U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,130 posts, read 8,904,054 times
Reputation: 11719

Advertisements

I've changed my attitude a lot in the last year or so. I don't buy very much processed food now. I think living in CO has been a huge part of that. People are a lot more health conscious of that stuff here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,935 posts, read 7,079,238 times
Reputation: 5507
The entire agricultural system is beyond repair in this country. It's beyond appalling. And we are mostly at fault due to our desire for quick, easy, and "cheap" (which is debatable when looking at the amount of tax dollars devoted to keep our current system going). Corporate welfare, price supports, obesity rates, junk/dangerous flavor additives, fake coloring, genetic modifications to plants, growth hormones being pumped into animals, and so on.

Start gardening, support local farmers markets, harvest wild game/raise your own livestock/chickens (if possible), stop eating fast food, stop purchasing products made with our gross overproduction of corn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 AM
 
18,847 posts, read 33,420,746 times
Reputation: 26215
Last night I made stew in the crockpot...came home, it was a bit thin...added some Couscous...let it cook a bit, it was delicious! We ate two bowls each..the problem when I cook is it is so yummy....I over eat!

Leftovers today for lunch...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,271 posts, read 89,996,081 times
Reputation: 48172
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
but wouldn't you say this fenom of eating out almost every day for any meal is relatively new?
i remember my parents going maybe once every few months, unless it was BK maybe once every few weeks.
Other than eating out when working I would agree with you. My parents were upper middle class and could pretty much afford to eat out. I would guess, as a family we ate out maybe once a month at most and that is including all three meals: we rarely ate lunch out unless we were traveling. They did go out, maybe once a month, just the two of them or with friends. When our kids were growning up, it was about the same. After they were adults and out of the house we ate out more, especially when I was working, but even then, closer to once a week, not daily. Move to our daughter and hubby, both working full time and two, very active girls, they did eat out or order in about 4 or 5 times a week plus breakfast out on weekends. Now that the girls are on thier own, marreid, with families of their own, daughter and son in law rarely eat out except on weekends. I agree with you, this is a new practice or certainly in the past 10 to 15 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: West Paris
10,264 posts, read 10,862,396 times
Reputation: 24429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Last night I made stew in the crockpot...came home, it was a bit thin...added some Couscous...let it cook a bit, it was delicious! We ate two bowls each..the problem when I cook is it is so yummy....I over eat!

Leftovers today for lunch...
I have always pleasure to cook at home in the calm and i know what i eat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,271 posts, read 89,996,081 times
Reputation: 48172
Proceessed foods versus fresh is a debate that will go on forever. For us, we use very few proceesed foods because I happen to love to cook, do a lot of canning during the summer and grow as much as I can. Do we use some processed foods? Of course, and do we love an occassional pizza? Of course, as well as rich sauses, processed or not. Probably the worst part of processed foods are the calories and sodium, two things that are not good for us, we know. That being said, I don't think those who have switched from process to "made from scratch" feel better or lose weight simply from switching to a healthier diet, but because they hav cut down on the calories.

I will always remember our family doctor in Va many years ago and this was seconded by our doctor in Texas: a calorie is a calorie, regardless where it came from. if you cut your intake, by 1/3 to 1/2 you will lose weight. You can drink all of the calories if you want, it is the same. Of course, as he said, if we drink them all we will come back to him for treatment of liver desease. I think too many of us, try to push our views onto other people. You want to cook from scratch, great, you want to be a vegetarian, great or you want to be a "julia Childs' cook, that is up to you... For me, I like to mix it up, depending on my mood that day, week or month!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
 
12,047 posts, read 11,286,693 times
Reputation: 4753
Nothing wrong with cheating a bit on foods. I love hotdogs more now than i did before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Michigan
2,198 posts, read 2,374,330 times
Reputation: 2092
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I will always remember our family doctor in Va many years ago and this was seconded by our doctor in Texas: a calorie is a calorie, regardless where it came from. if you cut your intake, by 1/3 to 1/2 you will lose weight. You can drink all of the calories if you want, it is the same.
In my opinion, this is a gross oversimplification that does far more harm than good and that has very little practical application in the real world. Hunger and cravings don't occur in a vacuum. What you eat directly determines how hungry you feel and how much energy you expend later.

500 calories of X makes you feel full for 5 hours, takes a long time to digest, and provides steady energy.
500 calories of Y makes you still feel hungry, or even makes you hungrier than you were to start with, and causes an insulin spike that makes you tired

If you eat Y, you'll end up eating more calories and burning less than if you had eaten X. One is far more likely to lead to weight gain even though they have the same number of calories.

The reason we have so much obesity is not because people stopped counting calories decades ago, they never did do that. What changed is that they started eating foods that were high in calories, but digest quickly, and that do not sufficiently curb hunger. This is the cause of the obesity epidemic, not people eating too many calories of chicken and broccoli. Go ahead and try to eat 3,000 calories of grilled chicken and steamed broccoli in a day, it will be a massive fail. Now try to do the same with potato chips and Koolaid- that's easy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 PM
 
18,847 posts, read 33,420,746 times
Reputation: 26215
I agree. This morning I had an egg white scramble, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, huge bowl of food, 250 calories.

In comparison to the one the run breakfast I had the other day, from Starbucks, a slice of pumpkin bread, 350 calories.

I am more full with the eggs and vegetable breakfast, than the pumpkin bread. And, the pumpkin bread was more calories, less food.

All things being equal, I would rather have a big bowl of vegetables, and tuna, than a Big Mac from Micky D's.And, I think the salad would still have less calories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
 
Location: So Cal
43,851 posts, read 42,928,275 times
Reputation: 44945
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
In my opinion, this is a gross oversimplification that does far more harm than good and that has very little practical application in the real world. Hunger and cravings don't occur in a vacuum. What you eat directly determines how hungry you feel and how much energy you expend later.

500 calories of X makes you feel full for 5 hours, takes a long time to digest, and provides steady energy.
500 calories of Y makes you still feel hungry, or even makes you hungrier than you were to start with, and causes an insulin spike that makes you tired

If you eat Y, you'll end up eating more calories and burning less than if you had eaten X. One is far more likely to lead to weight gain even though they have the same number of calories.

The reason we have so much obesity is not because people stopped counting calories decades ago, they never did do that. What changed is that they started eating foods that were high in calories, but digest quickly, and that do not sufficiently curb hunger. This is the cause of the obesity epidemic, not people eating too many calories of chicken and broccoli. Go ahead and try to eat 3,000 calories of grilled chicken and steamed broccoli in a day, it will be a massive fail. Now try to do the same with potato chips and Koolaid- that's easy.
I read the Atkins book a few yrs ago and a lot of what he said made a lot of sense to me. I followed the diet and did lose weight. I've always just bought into the "fat avoidance" thing and I've never really lost any weight doing a low fat diet.

I really do see it's about eating the right combations of foods and trying to avoid things that spike the blood sugar levels.

The whole blood sugar spike and getting hungry again cycle makes sense.

I don't follow a low carb diet per se these days, I just try and watch the obvious stuff like too much bread/pasta/potatoes/rice/ sugar type stuff... I eat them, but limit how much.

It is also about getting enough protein/fat with your lower GI friendly carbs....

Some people eat a big bowl of fruit only and think that they are eating healthy... they really aren't...... sure it's better then hitting up fast food...

Some fruit and nuts and a little cheese would be a better way to go, for example......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top