Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

I have never learned to eat Crawfish; it seems like so much work for nothing. Maybe I need directions on how to get the most out of those little creatures.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 11:51 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never learned to eat Crawfish; it seems like so much work for nothing. Maybe I need directions on how to get the most out of those little creatures.
Have you ever eaten "peel and eat" shrimp? Sort of the same thing with a harder shell (unless they are pond raised). Of course you also have to suck the juices and fat out of the heads Less work than picking and eating blue crab. I only show someone once how to break down and pick blue crab. Then you're on your own.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Donno. I do not mind trying almost anything. Yet, every time I have them, meat tastes me of swamp. Can't help. Lobsters - no. Calamari - no. Oysters - no. Frogs - no. Crowfish - swamp. Can't help.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,239 times
Dogboa, I wish you could send some my way! I love sucking head and so does my husband (relax folks Dogboa knows what I mean - it is a New Orleans term for sucking the crawfish heads). Enjoy!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Dogboa, I wish you could send some my way! I love sucking head and so does my husband (relax folks Dogboa knows what I mean - it is a New Orleans term for sucking the crawfish heads). Enjoy!
Thanks for explaining that.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Can't rep you right now, but I wish I could have these more often! I'm doing my boil tomorrow, so will get some pics. We'll pick most of these to have tails for other meals.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Damn, envious. I haven't experienced a good crawdad boil in ages.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 AM

Too tired to mess with pictures last night. So here they are. Something I've never run into, they were purged before shipping. When I went to purge them, the water ran clear.

Fresh out of the pot with steam rising in the cooler.

Clearer view.

The vege. I only had one stick of andouille left.

Dinner plate!

When we are done eating, we normally separate the heads from the tails, divide the tails into 1 pound packages and freeze the packages for picking when we go to use the tail meat. This time we picked all the tail meat and will divide, vacuum seal and freeze today. After I clean up and put away my cooking equipment, I'll be making a trip to Restaurant Depot to get some boneless pork butt to prep for Tasso and Andouille making next weekend.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:00 AM

923 posts, read 526,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
No local available, no problem. Just ordered 30 pounds of XL WC crawfish from Kyle Leblanc seafood in Raceland, LA. Will pick up at Ft. Lauderdale international on Friday. Doing the boil on Saturday. Pics to follow
Hate poster here!
We usually do a crawfish boil every year. We get ours from LA crawfish co. I already have seasoning ready for two sacks.
With work and covid it's going to delay us till probably the middle of June. I hope we can do it then.

Honestly, the best part is sucking the head, has all the flavor. Sounds nasty, but for those who have had it you'll love it.

Do you use a boil boss cooling ring or ice? I haven't used either, usually just cool the pot with garden hose spraying down the outside of pot.

I'll be eating vicariously through your pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Take care!

Old 05-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Hate poster here!
We usually do a crawfish boil every year. We get ours from LA crawfish co. I already have seasoning ready for two sacks.
With work and covid it's going to delay us till probably the middle of June. I hope we can do it then.

Honestly, the best part is sucking the head, has all the flavor. Sounds nasty, but for those who have had it you'll love it.

Do you use a boil boss cooling ring or ice? I haven't used either, usually just cool the pot with garden hose spraying down the outside of pot.

I'll be eating vicariously through your pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Take care!
I have no idea what a "boil boss" is. I boil for 5 minutes then turn off heat and soak for 5 minutes, then drain basket and place in a clean cooler. Once I had to do them in batches when my wife brought back 80 pounds from a place in Slidell. Unfortunately they don't ship live. does LA Crawfish Co. sell WC or spillway crawfish or are they field caught or pond raised? Out of 30 pounds, there were only 5 or 6 dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink