U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM

21,857 posts, read 31,916,210 times

Advertisements

To those who say duck is greasy, not at all if prepared properly. A baking sheet with a wire rack is the best method. Just pierce several holes in the breast meat with a knife or fork for the fat to ooze out, and roast breast side up in the oven (I do 425 degrees for the crispiness). All the drippings (liquid gold) wind up in the pan and can be poured off into a container for use later on for roasting some fantastic potatoes for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 10:25 AM

14,377 posts, read 265,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Can I come over for the leftovers. I'll just wait in the garage. I promise I'll be real good.
Sorry - I was there first:>)

Old 02-09-2020, 11:31 AM

4,369 posts, read 1,970,002 times
I'd go for something light and acidic to contrast the rich, fatty duck.
Asparagus with a spritz of lemon, mmm. I like the idea of wild and brown rice, that would be a nice contrasting texture.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 27,790,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To those who say duck is greasy, not at all if prepared properly. A baking sheet with a wire rack is the best method. Just pierce several holes in the breast meat with a knife or fork for the fat to ooze out, and roast breast side up in the oven (I do 425 degrees for the crispiness). All the drippings (liquid gold) wind up in the pan and can be poured off into a container for use later on for roasting some fantastic potatoes for example.

OhmygodI'mdrooling.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 PM

38,883 posts, read 47,793,174 times
I have never had duck, or cooked duck, but I will be soon.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:42 PM

12,074 posts, read 6,561,996 times
Although I've never had that, I'm imagining red potatoes. My other half bought a package of microwaveable small-ish red potatoes. Enjoyed it with our roast beef but can not speak with regard to duck, but I might try it some day. Easy squish down with a fork, added butter and crushed peppercorn, maybe sour cream on the side?

Old 02-11-2020, 06:25 PM

17,579 posts, read 17,606,088 times
I will broil a duck and eat that baby bare-nekkid.

One of my favorite meals is a ducks distant grandcousin, broiled chicken.......a lot cheaper
than duck.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:56 PM

40,995 posts, read 15,775,283 times
57 posts! You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'll try to remember to take some photos of my fabulous duck dinner on Saturday so I can share them with you all soon thereafter.

Decisions, decisions!

I was leaning toward roasted fingerling potatoes, but the idea of spaetzle and red cabbage sounds fantastic. My boyfriend loves German food, and so do I. I agree that the acidic cabbage would be a nice pairing with the duck. We usually go light on carbs, but this meal calls for a bit of a cheat so I'm definitely going to include a starch. Spaetzle is soooo yummy.

Thank goodness I still have a few days to make a final decision.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-11-2020 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-13-2020, 12:03 AM

27,079 posts, read 25,681,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'd go for something light and acidic to contrast the rich, fatty duck.
Asparagus with a spritz of lemon, mmm. I like the idea of wild and brown rice, that would be a nice contrasting texture.
All of those could be wild, too. I'd look at that as a themed plate.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:28 AM

41,005 posts, read 59,197,388 times
Pam, remember to poke the skin with a fork.
Poke before baking and during too. EVERYWHERE!
That way you will get all the skin nice and crispy with minimum amount of fat. Save the fat for later, though.
The day after the dinner, heat up the fat, add chopped onion, and fry to get it crispy. Pour into a small bowl and use it to spread on the bread. Sprinkle with salt. Delicious!!!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink