Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2022, 06:45 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I have cooked Thanksgiving almost every year for 50+ years. It looks like none of the kids are coming this year, and hubby can’t travel this year because of the hip, so I’m planning on getting carry out Thanksgiving from Cracker Barrel. I feel relieved.

There, I’ve said it.

Anyone else freeing themselves from a bit of holiday work this year?

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-12-2022 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 07:06 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have cooked Thanksgiving almost every year for 50+ years. It looks like none of the kids are coming this year, and hubby can’t travel this year because of the hip, so I’m planning on getting carry out Thanksgiving from Cracker Barrel. I feel relieved.

There, I’ve said it.

Anyone else freeing themselves from a bit of holiday work this year?
One year Hubs and I took my mother to Marie Callendars on Thanksgiving (because everyone was spread out all over.)
My mother said (I'm paraphrasing) Wow. this is nice. no cooking, no clean up.
So, we've gone out for Thanksgiving here and there over the years. Trapp Family Lodge had a T-giving dinner one year, as have other places. Lately, I make it easy. Turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, and some roasted veggies. Hubs knows if he wants anything else, he's cooking it.
One year when I had to work, I made this huge dinner for him before I left and he said, God, it was enough food to feed 15 people. I did dishes the whole time you were gone. don't ever do that again And I didn't.

Enjoy the respite.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:14 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Eating out for T-Day makes it much, much easier on the chef for sure!

When it's just the two of us, I sometimes make a pared down T-Day dinner because we both love the left-overs so much.

The simple meal is turkey breast, dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy and some roasted vegetables. That way we can have hot turkey sandwiches for a few days afterward.

And depending, a pumpkin or pecan or lemon meringue pie...

Old 10-12-2022, 07:17 AM

Yup. I have no problem, and will even enjoy, making a pie the day before, and maybe a side dish, but that’s it. The only thing I’m going to miss is yankee stuffing, because down here it’s all cornbread stuffing.

I tried to get a reservation at one of the fancy places in town, but they are already booked, so I’d rather be home.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-12-2022 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-12-2022, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That sounds wonderful. I too have been cooking for 12-18 family since about 1986, because we have always had the biggest house to fit them all in. By the time we have dessert I'm exhausted, and end up just resting the day after. The nearest Cracker Barrel to us, however, is about 200 miles away in Oregon. Our numbers will be a bit less this year, with my Mom unable to make the trip at age 93, and my son's fiancée having to work that day (nurse). I'd lobe to at least buy the desserts and maybe the rolls, but there would be a revolt, because they love mine so much.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:01 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Eating out for T-Day makes it much, much easier on the chef for sure!

When it's just the two of us, I sometimes make a pared down T-Day dinner because we both love the left-overs so much.

The simple meal is turkey breast, dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy and some roasted vegetables. That way we can have hot turkey sandwiches for a few days afterward.

And depending, a pumpkin or pecan or lemon meringue pie...
Some supermarkets in CA used to offer a whole pre-made dinner. Pick up and bring home. I did this several times. Also a good idea. Easy.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:14 AM

2,342 posts, read 614,301 times
Last year we went to daughter's house in TN and paid for another daughter and her fiancé to fly in for T-day - One of daughter 1 - roommate was gluten free, so was very careful in what I made.

This year, I am hoping to have all my grandchildren for Thanksgiving this year in our new Beach House. Will do all their favorites if that does happen.

Usually, now that we are empty nesters, we do Cornish hens and small sides for just the two of us. Don't like a lot of leftovers.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
Last year we went to daughter's house in TN and paid for another daughter and her fiancé to fly in for T-day - One of daughter 1 - roommate was gluten free, so was very careful in what I made.

This year, I am hoping to have all my grandchildren for Thanksgiving this year in our new Beach House. Will do all their favorites if that does happen.

Usually, now that we are empty nesters, we do Cornish hens and small sides for just the two of us. Don't like a lot of leftovers.
That sounds great. We do like the leftovers, though. The day after TG is my favorite. All the good stuff with done of the work.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Some supermarkets in CA used to offer a whole pre-made dinner. Pick up and bring home. I did this several times. Also a good idea. Easy.
Publix has this near us.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:35 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I will make the "Honey we shrank Thanksgiving" version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink