Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I agree. This morning I had an egg white scramble, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, huge bowl of food, 250 calories.

In comparison to the one the run breakfast I had the other day, from Starbucks, a slice of pumpkin bread, 350 calories.

I am more full with the eggs and vegetable breakfast, than the pumpkin bread. And, the pumpkin bread was more calories, less food.

All things being equal, I would rather have a big bowl of vegetables, and tuna, than a Big Mac from Micky D's.And, I think the salad would still have less calories.
Which of your breakfasts tasted better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Which of your breakfasts tasted better?
Honestly, it was the big bowl of eggs, hot and fresh, with veggies. The spicy salsa, was perfect.

The pumpkin bread slice was stale, cold, and just tasteless. But, I am sure a thick slab of homemade pumpkin bread would have been better.

I don't bake any more. I love fresh pumpkin bread. I am sure I would have eaten a whole loaf. Portion control is a problem for me.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
In my opinion, this is a gross oversimplification that does far more harm than good and that has very little practical application in the real world. Hunger and cravings don't occur in a vacuum. What you eat directly determines how hungry you feel and how much energy you expend later.

500 calories of X makes you feel full for 5 hours, takes a long time to digest, and provides steady energy.
500 calories of Y makes you still feel hungry, or even makes you hungrier than you were to start with, and causes an insulin spike that makes you tired

If you eat Y, you'll end up eating more calories and burning less than if you had eaten X. One is far more likely to lead to weight gain even though they have the same number of calories.

The reason we have so much obesity is not because people stopped counting calories decades ago, they never did do that. What changed is that they started eating foods that were high in calories, but digest quickly, and that do not sufficiently curb hunger. This is the cause of the obesity epidemic, not people eating too many calories of chicken and broccoli. Go ahead and try to eat 3,000 calories of grilled chicken and steamed broccoli in a day, it will be a massive fail. Now try to do the same with potato chips and Koolaid- that's easy.
of course he was generalizing but his point is still: the number of calories is the secret. Yes, some calories fill you up and keep you full longer, but it is still the number you intake in the end. Plus his point pretty much is or was, (he is probably dead or retired by now) there is no one diet that works for everyone. Cutting your intake is still the secret.

For many the atkins diet works, I am one that likes it because I happen to love most of what it on it, but it isn't for everyone.

And as far as I am concerned, your theory is just that, same as mine, is just mine, but what we are eating isn't as damaging as our lack of exercise. Everything we do today is programmed, from house work to remote contolled TV, we spend hours on the computer, whether at home of working, even when it comes to offiice work, we don't burn the calories we used to...

There are studies done every day that will prove what you say is right, what I say is right or what Mr Smith says is right...and you know what, 2 years from now those studies will change!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
I agree. This morning I had an egg white scramble, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, huge bowl of food, 250 calories.

In comparison to the one the run breakfast I had the other day, from Starbucks, a slice of pumpkin bread, 350 calories.

I am more full with the eggs and vegetable breakfast, than the pumpkin bread. And, the pumpkin bread was more calories, less food.

All things being equal, I would rather have a big bowl of vegetables, and tuna, than a Big Mac from Micky D's.And, I think the salad would still have less calories.
That makes perfect sense... because protein is more filling than carbs. Carbs will make you feel full for a short time and then you're hungry again. Protein has a longer-lasting fill factor.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Ugh I LOVE scrambles with fresh vegetables, but dishes like this only need very small portions. How do you keep the left over tomatoes and peppers fresh? Scrambles only need maybe a quarter of a pepper and a quarter of a tomato. How do you keep from throwing them away?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
The Chinese buffet here is run by Vietnamese with Mexican cooks. But the food is good.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, a lot of this probably has to do with most Chinese food restaurants in the US being a very radical version of actual Chinese food fitted for a fast bucks, fast food ethos. Probably still a lot better for you than a lot of other fast foods out there though.

If you're in southeast pennsylvania, then I will tell you that there are some pretty great places in Philadelphia which do that sort of thing. Actually, what I'd recommend most is eating pho (vietnamese soup noodles with an incredible aromatic broth) in parts of south philly or chinatown or other parts. Philadelphia has surprisingly amazing pho.
I looooove pho.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
I don't think I've ever gotten won ton soup, because my favorite is egg drop. Lots of flavor there!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Well.. There is no real Chinese food restaurants where I live and i'm not so sure they even exsist except for places like china town..

We and most American "Chinese" food places are actually Cantonese.
Not sure really where that food falls into a category.. I always took it to mean American palate Chinese food..

Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I live in SE PA and have eaten at a whole lot of Chinese Food Establishments.....
for the very first time in years, and I do mean a whole lot of years, I found a Chinese Restaurant who actually makes the broth for they're won ton soup flavorful....
Geeze Louise, why can't other Chinese do this, normally there is no flavor to the broth what-so-ever and it tastes like dishwater....
Do tell - where would this place be? (We're in Wilmington, a hop, skip and a jump from SE PA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink