U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
19,743 posts, read 23,344,524 times
Reputation: 27492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Oh how awful! LOL That is so frustrating! I have done things like that - couldn't remember if I put the water or milk in something and do it twice, or forget that I already put eggs in - or think I put eggs in when I didn't. Comes from watching television and being on the telephone while cooking!
I can just see it coming! One of these days I'll be making a dish, distractedly using ingredients from a neighboring recipe, and, lo and behold! It will be a yummy winner!

And? Off to work I go, let my co-workers have a taste, they beg me for the recipe, I give it to them, they follow the recipe to a T, and?

"I think you gave us the wrong recipe! The bread you brought in had nuts and a nice molasses flavor, now please bring us the correct recipe!"

Last edited by tijlover; 04-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: edit/change wording
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 PM
 
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
3,724 posts, read 8,866,301 times
Reputation: 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hi, peeps! Life around Austin is going great during my R&R. I just learned, however, that Katz's Deli in Austin closed back in January after 3 decades. That means I'll have to go to another place for lunch tomorrow. Oh, well......

Otherwise, things are fine in my travels. There's been some really good food had already, with much more to come. You'll see some posts with a few of these places, because I just might give you folks some ideas.

Have a nice evening.
Try the tequila chicken with jalapeno pasta at the Hill Country Pasta House near Lake Travis if it's still around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 AM
 
10,996 posts, read 11,910,034 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can just see it coming! One of these days I'll be making a dish, distractedly using ingredients from a neighboring recipe, and, lo and behold! It will be a yummy winner!

And? Off to work I go, let my co-workers have a taste, they beg me for the recipe, I give it to them, they follow the recipe to a T, and?

"I think you gave us the wrong recipe! The bread you brought in had nuts and a nice molasses flavor, now please bring us the correct recipe!"

This actually happened on Friends one time, when Rachel started making Shepherd's Pie and got it mixed with an English Trifle recipe on the next page of the recipe book. It was hilarious.



YouTube - "traditional" english trifle-pie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,484 posts, read 13,889,005 times
Reputation: 72926
Hey, has anyone ever tried water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, brushed with sweet teriyaki
sauce/glaze, baked/broiled?
Some friends brought some over on Saturday - they were great! So easy to make - and pretty cheap, too.
While I may prefer scallops or shrimp, these are very good at a fraction of the price.
I see there are many recipes if you search: "water chestnuts" bacon teriyaki

It was great - they had a large tray of them and they had toothpicks in them to hold the bacon on them. Nice sweet, smokey bacon along with a nice crunch from the water chestnuts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
 
18,847 posts, read 33,487,314 times
Reputation: 26222
So, I went to where you get a free box of food today, for a client, it was interesting. They gave out a box with four heads of lettuce, 4 cucumbers, a bag of carrots, a case of Starbucks coffee drinks, three boxes of danishes, and some random, strange stuff, canned applesauce, a few other cans of food, a few bags of chips, a couple of different spices, and a huge bag with bagels, bread, rolls. a case of frozen OJ, and 2 pounds of chicken. Now, I did not stand in line, but the people who came, had to wait in a line for about 45 minutes for that food. No judging, but why would someone who drives a Hummer come to a food bank, and wait for free food? I saw people who drove Mini-Coopers there, and BMW's. Interesting. Food stamps now, are just not cutting it with the cost of food.

If you know anyone who is having problems, buy them a bag of groceries. I bought this same person some food a few weeks ago to tide her over, she was so grateful, it was really touching. People are going hungry in the United States. Even on food stamps. Social Security is just not enough, not that it should be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Southern California
32,850 posts, read 18,124,920 times
Reputation: 55403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Hey, has anyone ever tried water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, brushed with sweet teriyaki
sauce/glaze, baked/broiled?
Some friends brought some over on Saturday - they were great! So easy to make - and pretty cheap, too.
While I may prefer scallops or shrimp, these are very good at a fraction of the price.
I see there are many recipes if you search: "water chestnuts" bacon teriyaki

It was great - they had a large tray of them and they had toothpicks in them to hold the bacon on them. Nice sweet, smokey bacon along with a nice crunch from the water chestnuts.
Wow, those sound absolutely delicious! Especially the combination of the savory flavor of the bacon with the sweetness of the teriyaki sauce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 04:04 AM
 
10,996 posts, read 11,910,034 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
So, I went to where you get a free box of food today, for a client, it was interesting. They gave out a box with four heads of lettuce, 4 cucumbers, a bag of carrots, a case of Starbucks coffee drinks, three boxes of danishes, and some random, strange stuff, canned applesauce, a few other cans of food, a few bags of chips, a couple of different spices, and a huge bag with bagels, bread, rolls. a case of frozen OJ, and 2 pounds of chicken. Now, I did not stand in line, but the people who came, had to wait in a line for about 45 minutes for that food. No judging, but why would someone who drives a Hummer come to a food bank, and wait for free food? I saw people who drove Mini-Coopers there, and BMW's. Interesting. Food stamps now, are just not cutting it with the cost of food.

If you know anyone who is having problems, buy them a bag of groceries. I bought this same person some food a few weeks ago to tide her over, she was so grateful, it was really touching. People are going hungry in the United States. Even on food stamps. Social Security is just not enough, not that it should be.
They probably don't qualify for food stamps, but still can't make ends meet. I've gone to these places when i've had the need because work wasn't consistent. They usually give me some broccoli passed its due date and just a few cans of beans or something. Where you went, seems much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 AM
 
18,847 posts, read 33,487,314 times
Reputation: 26222
Well, I made the "switch", I have gone dairy free, and am now using soy milk for everything. It is not that bad. I rarely drink milk, and just use it on cereal, and in coffee, and I was tired of throwing spoiled milk away.

Next, giving up beef, I am going vegetarian in slow stages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM
 
10,996 posts, read 11,910,034 times
Reputation: 8367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, I made the "switch", I have gone dairy free, and am now using soy milk for everything. It is not that bad. I rarely drink milk, and just use it on cereal, and in coffee, and I was tired of throwing spoiled milk away.

Next, giving up beef, I am going vegetarian in slow stages.
There's powdered milk, in case you ever want to go back to dairy, it doesn't spoil the way fresh milk does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
40,416 posts, read 49,979,296 times
Reputation: 69265
This is rumaki, Rain. You can make them with water chestnuts, pineapple, scallops or chicken livers. Most recipes are about the same, but I add brown sugar to the sauce for mine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top