Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 11:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Cilantro does not like warm soil and cramped quarters. Rosemary twigs freeze well.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 09:43 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Can someone help me find the Pepperidge Farm cookie thread?

Old 09-17-2020, 12:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Today, I cleaned out all my herbs and spices and ordered nice uniform 4oz spice jars to organize them better. The longevity award goes to poppy seeds that expired in 2001.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:29 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Delicata squash anyone?

My friend just bought one at a farmers market, and said it is wonderful. Apparently, the peel is tender enough to eat also.

I’ll be looking for it in the store.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:28 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Hi everyone! I hope everyone is safe and healthy. I haven't been around for a couple of months due to work but that changed this morning, lol!

Old 10-05-2020, 11:49 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Default Something I don't get with recipe reviews

Does anyone here do this? I look for new recipes all the time. Naturally if I Google "Crabcake recipes" or something, I'm going to go to the 4.5-5-star reviewed recipes first. Sometimes, yesterday, I scroll to the bottom to read the reviews, and there are reviews that give it 5 stars then under comments it says "This looks delicious, I can't wait to try it!!"

Why give the recipe 5 stars if you didn't even make it yet? Yesterday on one recipe, there were 6 five-star reviews, and not a single one of them had actually made the recipe.

Same thing with reviewers who give a poor review, but in the comments state they modified it or substituted ingredients. "This turned out very dry, I would not make it again. I didn't have applesauce or whole milk, so I used such and such instead".

It's not a big deal, but every time I see these reviews I wonder about why people do this. It's like reviewing a movie based only on seeing the trailer to me, or reviewing a restaurant based only on seeing the menu.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
Yes, that's actually one of my pet peeves. That and the reviewers who change the recipes so much, you might as well change the recipe's name too. I mean, yeah, I don't always follow recipes 100%, especially if I don't have the exact ingredients. But when I try something for the first time, I will at least follow all the instructions 100% so I know what to change next time if necessary.

I've stopped reading all those reviews long ago because of it. If I want to make it, I'll make it regardless of what the rating says.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:00 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It's no different than clicking on "like" without reading/seeing things first. Or replying to a topic without reading what's about?
Lots of mindless things are done online. You can't rely on that, sadly.
Not sure why people do that. They are bored? Don't care?

I am a quite experienced cook and can "imagine" the outcome, but some of recipes don't even make sense. So, sometimes I think people just post stuff for the sake of posting and being "present" online. They didn't even try the recipes themselves.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yes, that's actually one of my pet peeves. That and the reviewers who change the recipes so much, you might as well change the recipe's name too. I mean, yeah, I don't always follow recipes 100%, especially if I don't have the exact ingredients. But when I try something for the first time, I will at least follow all the instructions 100% so I know what to change next time if necessary.

I've stopped reading all those reviews long ago because of it. If I want to make it, I'll make it regardless of what the rating says.
It's really a shame to have to skip the reviews, but you are right. Luckily there are still a decent amount of recipes where the people actually made it. Mostly on the bigger sites.

I substitute too, but I wouldn't review the recipe poorly if I made all the substitutions and it didn't come out good, out of fairness.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's no different than clicking on "like" without reading/seeing things first. Or reply to a topic without reading what's about?
Lots of mindless things are done online. You can't rely on that, sadly.
Not sure why people do that. They are bored? Don't care?

I am a quite experienced cook and can "imagine" the outcome, but some of recipes don't even make sense. So, sometimes I think people just post stuff for the sake of posting and being "present" online. They didn't even try the recipes themselves.
That's one of my pet peeves on the boards! People don't read the linked article, but they comment on it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink