Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 04:36 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You guys are missing the point entirely. I bet he meant to say she drinks a fruit smoothie naked......
He's objecting to that? Maybe she isn't his type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Default A menu of the finer things of life

I just got done with a decent Saturday breakfast of griddlecakes and coffee. For me, it is cheap and easy and it goes into what I learned decades ago; if you can cook, you can save a whole bunch of money.

Is that true, saving money? I suppose it is for I guess having the basic ingredients around is cheaper than the Bisquick, be it the famous or the store brand. Far cheaper than having "pancakes" in a box in the freezer. (I do occasionally have "Bisquick" in the pantry but it is a left over from camping trips; if I am not there, I would not subject my campers to things more complex than mix and cook)

Still, though, it rather amazes me how much I spend on food for a month for one person but a lot of is one or the other. The one being the perishable stuff such as fruits, veggies, and cheese. I should stay away from block cheese, except maybe for pizza, but feta & bleu tend to be prime components of my cooking. The other being the stockpile stuff such as dry goods. The one stuff gets eaten (or should); the other stuff is slow to consume, such as being used for griddlecakes.

I have a brother and I wonder how he eats for money seems to be a concern around his place. He has a teenager and I do not, so there is that part of the equation that I know nothing about. Is "take it or leave it" really that hard of a philosophy to enforce or do the kids really decide what the menus will be?

One might say that we have been conditioned to have our food prepared in cardboard boxes or even worse, have it all in take out. What would it take, though, for a large part of the population to realize that it is better, as in the cost, to cook it themselves?

I do understand that time may be a factor as well but having learned how to do scrambled eggs, I've started after a score to having something of a decent breakfast before going into my graveyard shift.

So, is it so much an issue?

Griddlecakes: .5 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, an egg (mix all that together) then a cup of flour, two tablespoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, .5 teaspoons of salt. Mix, put on a griddle (I grease mine with olive oil).

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
What? There is a blog section.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What? There is a blog section.
This isn't a blog.

This is asking questions about cooking where there are children in the house (take it or leave it), about what would it take to get people to realize that cooking for themselves is cheaper, and is cooking for one's self really that much cheaper.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Call me .... . I just harvested Tabasco peppers and my one itched. 'Nough said(((

Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Default Food/drink discounts on/around Veteran's Day

This was the most logical place to post this link.
Food/drink discounts on/around Veteran's Day.
Please read "Tips Before Heading Out" - prior to claiming Veterans status at your selected venue.

Listed various venues for discounts:

https://militarybenefits.info/vetera...ls-free-meals/

Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Call me .... . I just harvested Tabasco peppers and my one itched. 'Nough said(((
Call you what?

This is the first time I've peeked in here and now I see what you've all been up to. Tsk.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:24 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I just made some cranberry orange bread with oranges off my tree. I’ll tuck it away in the freezer for the holidays.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:37 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I just learned something new!!
As I said in What’s for dinner, I’m making cabbage rolls. I watched a video of Martha Stewart’s mother making them.

I have always cut the fat stiff stem completely out of the leaf, in a v shape, before rolling them. This makes it harder to cover the filling and make a neat roll.

What she did, is to just shave a layer of stem off the convex side of the leaf. Now, it rolls just as easily as the rest of the leaf. Who knew?

...or maybe I’m the last person on the planet to learn this?

Old 11-22-2017, 04:16 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Default I Know How To Cook A Turkey

I know it is ungracious, but this time of year certainly gives me a feeling of superiority about my ability to cook. A sort of guilty pleasure.

Sorry, guys who can't cook. Honest, I am not looking down on you because you can't figure out what to do with the frozen turkey. Really I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink