on top.

It's official--I'm older than dirt! Anyone else have similar experiences?
But think how much you're saving! That meal would be $10 in some restaurant and I'll bet $5 at least at the store...right?

Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Please take customer service with a grain of barley or salt. Get a hold of the actual manager, the guy with the tie who is totally stressed out. He will know.
WallyWorld carries barley. Sometimes it is well hidden as others posted.
It s out there. What grocery stores are in your circle?

Old 02-24-2020, 06:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I knew I had turned old in the grocery store, when I was in the produce section and sort of bopping along to the Eagles on the music......

And that's when I realized "my" music was now Muzak.

(for the younger readers here, Muzak was from the time before the Sirius XM oldies channels)

If you sing along (especially if you sing badly) and dance with your shopping cart, you can often get that whole section of the store to yourself. (Or so I'm told )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink