Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 03:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times

Advertisements

She blogged about patience 3 years ago, maybe she should reread her work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Weird spellings of common names are a pet peeve of mine, especially when it's a change the person makes on their own, not on their birth certificate. But I digress....

I've been surprised by the number of people buying 25-lb. bags of flour (because they can't find 5-lb. bags) and desperately searching for yeast (although there are ways to make your own). I haven't read of any scarcities of bread, cookies, rolls or other flour-based products so there must be more people making their own. There must be some archetypal urge to bake that comes out in these times but I wonder what it's doing to people's waistlines. My flour supply, a partial 5-lb. bag, has been at the same level since I baked 2 King cakes for the church Mardi Gras in late February. I love to bake but it's just me and I don't need the calories. Sadly, I'm not sure when I'll ever have the opportunity to bake for the church coffee hour again, even after we open.

Anyway- if people shift permanently from the processed cookies, cakes, bread, etc. with unpronounceable ingredients to homemade, that's a good thing and the flour supply chain will shift (from industrial-size bags to smaller ones) over time.
Bread has been selling out where I live for sure. And bakeries and restaurants are selling flour and yeast and other baking supplies. I have definitely seen an explosion of yummy looking bread pictures in my social media feed. And few baking supplies of any kind.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
LOL the writer of the article is clearly wrong, but a lot of people in the comments section are scolding her for being white. Glad I don't frequent that site but it's pretty sad that people are still so racist in 2020.
Meh, it is because she is perfect representing the entitled white lady (aka Karen) trope right now. Down to having the right name.

Likes seriously, who on earth would be complaining they can't get the groceries they want right now and expect people to feel sympathy for her because she doesn't think they deserve to make homemade organic bread. I mean that is beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I didn't really think that it could be as bad as everyone said.

I was wrong.

And her other articles are worse.
I saw one called "why I am a pandemic hoarder." Hypocrite much?

Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wonder how people are storing their 25 pound bags of flour. A 5 pound bag lasts me a long time. I did give into the psychology of shortage buying and now there is one five pound bag in my freezer for when I finish my current flour canister. I don’t bake all that much, but would more if I couldn’t buy bread, of course.
I feel like I saw people doing flour shares lol. I do have a friend that has been making her own bread since I met her almost a decade ago. She doesn't buy bread period. She mixes up the flour depending on her mood.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:35 PM

82 posts, read 84,000 times
She's gonna wind up as famous as the Grape Lady on You Tube. I'm finding this everywhere!

Old 05-02-2020, 05:33 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I just clicked the link again, and it looks like she's deleted her account there.

Guess it got too hot in the kitchen.
Yep, sure enough. I just finished reading all of the [several hundred] comments which appeared to be universally incredulous and/or raking her over the coals, and when I hit the 'back' button I got the account deleted message. She doubled and tripled down in some of her responses to the comments, and that didn't go too well either.

Amazing.

Shelves around here were bare of flour, with the exception of one or two small bags of 'organic' wheat flour so I just went and ordered some direct from King Arthur- only took a few days to get here and I had a big box of 10lb bags on my porch...and it was *much* cheaper than what I usually pay in the grocery store...no charge for shipping either, and I didn't have to schlepp for it.

She was able to use a computer to write a misguided diatribe but didn't have the wits to just find a different source for what she wanted? Terribly short-sighted, in more ways than one. Will this be the end of her blogging 'career'? We can but hope...

Old 05-02-2020, 07:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
The bread snob pulled her entire website, but here is an archived page of her article for anyone who missed it:

https://archive.vn/ZXk7Q

Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 PM

82 posts, read 84,000 times
I wonder if anyone captured the replies that people left her?

Old 05-03-2020, 07:45 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wonder how people are storing their 25 pound bags of flour. A 5 pound bag lasts me a long time. I did give into the psychology of shortage buying and now there is one five pound bag in my freezer for when I finish my current flour canister. I don’t bake all that much, but would more if I couldn’t buy bread, of course.
It really does not take that long to use it. I have been baking since my early teens - breads, pretzels, bagels, crackers and the usual suspects of cookies, strudels, pies and cakes.
My oven accommodates three pull outs. So when I bake bread I bake three batches. One for us, one for the freezer, one for a neighbor or friend. That takes roughly nine cups in one setting.
When the ranges open again on May 15 I will need around 40 sweet cup cakes three times per month. Then add pasta ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink