U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 01:41 PM

34,009 posts, read 21,585,888 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call it a fad, it has been around for decades (I looked it up so correction: since the 1980s)

I'm not a huge fan of mochi, but I like mochi ice cream, and I can see if you are not used to eating mochi, then this would seem weird.

Like any ice cream though, a lot will depend on the quality of the brand/ingredients.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 03:18 PM

1,078 posts, read 249,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
So....I finally tried this stuff.....A N D....I gotta say, I was kinda disappointed. They say they are marketed for the millenial......& they are so popular......but count me as a millenial that probably won't be buying them again. The stuff on the outside is super weird......it tricks you into thinking it is powdered sugar.... A N D.....the mochi coating is kinda blah............

What flavor is your favorite.....if you like them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
IMO just another food fad. For that matter most of the ice creams loaded with odd, waxy bits of faux chocolate and fake caramel are not worth it either.

It's not a "fad." It's been around for awhile and was created by the Japanese; a Japanese-American woman to be exact. Mochi ice cream is a dessert made from Japanese mochi, with an ice cream filling. It has nothing to do with millennials. What made it become more popular in the more recent years is having it as an option for dessert at sushi and hibachi restaurants. Japanese and most Asian desserts are not as sweet as most American and European desserts. This is because Asians do not care of extremely sweet desserts. A lot of them deem our brownies, cakes, and most cookies as over-sweetened and loaded with a lot of sugar.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinetwelve29 View Post
I've tried it at the request of my 15 and 21 yo. They like those Mochi ice cream ball things but it's a no for me. I found the texture off-putting,kind of spongy and squishy like. It just had a weird mouth feel to me. I found them kind of "blah" too.

Yup, that's because Asians like spongy/sticky desserts.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM

2,768 posts, read 645,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
It's not a "fad." It's been around for awhile and was created by the Japanese; a Japanese-American woman to be exact. Mochi ice cream is a dessert made from Japanese mochi, with an ice cream filling. It has nothing to do with millennials. What made it become more popular in the more recent years is having it as an option for dessert at sushi and hibachi restaurants. Japanese and most Asian desserts are not as sweet as most American and European desserts. This is because Asians do not care of extremely sweet desserts. A lot of them deem our brownies, cakes, and most cookies as over-sweetened and loaded with a lot of sugar.

It can be still be a fad all over You Tube & social media now.......even tho it existed before, it wasn't popular here. The head of the company Mi/Mo said himself it's been marketed toward millenials.........& they are coming out with a new triple layer type & other frozen treats to keep up with the explosion of popularity it has. You couldn't hardly buy it anywhere before......now he said it's all over...........

Camouflage has been around forever too........but that doesn't change it's been a fad in the last couple of yrs.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It can be still be a fad all over You Tube & social media now.......even tho it existed before, it wasn't popular here. The head of the company Mi/Mo said himself it's been marketed toward millenials.........& they are coming out with a new triple layer type & other frozen treats to keep up with the explosion of popularity it has. You couldn't hardly buy it anywhere before......now he said it's all over...........

Camouflage has been around forever too........but that doesn't change it's been a fad in the last couple of yrs.

Eh, still wouldn't call it a fad. If anything, it just got more popular. People aren't going out of their way for it. And even if the marketing scheme was to target millennials, doesn't mean we (I'm 31 so I'm a millennial myself)are sole buyers of said product.

Sure, the increased popularity of sushi bars and hibachi definitely helped, as well as younger generations being more open towards ethnic foods, but food was evolving before marketing companies could even target us. America has grown a lot more in terms of being a melting pot. Therefore, "new" foods are hitting the scene. We are expanding our pallets because we have the ability to do so now, especially with social media and technology.

As for camouflage, it never really went anywhere. Some years it was more popular than others. I had a pair of fatigues in high school, and I graduated back in 2006.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:50 PM

2,768 posts, read 645,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Eh, still wouldn't call it a fad. If anything, it just got more popular. People aren't going out of their way for it. And even if the marketing scheme was to target millennials, doesn't mean we (I'm 31 so I'm a millennial myself)are sole buyers of said product.

It wasn't available here before as a frozen ice cream treat tho....& nobody has to to go out of their way because you can now get it at Target or Walmart. Mi/Mo has said they are marketing it toward millennials....not that that is the only people that can buy it.

The only reason I know what it is tho & wanted to try one...is because of my friends that are also millenials & other You Tubers.......because of the "fad" or popularity craze it has right now.........I have never seen or heard a commercial for it. It's all social media.......

Old 02-03-2020, 04:43 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,928,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
IMO just another food fad. For that matter most of the ice creams loaded with odd, waxy bits of faux chocolate and fake caramel are not worth it either.

It's far from a fad. Mochi have been around for quite awhile. The Japanese have had this dessert in one iteration or another for centuries. While using ice cream as a filling is fairly recent, the idea is not. Also, if the mochi ice cream you're eating is how you describe, I would suggest searching out better quality because you're apparently getting the bottom of the barrel.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:03 PM

1,871 posts, read 558,783 times
The powder (corn starch) isn't meant to be sweet. It's meant to keep the coating, which is made of sticky rice (hence why it has little flavor) from sticking to your fingers.

I love mochi. I love mochi ice cream. You don't. All people are different. Isn't it interesting when we're not all the same?

Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 PM

7,753 posts, read 4,303,934 times
Never heard of it. I don't plan on trying it. I'm a vanilla kinda gal. And cherry. Cherry vanilla is pretty good. Homemade vanilla by BlueBell. Strawberry & vanilla is also good. I don't eat enough ice cream to try many flavors. I eat it maybe 2 or 3 times a year because I have to watch my weight. If it weren't for that, I'd eat it every day.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM

13,899 posts, read 15,899,709 times
I buy them at a Trader Joe’s and like the following flavors:: green tea, strawberry, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and mango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or