U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,373,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tell me what's wrong with processed foods. Why not start out with products containing large amounts of cooked tomato from catsup to tomato juice? Then perhaps you can tell me why I shouldn't eat sardines or sprats or cod liver from a can.

If you wish to pontificate let's see some actual proof, for example, medical studies conducted by actual medical institutions, not the clerk at the health food store.

Luddite is a well-known term in the history and practice of machine technology. We now seem to be getting an identical group in food technology with just as much knowledge to back up their foolish claims. The nutritional Luddite does not know more than those of us who base our diets on what tastes good.
Jeez. Pedant is also a well-known term. A person who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge.

When people say processed food it's generally understood to mean fast food, junk food, refined flours, sugary drinks, food that's full of preservatives and dyes, TV dinners, etc. Not the strict, literal definition. In the literal sense of the phrase you would have to include anything that's washed, frozen, cooked, reduced, canned, bottled, jarred, smoked, peeled, chopped, sliced, cured, brined, fermented, pitted, de-stemmed, dried, etc.

When someone says "processed food" chances are they're talking about Taco Bell and Ding Dongs, not canned freaking sardines.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,655,692 times
Pedant is a great word. The kids like to say "douchebag," which applies just as well here.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,345,125 times
Quote:
Tell me what's wrong with processed foods. Why not start out with products containing large amounts of cooked tomato from catsup to tomato juice? Then perhaps you can tell me why I shouldn't eat sardines or sprats or cod liver from a can.

If you wish to pontificate let's see some actual proof, for example, medical studies conducted by actual medical institutions, not the clerk at the health food store.

Luddite is a well-known term in the history and practice of machine technology. We now seem to be getting an identical group in food technology with just as much knowledge to back up their foolish claims. The nutritional Luddite does not know more than those of us who base our diets on what tastes good.
If "processed" is used as shorthand for boxed and packaged foods comprised almost entirely of refined carbohydrate, then peer reviewed evidence exists. Are you qualified to evaluate the studies, the methods, and whether the conclusions drawn are accurate? Bibliography salad isn't helpful when all people do is sling links, without having a body of knowledge to integrate them into.

If you are using "processed" in a stricter fashion to describe any food that has had something done to it before it reaches the consumer (like canned tomatoes, or tuna, or frozen veggies, or rolled oats) then sure, that is ideology over fact.

I agree that there is a tendency to idolize pre techology ways to an inappropriate degree. This movement in the food world is paralleled in the realm of childbirth, pharmaceuticals, and others.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 AM

44,266 posts, read 56,100,550 times
Quote:
Tell me what's wrong with processed foods. .
Processed food tends to be calorie rich and nutrition deficient. So imagine...you get fat, but you are still malnourished. What an effed up concept.

Most of what people are referring to as 'processed food' also contains a lot of chemicals, additives, substitutes...many of which HAVE BEEN SHOWN in studies to be harmful. In fact, many of the things in our food have already been banned in other countries.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,659,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Think what you want. My Blood pressure is great, weight is down from 219 to 180. I can walk farther without tiring. I feel better. I eat anything i want now days because i have learned about foods and that processed stuff stinks and tastes terrible. I don't go to health food stores and don't know any healthfood store clerks either. Go a head and be a hard head it won't affect me at all.

This is wonderful....good for you. I was told to change my attitude towards eating foods and especially processed foods because of the sodium and fat content.....my cardiac doctor told me this and he has a medical degree. I don't have as much water retention, have lost weight, can walk long distances without being short of breath because of less fluids and am still alive!!!

I learned to cook differently but I still use gourmet recipes, just without the sodium and fat that can damage my health. I'm with you.....when I try to eat a piece of processed lunch meat or other food I can't tolerate the taste.....anyone CAN learn to like the tastes of foods which are better for you....a lot of people say they can't and won't change their tastes for certain foods, but if it's a medical issue, you would be surprised what you will do to assure you live on.

Keep on doing what you're doing!!!!! Don't be afraid to look for a recipe and change it to your taste!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM

It's true, rural.
Once you get used to real, fresh food, the other stuff tastes TERRIBLE.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

5,336 posts, read 8,531,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's true, rural.
Once you get used to real, fresh food, the other stuff tastes TERRIBLE.
I remember the last time I took a bite of a Twinkie. I hadn't had one for years, but on a busy day at work where we had to skip lunch a coworker brought in a box of Twinkies. I took one bite and thought it tasted like a sponge full of chemicals! Yuck! Yet people eat those every day and think they taste delicious.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I remember the last time I took a bite of a Twinkie. I hadn't had one for years, but on a busy day at work where we had to skip lunch a coworker brought in a box of Twinkies. I took one bite and thought it tasted like a sponge full of chemicals! Yuck! Yet people eat those every day and think they taste delicious.
I used to love Coke. Coca Cola. On the rare occasions I was allowed to have it as a child, I would eat it with a spoon to savor it (granted, this was overseas where it was still made with real sugar). I went to the museum in Atlanta. I have a stapler made out of a coke bottle. I have a shirt. Vintage ads. You get where I am going with this.

Now that we don't do soda (except occasional Perrier just to get a little taste of carbonation now and then), I can't drink Coke. Especially not the regular HFCS kind. OMG. It's TERRIBLE. I mean awful. I mean, BLECCCCCHHHH!!!!!

Occasional San Pelligrino still is good, but I can't drink the whole can of that, either.
Now it's just water, coffee, occasional wine/scotch...maybe some tea sometimes.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM

5,336 posts, read 8,531,250 times
I see coworkers tear open bags of bright orange cheese puffs, or artificially colored breakfast cereal in all the colors of the rainbow for snacks. Yet they think it is strange when I snack on fresh broccoli or steamed veggies.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM

12,010 posts, read 11,267,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's why you don't tell someone they have to change their attitude unless they ask.
I sure agree with you on that. Surest way to create a brick wall. I was asked by several friends what i do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or