U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:27 PM

18,935 posts, read 24,491,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, unless you are leaving sitting out on a porch or someplace outside and it is a hot summer day leaving it out will not make anyone sick and there are advantages to leaving it out. Why do you think so many reipes call for bringing meat to room temp before cooking?
bravooooooo!!!! great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 08:18 PM

15,790 posts, read 32,757,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Interesting - I have never let the meat sit out to get to room temperature. I'm one of those germaphobes that thought meat should stay cold until cooked. I learn something new every day.
Lol. Same here.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:36 PM

4,109 posts, read 5,945,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, unless you are leaving sitting out on a porch or someplace outside and it is a hot summer day leaving it out will not make anyone sick and there are advantages to leaving it out. Why do you think so many reipes call for bringing meat to room temp before cooking?

Seconded. Even if there are pathogenic microbes on the surface of the meat, they will be killed almost instantly upon searing. It can literally take days for pathogenic microbes to penetrate far enough into the interior of a single cut to have it actually spoil, even at temperatures above that of a refrigerator. The "danger" is really with ground meat as grinding may mix in a fair amount of "dangerous" surface pathogens. Even then, the risk is quite low as long as the meat is kept below 40F prior to grinding.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 PM

24,972 posts, read 16,074,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Seconded. Even if there are pathogenic microbes on the surface of the meat, they will be killed almost instantly upon searing. It can literally take days for pathogenic microbes to penetrate far enough into the interior of a single cut to have it actually spoil, even at temperatures above that of a refrigerator. The "danger" is really with ground meat as grinding may mix in a fair amount of "dangerous" surface pathogens. Even then, the risk is quite low as long as the meat is kept below 40F prior to grinding.
Yes. Cooking a piece of solid meat should kill all bacteria because they will be on the outside of the cut.

Ground meat is different. Meatloaf or hamburgers should really be cooked thoroughly because bacteria can reside throughout the meat. It pains me to ask for a well done burger, but if asked, I have begun doing so.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:34 PM

10,212 posts, read 19,609,970 times
I've never really thought about it! When brining a turkey, that's in the brine for sometimes a day at more or less room temperature. Usually for steaks or roasts, they will be out on the counter for half an hour to an hour while other things are going on before they get cooked. Sometimes it's for marinating, sometimes for being prepped in other ways but never for anything specific like bringing it up to room temperature. I'll try that, or at least use it for an excuse to leave it sitting there if things are running late.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:28 AM

1,359 posts, read 247,268 times
Steaks 30-60 min, Roasts (mostly Tri Tip) 60-90 min. I put them to the cold side of the grill while it is heating up also. Chicken no more than 15 min and directly on the hot side as it is heating up.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:41 AM

7,257 posts, read 3,458,518 times
My grandma used to say...the burger stood out in a field for years.....What makes you think it can't be thawed at that temp? Mind you cattle is somewhat insulated when roaming the fields, yet still, there is some logic.

I do though worry about thawing out fish...the odor sometimes just isn't worth the thaw time. Never mind when I am cooking or grilling it.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:40 AM

5,595 posts, read 2,053,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't let it sit out at all.

I've seen many people say how important it is to let it come to room temperature, and I've done that, but I didn't notice any difference at all. So I don't see the point.
I always let steak get to room temperature before hitting the grill. If you start with a cold steak, by the time the middle is done to your liking, the exterior can be overdone. Same with ribs or brisket before going into the smoker. Cooks a lot more consistently.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 3,422,508 times
It depends on the specific kind of meat, thickness, what the ambient temperature indoors is, and how it will be cooked.

For meats going into a slow-cooked soup or stew, I start the cold meat in cold water anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

For meat that will be stir-fried or grilled or baked, I let them sit long enough that they don’t make my hands cold when trimming or cutting them. Usually that means between 20 and 30 minutes, though I’ve sometimes had them sit out up to an hour with no ill effects.

Our house is kept cool, so the only time I keep close tabs on how long it sits out is during the hot season. When it is hot, I keep the meat in a closed container and let it sit out. That allows the closed-in air to buffer the temperature change, to not be a sudden change on the meat’s surface.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:23 PM

4,590 posts, read 7,438,540 times
No more than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or