Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think there is a big difference between throwing out something that smells spoiled or looks tainted, or even something you taste and genuinely don't like, and throwing out something that looks/smells fine just because you "don't know where it came from."
If something looks and smells OK, I'll taste it. If it doesn't look right or smells terrible to me, I'm not going to eat it. It may not be tainted, but no one wants to eat food that smells bad to them. I used to love curry, but now I don't want to be within a block of an Indian restaurant. The smell causes me to feel queasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 12:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I did one year. Family member sent us 36 bagels from some famous place. Massive load of empty calories from cheap white flour. Yuck. Ate a couple, froze them for a while, then out they went. I suspect it was a re-gift.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread makes me sad. I've had students bring me treats, church folks bring casseroles when I had surgery, neighbors drop by with homemade cookies when we moved into a new house. The idea of throwing the food out because I "didn't know where it came from" never crossed my mind. And it's all backwards that storebought food is now considered healthier than homemade food.

If I had allergies or a very sensitive digestive tract I would try to refuse the food graciously ("This looks wonderful, and I'm so sorry I won't be able to accept it because I have some difficult dietary restrictions") so that at least the giver could give it to someone else. Taking it and then throwing it in the trash, how awful.
When my husband had his stem-cell transplant (for leukemia, not these sketchy stem cell ortho procedures), the dietician spoke with us about home care. I asked him about the food people bring, as my friends had been doing a "meal train" for us, bringing meals about once a week. He said "it's something people can do". He also said to accept it as long as we knew it was prepared properly, and eat it within 3 days or else freeze it. I have, sadly, had to discard some food because it didn't all get eaten soon enough. I've gotten bags of salad that didn't get eaten right away. I would suggest for anyone bringing food to bring foods that can be frozen, and if you want to add a salad, put enough for one meal in a ziplock.

As for the bold, "storebought" food (doesn't it all come from stores initially anyway?) is prepared under conditions that have some regulations. I recall doing some research on an article on food safety for my church newsletter. One of the articles I read said many cases of "flu" over the holidays are actually food poisoning; and there have been deaths from church supper foods that were improperly prepared or not kept hot/cold enough while being served. I recall once at a church breakfast at my own church a woman washing dishes in cold water because the hot water had run out. I later thought, why didn't she heat some up on the stove?

Old 11-17-2019, 01:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
If it comes from a certain neighbor, it goes out without a second thought. The entire neighborhood feels the same way which is really pretty sad.

I have never, ever seen such a disgusting kitchen. Or smelled a more revolting house - think rancid cooking oil mixed with rotting fish. They aren't from a culture that cooks with unusual spices or anything like that. Just not clean people. I won't bore you with more details but let's just say that if their kitchen was in a public restaurant, they'd have been shut down long ago.

Other food gifts I'll keep, as long as they don't contain ingredients that I'm allergic to, like nuts. Those will get re-gifted to friends who know my situation.

I wish I could eat all the yummy holiday treats that are coming my way, especially things like sugared walnuts. Kills me to give them away.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
I am shocked that I am the only one who does this.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
You are not. In addition to concerns over cleanliness, some people cannot eat food prepared in someone else's home because of religious dietary restrictions (halal, kosher). No one wants to hurt someone else's feelings by not accepting a gift prepared with love and kindness. Sometimes, well-meaning people ask if certain ingredients are acceptable but don't understand that there's more to it than just using acceptable ingredients. Other times, even if you are able to ingest nuts or sugar or gluten, there might be another person in the home that cannot eat those things and might be tempted. I once got some chocolate for a gift and I left it on the kitchen table for myself for another time. Along came a family member, with health issues, who devoured that chocolate when I wasn't paying attention. I could never eat all of that chocolate in one sitting but others apparently could. Bottom line is don't give gifts of homemade food to acquaintances and save it for close family or friends. I think it depends on the relationship if you can easily decline the gift without hurt feelings or offense. Sometimes, you are better off just accepting it and if you can't give it to someone else, then just discard it.

Last edited by Coney; 11-17-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 11-18-2019, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
When my husband had his stem-cell transplant (for leukemia, not these sketchy stem cell ortho procedures), the dietician spoke with us about home care. I asked him about the food people bring, as my friends had been doing a "meal train" for us, bringing meals about once a week. He said "it's something people can do". He also said to accept it as long as we knew it was prepared properly, and eat it within 3 days or else freeze it. I have, sadly, had to discard some food because it didn't all get eaten soon enough. I've gotten bags of salad that didn't get eaten right away. I would suggest for anyone bringing food to bring foods that can be frozen, and if you want to add a salad, put enough for one meal in a ziplock.

As for the bold, "storebought" food (doesn't it all come from stores initially anyway?) is prepared under conditions that have some regulations. I recall doing some research on an article on food safety for my church newsletter. One of the articles I read said many cases of "flu" over the holidays are actually food poisoning; and there have been deaths from church supper foods that were improperly prepared or not kept hot/cold enough while being served. I recall once at a church breakfast at my own church a woman washing dishes in cold water because the hot water had run out. I later thought, why didn't she heat some up on the stove?
Interesting comments and all make good sense. Luckily our last 3 churches have had awesome kitchens with the very quick heating dish dryers so we don't worry about the cleanliness of our dishes.

I do believe some 24 hour flu as we used to call it, may have been food poisoning but not sure about that. It does make sense though. It is important when cooking our own food or receiving food from others that we eat it quickly or freeze it. I have been in charge of both our church kitchen in years past and have headed up the food train. We have also been on the other side when I had my knee replacement.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
There have been a few others on here that do exactly what you do, but mostly people do not worry so much about food gifts as the chances are rare that you would have anything to worry about and you do have to remember bad food can come from anywhere. If you can't brings yourself to eat food that people give you, do think of re-gifting it. You probably are realizing, from our comments you are in the minority. Being in the minority is not the worst thing in the world. I just think many of us do think your fear of food being bad is a phobia.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Has anyone ever had a little kid make you cookies or decorated a cupcake for you? The smiling parent tells you that Little Janie made you your favorite red velvet cupcakes and you feel compelled to taste it in front of the child. You know that when Little Janie was spreading the icing on that cupcake, she was licking her fingers after wiping away some snot.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Has anyone ever had a little kid make you cookies or decorated a cupcake for you? The smiling parent tells you that Little Janie made you your favorite red velvet cupcakes and you feel compelled to taste it in front of the child. You know that when Little Janie was spreading the icing on that cupcake, she was licking her fingers after wiping away some snot.
and you know what, none of us ever got sick from the experience. I will have to say, the thought is pretty gross though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink