U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:59 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,512,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I thought highly of Krups through two or three of them. The problem is that there's now too many models, too many of which are tailored for box/department store markets, and quality varies in both the machines and the pots they brew over time.

My coffee needs are pretty simple, but I like the best pot I can brew without too much fussing around, and I want it to stay consistent over time - not vary with the phase of the moon and the age of the maker until I give up and start over with another, unknown machine that, too, will vary and decline.

Which is why, IMHO, there's really only once choice: Technivorm. Ultra-simple, often rated best in tests... and will brew that same perfect pot every day for many years. I'm about five years into my second (lost custody of the first). Never fails to produce exactly the pot I expect each morning. Not cheap, but cheaper than 3-4 middling-good makers and their cumulative eras where you put up with "eh, this isn't making good coffee any more" for too long.
+1 on the Technivorm, mine is 11 years old. I have to clean out the sensor button occasionally and have replaced the thermal carafe once. The heating loop is solid copper and runs $80 or so last time I checked. If it ever craps out I can just replace that and be brand new again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 12:32 PM

32 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...s for a coffee maker - are you a big drinker that needs a full pot ready 24/7?
If not, and you enjoy a GOOD cup of coffee once or twice a day - I would recommend AeroPress.
Don't get discouraged by it's humble look, though. It produces an AWESOME coffee!! Thousands of people can't be wrong!...
I second the Aeropress. I've used traditional coffee makers, Nespresso, and Keurig. Nothing tastes as good as a cup made with the Aeropress.

Plus it's super easy to clean. Just rinse after use and you're done. No descaling ever.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:38 PM

40,999 posts, read 59,197,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
I second the Aeropress. I've used traditional coffee makers, Nespresso, and Keurig. Nothing tastes as good as a cup made with the Aeropress.

Plus it's super easy to clean. Just rinse after use and you're done. No descaling ever.
...and cost 10 x less than Technivorm, not to mention that it takes ZERO counter space and could be taken to travel.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
...and cost 10 x less than Technivorm, not to mention that it takes ZERO counter space and could be taken to travel.
Yup. When I first tried the Aeropress, I realized I was making coffee wrong my entire life. THIS was the way that fresh coffee should be made!
- paper filter means no grinds end up in your cup for a smooth and clean taste.
- full immersion of the grinds with water means you get every bit of flavor extracted out of your beans.
- short brew time plus the use of cooler temp water means zero bitterness.

There's only 1 downside to the Aeropress: It's limited to 2 cups per press. That said, I've had guests over and had to make 4 cups. So I just did 2 presses. Doesn't take that long.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM

7,734 posts, read 7,183,436 times
I use a Chemex with reverse osmosis filtered water.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:25 PM

2,002 posts, read 739,257 times
Quote:
What’s strange is that I’m not making coffee any differently than before. I’m wondering if it’s my local Houston water that tastes so rank?

Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 AM

4,213 posts, read 1,195,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I agree, this is the very best way to brew coffee with literally no waste.
I got my Filtron cold-brew coffee filter about 25 years ago and nothing comes close to the pure flavor with reduced oil and acidity. I love good coffee, you name the machine or process and I have tried them all.
From Turkish briki to French press to espresso maker to pour through, percolator, and programmed coffee makers. None compare to cold-brewed.

www.filtron.com
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try it. I wonder if it would taste better if the entire unit were enclosed in a relatively pure nitrogen environment to eliminate oxidation during the brew process.

I sense a project forming - one to which Mrs. RationalExpectations will object.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM

Currently, I have an AeroPress, a Chemex, a pair of Bonavitas (one of which adjusts for altitude), various French Presses, pour overs, Yama vacuum brewers, and Clever Coffee Drippers.

My favorites:

For those interested, check out the short "Brewing Fundamentals" article here: https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/libra...a-framework-2/

Here's a youtube video of the Clever Coffee Dripper: https://youtu.be/ASke7Z4KO9Q

Yere's a youtube video of a vacuum brewer although not my brand: https://youtu.be/PCFE0_B2Lrs

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 02-13-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What’s strange is that I’m not making coffee any differently than before. I’m wondering if it’s my local Houston water that tastes so rank?
I use Costco's Kirkland brand water - RO purified with minerals added back for taste. Give that a try.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:33 PM

10,235 posts, read 19,633,706 times
As if there's not enough plastic on the planet, let's wrap it around water and send the water all over the planet that already has water in most places. A whole house on site water filter will not only save excess plastic use (all those water bottles) but save you money in buying water. As well as the time and aggravation of getting bottled water and opening bottles. When bottled water first came out, I was sheerly amazed that anyone would want to buy it and I'm still amazed at how many people who do. Those small plastic coffee pods are also a huge plastic nightmare, too. Okay, so the 'save the planet, save money and quit using so much plastic' rant is over.

For making coffee, nobody has mentioned a French press? I bought a stainless steel thermally insulated one back in '83 (yee gawds and little fishes, that was 32 years ago) which is still making coffee just as tasty as it did at the beginning. Makes a lot, keeps it hot and since the water is heated outside of the press, there's a source of hot water for the tea and cocoa drinkers around here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink