U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:22 AM

12,012 posts, read 5,633,291 times

Advertisements

Interesting - I have never let the meat sit out to get to room temperature. I'm one of those germaphobes that thought meat should stay cold until cooked. I learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 AM

4,137 posts, read 2,779,873 times
Unless you live in the jungle, meat can stay out for at least a couple of hours inside your house on the counter. You can cover it with plastic wrap or a paper towel to keep the bugs off. It should be fine. You are going to cook it and kill off all of the germs anyway. Heat kills most everything unless it's already spoiled. This is for beef, with chicken I would be more careful.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 AM

2,737 posts, read 2,051,885 times
I always set meat out prior to cooking. Small cuts of beef like steaks maybe an hour or so. Roasts up to 2 hours. I have left beef out much longer with no ill effects and I ALWAYS cook steaks rare.

Pork chops and ribs not quite as long as beef.

Chicken pieces with bone about an hour, those without bone maybe half that.

I have found that it really does make a difference if you pat meat dry just before it goes into the pan.

I have also found that it does not really make much difference if you sear roasts before putting them in the oven. I've tried it both ways and for me it just isn't worth the bother. Maybe I just have poor boy taste buds

Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM

304 posts, read 69,159 times
It somewhat depends on what the temperature of your room is, and how thick the meat is. I grill (well now usually always pellet grill) a lot. There is a definite difference if the meat too cold when you put it on. For steaks I will often leave it out for a couple of hours. I usually give it a nice bath of garlic olive oil, maybe a bit of Worcestershire, and some seasoning/rub during that time. That is the only marinating I do. Chicken or Salmon will usually get about an hour out before hitting the smoker. My wife is extremely sensitive to any meat that is the slightest bit tainted, but she has never been troubled by anything I have prepared in this way. I am a certified food handler manager several times over and I have no problem leaving a cut of fresh beef on the counter for a few hours.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 AM

6,152 posts, read 4,558,748 times
I don't see any difference except with steak. Cold inside is better IMO.

I want my steaks medium-rare and if they are colder inside when I start to cook them, the outside will cook quicker and leave the centers nice and pink.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM

24,897 posts, read 16,033,163 times
I often bring the meat out of the fridge several hours before cooking. I pat it dry, oil it (usually) and then season with a seasoned salt or S & P. I put it back in the fridge, uncovered and keep it chilled until about 1/2 hour before oven time.

I’ve become a big fan of dry brining poultry and meat.

I really like dry brining my turkeys days ahead of time. I always get a delicious turkey that way. Most of the other stuff, like pork chops or pork roast get more of a rub, than brine. But I get a good result using my method.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:40 AM

74,308 posts, read 86,674,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How long do you let meat sit out in room temp before cooking?

Does coldness inside meat actually help it retain moisture? Or more just gives you larger margin for error in terms of not over cooking?

I have heard on youtube any time as little as 5 min. But after 5 min meat does not feel significantly warmer than when in the frig. I have left the meat out for as long as an hour. Not sure how much warmer the interior of meat is though.
It depends on how long it has been in the fridge and why I am leaving it out in the first place. Usually I like to leave in out at least an hour and if marinating maybe even longer. It also depends on how it will be fixed? Normally when in doubt check a recipe. I depend on the net for this type of information if I have any doubts

Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 AM

74,308 posts, read 86,674,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not too long at all unless you enjoy being sick.
sorry, unless you are leaving sitting out on a porch or someplace outside and it is a hot summer day leaving it out will not make anyone sick and there are advantages to leaving it out. Why do you think so many reipes call for bringing meat to room temp before cooking?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM

748 posts, read 186,790 times
It completely depends on the cut of meat and the anticipated cook time, along with the style of cooking.

I usually only do it with pork and beef, and that's only to allow the rubs to pick up some moisture and gel a bit.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:29 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,169,955 times
Usually half an hour. For something large like a whole chicken or turkey or a big roast I let it sit longer. Especially if the meat had been frozen and thawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or