Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

My brother has a sister-in-law who is really into animal rescue. After she spent TWO HOURS recently listening to her concerning her shelter, I asked her for a donation to my favorite charity - a rescue facility for amputee chickens (wingless chickens).

She reached into her purse and gave me $10.

WOW! I gave her sister the $10 back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If people can't laugh at themselves, all is lost.
how true your posting is, I would also hope no one takes offense. One of my favorite forums here (I won't mention which one) sometimes has posts that attack my views but are so funny I have to rep the person.

Nita

Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Default how do they get away with this?

It's become evident that the products put out by our food industry are pretty much responsible for the huge health problems that have cropped up in the last 30 to 40 years.

We of course have the choice of whether or not to put those products in our bodies, but until very recently, the information about what they are doing to us was not readily available. It's still barely mainstream.

Many products are created to stoke further cravings and consumption, thereby increasing your purchasing of the same bad products.

Sugar (in lab rat studies) has been shown to be more addictive than cocaine. We've gone from eating 10 pounds of it a year (100 years ago) to half a pound a day.

We eat calorie dense foods that are nutrient poor.

How has this been allowed to go on for so long? Why is the education not more readily available? Where is the outrage?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I've been wondering this too.. unfortunately, it wasn't until I lived in Europe for a while did I have a wake-up call (see my other thread in this forum.)

People have not been educated enough about healthy eating habits. Many people will prefer a $1 twinkie to a $1 apple.. it's just sad..

I'm generally in favor of less regulation in general but I think when it comes to food, a bit more would be beneficial to society. Many companies these days will sell all this 'junk food' (for the lack of a better word) if people will get addicted and continue buying them (does this sound like 'drugs'?).

Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've been wondering this too.. unfortunately, it wasn't until I lived in Europe for a while did I have a wake-up call (see my other thread in this forum.)

People have not been educated enough about healthy eating habits. Many people will prefer a $1 twinkie to a $1 apple.. it's just sad..

I'm generally in favor of less regulation in general but I think when it comes to food, a bit more would be beneficial to society. Many companies these days will sell all this 'junk food' (for the lack of a better word) if people will get addicted and continue buying them (does this sound like 'drugs'?).
It's EXACTLY like 'drugs,' and it's driving health care costs completely out of control.
We're going to see life expectancy swing back DOWN for the first time in centuries, and it ain't our 'sedentary lifestyles' that is causing it.

It's completely socially irresponsible to market and sell these products. It's blowing my mind.

I am conservative and I believe in a free market, but I also believe in truth in advertising, responsible production and disclosure...really giving someone a CHOICE means you have to inform them of what they are choosing.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's EXACTLY like 'drugs,' and it's driving health care costs completely out of control.
We're going to see life expectancy swing back DOWN for the first time in centuries, and it ain't our 'sedentary lifestyles' that is causing it.

It's completely socially irresponsible to market and sell these products. It's blowing my mind.

I am conservative and I believe in a free market, but I also believe in truth in advertising, responsible production and disclosure...really giving someone a CHOICE means you have to inform them of what they are choosing.
Big Food contributes a lot of big money at election time.
Just sayin'.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Some of your questions are answered here:
The Regulation of GMOs in Europe and the United States: A Case-Study of Contemporary European Regulatory Politics - Council on Foreign Relations

Lately many more Americans have become interested in healthy eating. Concerns about food safety have definitely increased, and for good reasons. And yet, there is growing evidence that Americans are getting fed up with dieting and weight loss. Finding themselves ceaselessly barraged with often contradictory information and expert advice, people become less enlightened and instead more confused and helpless. Others feel increasingly resentful about being lectured on what they see as their private business. Lots of consumers actually don't care about nutrition as they care about taste. Sweet, fried is still yummy, and wanted.
When Congress passed the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1993 (NLEA), the intent was to increase consumers' awareness of food. But a study found that intent has not stopped neither companies from making unhealthy food nor Americans from eating such fare.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I agree ... With all the chemicals and processing in our foods, it is so difficult for one to eat pure, healthy foods. Even our produce has chemicals and our meats are full of steroids and other crap ...

Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
My review of the "Cheesecake Factory"---yuck. The cheesecake tasted too light and airy to be real "cheesecake", it was like cheesecake "fluff". Nasty. I also had a horrible plate of pasta with no sauce, it was supposed to be "meat" sauce. They threw some tasteless ground meat on pasta, I would have rather had "Chef Boy R Dee".

Over priced, over hyped. No thanks. Why do people keep going there?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Default Boss Bacon Burger

Note, a little bit of bad language. And some 'bird's. I thought it was hilarious, though. Especially the end, it just kind of goes surreal.

Boss Bacon Burger - Epic Meal Time - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink