U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 AM

16,477 posts, read 13,848,494 times

Advertisements

Hey....where is everybody? If I had everyone's phone number I could call you all and wake yas up so that you won't be missing out on the Labor Day party! Yeee-haaa! The food's all good and the drinks are flowin'.....it's just past 4 a.m. and I'm thinkin' about going outside and opening the big bag of Fritos....maybe walk around on the sidewalk! C'mon everybody! Get yer a$$es up and let's get this rodeo goin'! Weeeeee! Wee Wee Weeeeeee!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,393,877 times

LOL, rainroosty. I've already made coleslaw, prepped ribs with dry-rub, cleaned the bathroom, made bed and did 2 loads of laundry; last one's in the dryer now, unloaded the dishwasher. - All on just my 1st still working on it 1/2 cup of coffee.
And lol, again. I saw the new Header of CD.com 1st thing and posted a thread on it. Cool, right?

Happy Labor Day, ALL!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,301,505 times
I was on "vacation" the week before Labor Day (which was the last day of my vacation). My job doesn't pay me enough to go anywhere so I hate calling it a "vacation." More like, "I don't have to go to work for the next eight days!"

Anyway, my week was spent cooking and canning everything in my freezer to clean it out. (My cat hid out of fear he was next.)

I made, and canned...
  • A whole turkey (in broth made from the bones).
  • 5 lbs of stew meat made into homemade beef soup (in homemade broth).
  • A whole chicken made into soup (again with the homemade broth).
(Making homemade broth is so relaxing and satisfying to me.)

I also had 14 huge chicken breasts that I turned into (and canned)...
  • Curried Chicken
  • General Tso's Chicken
  • Chicken in a Ginger Lime Marinade. (Best. Marinade. Ever. And very easy to make.)

And, lastly,
  • Smoked Baked Beans (with adobo peppers, caramelized onions, two kinds of beans, red peppers, smoked ham hocks and Applewood Smoked Bacon).

This way my freezer was cleared out but I didn't have to eat everything to do it! I canned it (a pressure canner is a very good thing) and put it in the pantry where it's now good for years! Now I have plenty of room in my freezer for my two best friends, Ben & Jerry! (And a foreign kid I know called Häagen-Dazs !)

Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,750,383 times
What size jar did you use for the turkey, Plain, 5 gallons?

And what's the marinade recipe?

Those beans look killer, I have about 5 lbs of dried pintos that I need to start using because they're getting old, I'm going to try them that way. After I use the old chickpeas to make hummus ......

Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
B4U

Why let all that stuff take up all that pantry space? B4U is here to help, dear.

General Tso says he needs a visit to a warm clim and expects accommodations to be satisfactory upon his arrival.
Rice and sake in hand waiting for him.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What size jar did you use for the turkey, Plain, 5 gallons?

And what's the marinade recipe?

Those beans look killer, I have about 5 lbs of dried pintos that I need to start using because they're getting old, I'm going to try them that way. After I use the old chickpeas to make hummus ......
ROFL! I cubed and shredded the turkey after it was cooked and canned it in pint-sized jars. Personally, I love canning in pints, not quarts, because I'm single and a pint is the PERFECT single serving size. I feed a lot of elderly in my apartment building who live alone. By canning meals, I can make sure they're eating good, home-cooked foods and not subsisting on processed and frozen foods. I can take them a jar and they still have the convenience of opening and heating it like they would a can of Spaghettios.

Here's the Ginger Lime Marinade recipe. I often double it. I seriously cannot recommend this enough. I've never heard a single person say they didn't like it or that it was even just "ok." My boss calls it, "to die for." I can say all that because it's not my recipe (so I'm not bragging)! It's one I found online some time ago. Once it's marinated, if you can cook the chicken in cast iron, it makes it even better.

1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp Honey
2 Limes; juiced and rinds zested
4 Garlic Cloves; minced
1 inch piece of Ginger; minced
1/2 tsp Dried Mint

NOTES: Every ingredient is essential. Trust me. Do not substitute things like bottled lime juice for the fresh lime juice. And be sure to use the lime zest. The one ingredient that is fine for substitution is using a heaping Tbsp of minced ginger from a jar instead of fresh ginger (if you don't have it). I love my jar of minced ginger. It's all the flavor without the work or the sharp bite that fresh ginger has. (I get it at my regular grocery store. "The Ginger People" )Don't use olive oil, use vegetable oil. It helps in cooking the chicken and has a higher smoke temperature.

HINT: Honey comes off the measuring spoon very easily and quickly if you first use it to measure out the oil.

(Can you tell how much I like this marinade?!)

Here's the recipe for the Smoky Baked Beans. They take time and patience, but it's worth it. You could speed it up by soaking the beans but this longer method helps all the flavors to marry well.

4 Cups Dry Pinto Beans (2 one pound bags)
1 Large Onion; diced and caramelized
2 Red Bell Peppers; diced
4 Garlic Cloves; minced
2 Jalapenos, diced and de-seeded (for less heat)
1-2 Smoked Ham Hock (no such thing as too many)
1 package of Thick Cut Smoked Applewood Bacon
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 tsp Salt; or more to taste
2 tsp Black Pepper; or more to taste

Rinse and sort beans. Put the Beans and the Ham Hock(s) in a large stock pot and cover with water by two inches. Bring to a full boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for two hours. Check the water levels occasionally and add as needed.

In the meantime, cook all the bacon and chop it up. Caramelize the onion so it's ready to add after the two hours of simmering. After the two hours, remove the Ham Hock, let cool and separate the meat from the fat.

Add the caramelized onion, bacon, ham hock(s), red peppers, garlic and jalapenos. Cover and simmer for another hour or so, while continuing to check the water levels. The final consistency should be like that

Add the salt, pepper and cumin and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes. The sauce should have the consistency of a can of pork and beans.

NOTE: I had a small can of adobe peppers in sauce on hand so I used those instead of jalapenos.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks!

So I'll have to go get limes, mint, smoked ham hocks, and cumin.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Thanks!

So I'll have to go get limes, mint, smoked ham hocks, and cumin.
Let me know what you think! I really like that all the ingredients are cheap, too. I can't ever be without cumin. It's my favorite spice. If you have a foreign food market in your area, you can get your spices at a fraction of the cost of what you would from a regular grocery store. That little bit of dried mint really makes a difference in the marinade. What I really like about it is that all the flavors from all the ingredients come through.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Around here we get bulk herbs from the healthfood store, which is a really good one for a small town (people here take their health seriously). Some of the stuff from the bulk bins is tasteless from being in the open, like sage and herbes de provence, but others are powerful, way better than that McCormick crap - cinnamon, oregano, organic onion granules, nutmeg, etc.

We have wild mint growing in several places by the mountain, but it's probably too strong to be used in that marinade.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 AM
B4U

Woof, when you go to WallyWorld next, check the hispanic section for small spice quantities for the spices you use infrequently. I think the brand is "Badia". They hang on a hook and are less than $1.00 for a pack of almost anything. And those tiny bags/packettes are resealable!

I like to do this to keep my supply low & fresh on some things, like mint & sesame seeds, etc.
Or like dried cilantro. I hate the taste when I can taste it clearly in a recipe. The fresh stuff especially tastes like soap to me.
But some dishes need it as a very small part of the whole. And it really does make a diff, if left out. So that small, resealable little bag stays inside my fridge door. Perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or