Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nobody wants sugary stuff, candy. Almost everyone I know would turn it down. They're either on a diet, or they are diabetic. But I don't see this peanut brittle, fudge, etc as real food; it has too much sugar in it to be healthy for human consumption.
Boy, when you're wrong, you're wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Gosh, I always super appreciate anything gifted that is home made. If I had a phobia against it I would make sure and let me friends know of my... quirk. The thought of throwing away something someone took the time and effort to make is kind of abhorrent.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2019, 08:58 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh, I always super appreciate anything gifted that is home made. If I had a phobia against it I would make sure and let me friends know of my... quirk. The thought of throwing away something someone took the time and effort to make is kind of abhorrent.
It's not a phobia.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not a phobia.
Call it pumpernickel if you like.

I stand by my statement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-14-2019, 10:35 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
YOU THROW OUT RICE KRISPY TREATS???????

I'll give you my address.
You can have all of mine.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
How would it be rude unless I tell them I tossed it out? How weird. No, it's not rude at all. It's mine so I can toss it if I want to. In the privacy of my home, I can do whatever I want.
OK, rude may not be the best word to use, but I still think people should appreciate the time and work that goes into home made gifts and if one doesn't want to eat them, at least re-gift them. As for sweets, like candy, they are part of the holiday season for most of the country, even those who are aware of the added calories and useless nutrition but I really doubt anyone is harmed by enjoying a piece of candy or a few cookies once in awhile.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:09 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not wanting to eat food that may have been walked on by cats is one thing, but even pot lucks,most of us know which homes are clean even if not spotless. I know when I attend a pot luck at someone's house or at church I usually know the people well enough to be able to judge how clean their kitchen is. I do not get all hung up over people being spotless about their kitchens and I doubt I have ever gotten sick from someone's somewhat dirty kitchen. Years ago we never worried about these things.

Years ago we didn't hear about salmonella, e-coli and other food borne illnesses. Now that we hear about them daily on the news it's a concern. I started washing my produce with an organic fruit & vegetable wash. Also when you attend a very big church you don't get to know everybody especially when there are four services on Sunday. The 11:30 a.m. people are probably never going to meet the 8:00 a.m. people except maybe at a potluck. If I don't know you I'm not eating anything you brought to a potluck.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we are all aware of this but most food poisoning comes from reasons other than a really dirty kitchen and most of us can pretty well judge what kind of a kitchen food comes from just by paying attention to the person. Of course we all know food poisoning often can come from restaurants as well.In fact more cases probably come from food purchased. If you choose not to take part in a pot luck for any reason that is your choice, I just think some people are a bit overly concerns about germs and spoiled foods.
I had a roommate once who looked very clean & fashionable. Meanwhile, she left the sheets on her bed for months at a time despite having a lot of overnight "guests". She only took a bath a few times a week and her hygiene habits were nauseating. I also worked with a woman who had a jewelry party and when I went into her bathroom I was shocked at how dirty it was. You would think if someone was expecting company they would at least clean the bathroom guests were going to use. Makes me wonder if some people are just oblivious. After seeing the way she kept house I would never eat anything she brought to work.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:26 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
When giving food gifts, knowing the recipient is key. I made curried mix nuts and gave them to our kids that love hot and spicy, but not to my MIL that thinks black pepper is too hot. The same will happen with the limoncello I’m making this year: the kids who drink will get it and my MIL who only likes an occasional glass of wine will get beautyberry jelly instead that she will enjoy.

I don’t give homemade food gifts to people I don’t know. I am also hesitant to eat anything made by people I don’t know well, office pot lucks were minefields. I have to admit I find fruitcake to be just awful, until we were given one by an old neighbors as a thank you gift. My first instinct was to toss it, but I knew it took her many days to make so we tried it. Oh my, I had never had one made with the quality ingredients and recipe she used, it was wonderful, a lesson was learned.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Call it pumpernickel if you like.

I stand by my statement.
So because someone doesn't feel the same way you do about it they must have something wrong with them? Nice to know. I've said in other threads that I've been known to eat nearly anything, but because I draw the line at eating some things I suspect may make me ill, I have a phobia? Okaaay. Just because someone spent time and effort making something doesn't magically make something acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink