Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 09:46 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

I notice my cravings are all over the place when I'm sick. When I was sick at the airport once, all I wanted were Berry Skittles. I don't know why. I've been sick the last few days and my diet has ranged from Chicken soup and Chicken rice porridge to cheese and crackers to ice-cream. And now I'm craving pizza. I normally don't eat any of these things. I'm going to the store later and can't decide what to get. I don't like frozen pizza so if I had to get pizza, I'd go to a pizza place but I'd rather cook. I might make more rice porridge but I'm getting tired of soupy things. Looking to get some ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 09:50 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
If I feel like eating, I want carbs. I usually want something like mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. Comfort food. I also like some kind of cola, especially if I have a sore throat or an upset stomach.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:56 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Yep, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, garlicky chicken noodle soup, cream of wheat are all good. I sometimes crave oranges. Jello or ice cream if I'm feverish. Ginger ale and hot toddies.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
If I’m sick I usually don’t feel hungry, though I still eat unless it is a digestive illness.

The only craving I ever had when ill consumed me so intensively I don’t know what would have happened if the thing I craved had not been in the house. I had influenza, a severe case of it. One night while lying on the couch in fever, I kept getting more feverish and began checking my oral temp every few minutes. It rose amazingly fast, and I began feeling like I was going to become delirious or pass out. Never had had the flu get that bad before.

101, 101.x, 102.x, 103...somewhere around this point I had a vision and intense craving with one thought only: TANGERINE. Eat TANGERINE! I told my now-husband to bring me the tangerine I had bought a week or so earlier. That the fever was rising so fast I might go into a coma. I ate it and within literally moments began feeling better. I kept checking my temp and sure enough, it kept steadily dropping long after I had finished every atom of that tangerine (OK, not the peel). It felt like a miracle, truly, and I will never forget it.

Pay heed to unusual cravings, at least ones for genuinely healthful whole foods.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:03 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If I’m sick I usually don’t feel hungry, though I still eat unless it is a digestive illness.

The only craving I ever had when ill consumed me so intensively I don’t know what would have happened if the thing I craved had not been in the house. I had influenza, a severe case of it. One night while lying on the couch in fever, I kept getting more feverish and began checking my oral temp every few minutes. It rose amazingly fast, and I began feeling like I was going to become delirious or pass out. Never had had the flu get that bad before.

101, 101.x, 102.x, 103...somewhere around this point I had a vision and intense craving with one thought only: TANGERINE. Eat TANGERINE! I told my now-husband to bring me the tangerine I had bought a week or so earlier. That the fever was rising so fast I might go into a coma. I ate it and within literally moments began feeling better. I kept checking my temp and sure enough, it kept steadily dropping long after I had finished every atom of that tangerine (OK, not the peel). It felt like a miracle, truly, and I will never forget it.

Pay heed to unusual cravings, at least ones for genuinely healthful whole foods.
That is really odd about the tangerine. Never heard that one before.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:04 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
About the only things I feel like eating when I'm sick are grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken noodle or tomato soup with lots of crackers, and 7 Up.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:55 AM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Homemade soup. Usually smoked pork udon which is broth based.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Chicken broth, tea (hot and iced), water and sometimes popsicles.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 AM

126,273 posts, read 19,045,264 times
If I am sick I prefer clear soups,Chamomile tea and Zwieback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwieback

Old 02-07-2020, 11:10 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Ginger ale, coffee, tea no food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink