Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We finally made it buy a Trader Joes yesterday and gave it a walk through. Not prepared to transport frozen the distance we had to travel home we had to pass on the Asian fare but did pick up some interesting salsas. Pineapple and mango. Snagged a jar of almond butter too. I'm going to make some snack crackers using whole wheat saltines with the almond butter and peach jalapeno jam. One other find was a new hybrid fruit that is a cross between a plum and a cherry. Makes me think about planting such a tree as the golf ball size fruit is quite tasty. I have to give them kudos for the speed at which they get people through their checkout lines. And the store was remarkably fresh and clean through out.
they are amazing with how well the staff is trained. Actually Aldi's is about the same as for their employees being trained and also well informed. I have gotten to the place where I have to depend on Fresh Market for my specialty items because we do not have T.Js here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
I'm going to plant some seed from the Cherry Plums in reusable tree pots I've saved from Stark Brothers. Nothing to loose. They should pollinate with either the sweet cherry or the plum trees I have. Who knows maybe they will cure old age.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We finally made it buy a Trader Joes yesterday and gave it a walk through. Not prepared to transport frozen the distance we had to travel home we had to pass on the Asian fare but did pick up some interesting salsas. Pineapple and mango. Snagged a jar of almond butter too. I'm going to make some snack crackers using whole wheat saltines with the almond butter and peach jalapeno jam. One other find was a new hybrid fruit that is a cross between a plum and a cherry. Makes me think about planting such a tree as the golf ball size fruit is quite tasty. I have to give them kudos for the speed at which they get people through their checkout lines. And the store was remarkably fresh and clean through out.
I am totally addicted to cherry plums! I've only seen them in one store so far, the super fancy market that has 6-7 varieties of plums right now.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I am totally addicted to cherry plums! I've only seen them in one store so far, the super fancy market that has 6-7 varieties of plums right now.
I could graze them from sunrise to sunset.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:43 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
oh yes I remember those..love em...just gotta be careful not to eat too many at once...will go right thru you...

Old 08-04-2018, 09:19 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Just for fun, if there was a World Cup, but for a country's food. If I can't decide between two countries I will just roll a dice lol

Group A - Easy wins for the Middle Eastern teams. Egypt wins the group on the roll of the dice...let's say Goal Difference, lol
1. Egypt
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Uruguay
4. Russia

Group B - Pretty evenly matched teams, with no real standouts. Highly regarded Spain crashed out against Iran on Goal Difference. Morocco slightly better than the rest of the teams thanks to couscous
1. Morocco
2. Iran
3. Spain
4. Portugal

Group C - A stacked group with two culinary powerhouses France and Peru. Poor Denmark and Australia never had a chance
1. Peru
2. France
3. Australia
4. Denmark

Group D - Pretty weak group with no standouts. Croatia, Nigeria, Argentina tied, with the first two advancing on Goal Difference. The group essentially came down to who could beat Iceland by more goals. Iceland finished as one of the worst teams in the entire tournament
1. Croatia
2. Nigeria
3. Argentina
4. Iceland

Group E - Comfy first place for Brazil. Costa Rica finished ahead of Serbia on Goal Difference
1. Brazil
2. Costa Rica
3. Serbia
4. Switzerland

Group F - Another group full of powerhouses. Sweden with its surstromming and pickled herring never really had a chance against bulgogi or tacos al pastor
1. Mexico
2. South Korea
3. Germany
4. Sweden

Group G - Easy win for Tunisia. Panama ends up beating Belgium based on Fair Play points, since the sides were just so evenly matched
1. Tunisia
2. Panama
3. Belgium
4. England

Group J - Japan obliterated the rest of the group. Come on, no one can really compete with sushi or okonomiyaki
1. Japan
2. Colombia
3. Poland
4. Senegal

Round of 16 Surprisingly drama free, also had some really lopsided matches like Japan vs Panama or Mexico vs Costa Rica

Egypt 1 - 0 Iran

Peru 6 - 1 Nigeria

Brazil 2 - 4 South Korea

Tunisia 2 - 0 Colombia

Morocco 2 - 1 Saudi Arabia

Croatia 2 - 5 France

Mexico 8 - 0 Costa Rica

Japan 10 - 1 Panama

Quarter-Finals All pretty close matches aside from Korea vs Tunisia. Mexico vs Japan was the matchup of the round, since they put two of the world's best cuisines against each other. Japan barely won against Mexico

Egypt 3 - 4 Peru

South Korea 4 - 1 Tunisia

Morocco 0 - 1 France

Mexico 1 - 1 Japan (Japan wins penalty shootout)

Semi-Finals Peru won a tight thriller against Korea. Japan beat France relatively stress-free compared to their last match

Peru 5 - 4 South Korea

France 1 - 3 Japan

Third Place Playoff

South Korea 2 - 1 France

Final As is the case for many Finals, this one is a boring defensive 0-0 draw, where Japan gets a player sent off for a headbutt, and Peru gets a player sent off for kicking someone in the chest. In the end, Peru wins 2018 World Cup of Food on penalties!

Peru 0 - 0 Japan (Peru wins penalty shootout)

Old 08-14-2018, 07:47 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A friend is driving down to FL, and might stop for the night if he can drive that far. What to make for dinner? Pork tenderloin, spuds and a veg. probably.

So, I’m knocking myself out with just a few hours notice, and if he doesn’t come I’ll be pissed.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A friend is driving down to FL, and might stop for the night if he can drive that far. What to make for dinner? Pork tenderloin, spuds and a veg. probably.

So, I’m knocking myself out with just a few hours notice, and if he doesn’t come I’ll be pissed.
Yay, he came, and we had a nice visit. The dinner was good and we got caught up on the old hometown news.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yay, he came, and we had a nice visit. The dinner was good and we got caught up on the old hometown news.
glad you had a nice visit. It is always so much fun to catch up on old times.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM

I need the rain to stay away tomorrow. I've got two beautiful slabs of salmon that need smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink