Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2023, 02:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

I bet there's going to be a lot of varied takes on this. For me, I avoid foods cooked in a microwave. I know microwaves have been around for 40+ years now, but I'm not convinced it's harmless and I feel like it takes the 'energy' out of food. I won't even boil water in one. Hard to avoid when you dine at restaurants, and I can usually tell if it's been zapped after being cooked because all the food is just way too hot. I've had a couple of instances at restaurants where they mention on the menu that the kitchen does not have a microwave (not related to pacemakers, but rather that the food is cooked slowly and traditionally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 08:36 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I bet there's going to be a lot of varied takes on this. For me, I avoid foods cooked in a microwave. I know microwaves have been around for 40+ years now, but I'm not convinced it's harmless and I feel like it takes the 'energy' out of food. I won't even boil water in one. Hard to avoid when you dine at restaurants, and I can usually tell if it's been zapped after being cooked because all the food is just way too hot. I've had a couple of instances at restaurants where they mention on the menu that the kitchen does not have a microwave (not related to pacemakers, but rather that the food is cooked slowly and traditionally).
It doesn't matter to me what you do. I'm not going to turn on the oven when it's in the 90s. I'm not going to boil water on the stove when it's in the 90s and humid with a high dew point.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I've read books that discuss the nutritional value of fresh produce versus produce grown and shipped. In my own way I give thanks to the food I grow in my garden, and based upon what I have read, it is more nutritionally dense than anything I buy in the store.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-20-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've read books that discuss the nutritional value of fresh produce versus produce grown and shipped. In my own way I give thanks to the food I grow in my garden, and based upon what I have read, it is more nutritionally dense than anything I buy in the store.
I always make sure that I grow enough tomatoes for daily, weekly use. I can't buy that taste.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:44 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I always make sure that I grow enough tomatoes for daily, weekly use. I can't buy that taste.
Last year I planted a slice of a tomato that I bought in our local farmer's market, and had lovely tomatoes all that summer and fall. I think I ended up with 8 plants - all grown indoors. This year I didn't bother and know I'll be sorry, especially when the farmer's market quits next month. You're right. You can't buy that taste, although Campari tomatoes come pretty close. I can buy them by the punnet in our local supermarket.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:20 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I ate too many calories these past two or three days. That is all I have to say. I have not expended that energy, so my belly is getting fatter.

I need to starve myself for two months to make up for all the cheat days.
You don't ever need to starve yourself. Your body needs nourishment today no matter what you ate yesterday.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Last year I planted a slice of a tomato that I bought in our local farmer's market, and had lovely tomatoes all that summer and fall. I think I ended up with 8 plants - all grown indoors. This year I didn't bother and know I'll be sorry, especially when the farmer's market quits next month. You're right. You can't buy that taste, although Campari tomatoes come pretty close. I can buy them by the punnet in our local supermarket.
Yes, Campari tomatoes are the best that can be found at the market.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Yes! Compari tomatoes are the closest in flavor to my home grown, which since i moved to the coast, I can't grow anymore. I just wish they were bigger.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:08 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wait, you grew tomatoes from just a slice of a tomato? How does that happen? I would think that it would just rot and die off? It would most likely for me I’m pretty sure. Was it in a pot/container or ground? If you’re not a YouTuber for gardening, you should be …. Or a magician.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:50 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Wait, you grew tomatoes from just a slice of a tomato? How does that happen? I would think that it would just rot and die off? It would most likely for me I’m pretty sure. Was it in a pot/container or ground? If you’re not a YouTuber for gardening, you should be …. Or a magician.
Read about this somewhere. A little bit of dirt is involved. This year, we got surprise tomatoes from compost heap dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink