U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 04:07 PM

14,625 posts, read 9,717,500 times

Advertisements

Cutting chicken parts require a cleaver not a knife. You need a good cleaver, cutting board, and knife sharpener. I cut rotisserie chicken with the cleaver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 PM

392 posts, read 1,423,978 times
thank you all very much. great ideas.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:10 AM

19,874 posts, read 22,104,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
I don't have very strong hands. I love chicken soup made from scratch and typically buy one or two organic chickens and cut them up in chunks after I remove the legs and most of breast meat (to be used for a different dish). Can anyone recommend an electrical knife that can be used to cut up a chicken, bones and all? I looked on Amazon and the carving knifes do not seem to be strong enough for this kind of task, but then what is left? Surely others cut up their meats, bone in? Thank you for any suggestion you may have.
Meat cleaver. It’s heavy so you can chop or cut.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 AM

1,599 posts, read 424,377 times
When I make chicken soup, I use either a whole chicken or parts to make or enhance the broth, then pull the already cooked meat from the bones. The cooked meat gets added back to the soup at the end of cooking. No need to cut up the raw chicken. I have never used an electric knife in my life.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:33 AM
Status: "Potentially seconds from my next banning" (set 18 days ago)

16,188 posts, read 9,475,743 times
I've only occasionally used an electric knife (my mom's old one) to slice ham or very delicate cakes and bread - never on anything raw so I think the ideas given here are great.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:51 PM

613 posts, read 105,786 times
You dont cut bones with knife, you cut flesh and pull bones apart at joints. Watch the Jacques video, he knows what he is doing.

Personally I say get a pressure cooker big enough for whole chicken and cook it in that and meat just falls off the bones. Thats the easy way, though I understand if you want to cut it up in pieces to fry or whatever.

Old Today, 01:10 PM

24,011 posts, read 30,942,377 times
The only place on the chicken where you have to use some strength is cutting the breast apart if you do it longways (left side separated from right side). You can cut the breast in half, across the waist (front side separated from back half) with very little effort. You just need to know how to find the joints.

If you have a good cleaver, you can lay it across the place you want separated and then hit the back of it. That doesn't take much strength.

I wouldn't use an electric knife. Electric knife is for when the food won't move while you cut it (big roast, turkey....) to cut up a chicken, you need to hold the bird in place and you really should not have your hands anywhere near the blade on an electric knife.

Old Today, 07:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 1,599,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Cutting chicken parts require a cleaver not a knife. You need a good cleaver, cutting board, and knife sharpener. I cut rotisserie chicken with the cleaver.
I was a butcher apprentice back in England, remove wings and legs with knife,
slice down the breast bone with knife, crack it wide open by hand and remove the spine with the cleaver, takes 30 seconds. I did cases of them daily.

Elec knives are great whilst they last, they fall apart if you look at them wrong. I used them in a catering business, great on a job for carving stations but keep a real blade handy.

These days I just buy boneless skinless thighs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink