Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

I like going into a dunkin donuts....look the cashier in the eye...and ask if they sell coffee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 08:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Today I felt really old at the grocery store when I learned the store (a really big Kroger chain store) no longer carries barley! I know that other grains like quinoa are more popular and newer, but I thought barley might still be bought enough to warrant keeping it on the shelf. I wanted it to make mushroom barley soup---is that really obsolete now? California Pizza Kitchen has a split pea barley soup still on the menu, so surely there is still a little interest in it, even in 2020.

To make me feel even older, I saw in the hummus section that there is now prepackaged avocado toast. A small pack of avocado mash a la guacamole and a few melba toast type crackers. And here I thought making my own avo toast was a ridiculously easy meal---mashing up some avocado, putting toast in the toaster, smearing the avo on the toast and then putting some pumpkin seeds and cut up grape tomatoes on top.

It's official--I'm older than dirt! Anyone else have similar experiences?
I don't think it's a matter of your feeling that you're old! You shouldn't! It's a matter of your being a better and more eclectic cook than your neighbors! Did you complain to the store?

Old 02-26-2020, 08:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I have seen barley at my local Kroger's affiliate and at most other supermarkets. It goes really good with beef shanks in a soup.

I have found employees to be very unreliable UNLESS it is the employee doing the stocking. Last month , the bulk foods guy told me that they had no popcorn. I went to go get some beans and guess what? The popcorn was right these.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:54 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like going into a dunkin donuts....look the cashier in the eye...and ask if they sell coffee...
How did your challenge come out?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I've been drinking stink bug coffee for a week. I saw one in the kitchen last week and went to get a damp paper towel to pick it up, then couldn't find it. It was in the coffee maker water reservoir. Ewww.

I've been drinking dead stink bug coffee!

Old 02-28-2020, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've been drinking stink bug coffee for a week. I saw one in the kitchen last week and went to get a damp paper towel to pick it up, then couldn't find it. It was in the coffee maker water reservoir. Ewww.

But think about it this way, maybe that little bug added a lot of flavor to your coffee?.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But think about it this way, maybe that little bug added a lot of flavor to your coffee?.
And I thought that it was because I bought a different brand of coffee. lol

Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Oh gosh that reminds me of all those years ago when my mother picked up a coffee bean so she thought from the just cleaned floor and threw it in the coffee grinder.with the other beans.How did she not realize it was not a coffee bean. The coffee tasted awful and of course we all teased her for years to come.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Oh gosh that reminds me of all those years ago when my mother picked up a coffee bean so she thought from the just cleaned floor and threw it in the coffee grinder.with the other beans.How did she not realize it was not a coffee bean. The coffee tasted awful and of course we all teased her for years to come.
Oh no! That's worse than a whole one.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've never seen barley in a grocery store. I know it's used in dog food, but I've never even read a recipe for people that calls for barley. Maybe it's a regional thing? Rice is big in my area. Stores have all sorts of rice, prepackaged & flavored & seasoned, to brown raw short or brown raw long, white long, big bags, small bags, different brands.

So many people these days like pre-packaged food, like that avocado toast. I can't get over the fact that people use chocolate syrup these days to make cocoa, instead of using...cocoa! I pulled out a jar of Hershey's cocoa powder to make hot cocoa, & my brother said, "what's that?" I told him, "cocoa...to make hot cocoa." He said why not use choc syrup like his family does. He'd never heard of using cocoa powder. Go figure.

Or cake mixes. ??? Cake mixes aren't even much of a shortcut to making a cake. I never understood why people used them.
I saw pearled barley in the bulk food section of my local WINCO today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink