Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 04:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can see this when you know for a fact that someone has less-than-optimum sanitary habits. But my friend's sister declined an invitation to dinner just because I had cats. My friend said her sister said she just couldn't eat at my house knowing there were "filthy animals" there. She just assumed I let my cats roam over the kitchen counters or didn't clean or something. I wasn't insulted because she's a miserable human being who gets her enjoyment in life by criticizing and insulting everyone, and this way I knew I never had to feel obligated to invite her unpleasant ass again.

But it cracks me up that some people think they are so far above the rest of creation, so pristine, so different and SPECIAL. Let me tell you, your own body is rife with microbes and parasites. Look up "eyelash mites" sometime.

I had a friend who was one of these "I'm so special" germophobe princesses. We went to the aquarium with her son, where they had a touch tank. She was horrified at the idea that her son wanted to actually TOUCH these filthy creatures, but then she was relieved when she saw a hand-washing station near the wall. She brought her son up to the touch tank, where the woman in charge said,
"Before you touch the animals, you have to go wash your hands to prevent spreading any germs you may be carrying to them" and pointed over to the washing station. I laughed like hell.
That is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Wow OP, how dismissive and insulting! Tell the thoughtful giver what you do with their gifts and see if they ever bother again. Be honest and decline it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-13-2019 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 04:38 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I have 11 kids. Nothing gets thrown out!
OMG, bless you. Someone will like anything that comes in your door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I throw stuff out if I'm following a strict diet and my health depends on not having temptations around.
Why waste food? Throwing away food is a travesty. the smart thing to do would be to give it to someone who will appreciate it.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:40 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Ooooops, Foxy. Not the kind of replies you've hoped for?
Are you in a foxhole now?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:51 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OMG, bless you. Someone will like anything that comes in your door
Lol, that's the truth! The family joke about my oldest is that he will eat anything that can't outrun him. He's 33 now & when he stops in to visit he still walks in the door saying 'Hey Mom; you got anything I can munch on?'

We love food gifts & even leftovers here.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I'm always happy to get food that someone makes for me; it is a lot of time and effort on their part. If it is something that I don't care for or can't eat due to quantity, I will offer it to someone else.

I've only tossed food that someone made for me one time in my life, and it was food to go. I was at a friend-of-a-friend's home and she was cooking dinner. She was allowing the dog to lick the spoon (right after the dog had finished licking its arse) and the kitchen was just filthy with bugs crawling all over the place. I'm the farthest thing from a germaphobe but there was no flipping way I was going to eat that and certainly wasn't going to give it to someone else knowing where it came from ::

Old 11-13-2019, 04:54 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. It reminds me about the paranoia we instill in our children's mind: don't take a candy from a stranger!
Now, how often, if ever, a child was deliberately poisoned by a stranger? What's the odds?......

"Don't take candy from strangers" is not about a fear of poison in candy. It is about trying to protect children from being lured into cars with dangerous pedophiles. Pedophiles use candy and puppies and other irresistible treats to coax children into their possession.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just about the only gift food I won't eat is other people's canning. I've seen way too much scary unsafe stuff online in forums about cooking and canning. I'd have to know someone extremely well before I ate their home canned stuff, and they would have to be cooks who were fastidious about following directions and who owned a pressure canner.

I'm sure I've eaten enough assorted germs in my lifetime that my immune system can handle almost anything (except the botulism from improperly processed home canned food.)

Old 11-13-2019, 05:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just about the only gift food I won't eat is other people's canning. I've seen way too much scary unsafe stuff online in forums about cooking and canning. I'd have to know someone extremely well before I ate their home canned stuff, and they would have to be cooks who were fastidious about following directions and who owned a pressure canner.
You don't need a pressure canner to safely preserve high acid foods - fruit, pickled foods, tomatoes. You really don't want to use a pressure canner for fruit and pickled foods, anyway.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just about the only gift food I won't eat is other people's canning.
Lots of people in my little boonie town give home canned gifts. Like you I tend to be a bit leery. Kelp salsa and salmon are common. Conveniently, I can't stand either so politely decline or pass it on to someone else. Funny, someone once polled locals about the last remaining foods on their pantry shelves by the end of each winter. All that kelp salsa!! Not quite the coveted delicacy they hoped it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink