U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 PM

40,999 posts, read 59,197,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
What’s strange is that I’m not making coffee any differently than before. I’m wondering if it’s my local Houston water that tastes so rank?
Oh, Houston's water is awful! I never drink it out of faucet and have filter attached to the shower head. Skin and hair feels so much better! Coffee and tea taste great too.
The water apparently meets or exceeds ALL Federal and State standards and is SAFE, but I take it with a big grain of salt.
A lot of these legal limits are outdated and not necessarily the safe level. The federal government has not been able to, or is not willing to, set those new regulations to protect public health.

A report released few months ago found more than 270 harmful contaminants in local drinking water across the nation, including in Houston. The substances are linked to cancer, damage to the brain and nervous system, hormonal disruption, problems in pregnancy and other serious health conditions.
https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/system.php?pws=TX1010013
https://patch.com/texas/houston/canc...king-water-ewg

So, yes - if you want to improve the taste of your coffee - buy spring water or invest in filters.
Also research about the quality of the beans you buy. The grocery store cheap coffee like Maxwell or Folgers is NOT a quality coffee.
I would rather drink less of more expensive coffee that than that cheap stuff that costs way less.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
For making coffee, nobody has mentioned a French press? I bought a stainless steel thermally insulated one back in '83 (yee gawds and little fishes, that was 32 years ago) which is still making coffee just as tasty as it did at the beginning. Makes a lot, keeps it hot and since the water is heated outside of the press, there's a source of hot water for the tea and cocoa drinkers around here as well.
To each their own. But I tried a French press for a couple months and found it wasn't for me because of several reasons:
  • It requires course grinds. If grounded too fine, the grinds will slip through the filter. Because of this, it requires more coffee beans per serving.
  • No matter how course your grind your coffee, some will always slip though the filter into your cup which makes your coffee muddy, particularly at the bottom of your cup.
  • It required several minutes (3-4) to steep. For me, that's just too long a wait.
  • Because the grinds are immersed in the hot water for so long, the coffee beans are over-extracted which leads to bitterness. I guess this is the characteristic "bold" flavor of the French press.
  • Cleanup is annoying. Grinds are always stuck in the filter.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:14 PM

14,732 posts, read 9,763,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, Houston's water is awful! I never drink it out of faucet and have filter attached to the shower head. Skin and hair feels so much better! Coffee and tea taste great too.
The water apparently meets or exceeds ALL Federal and State standards and is SAFE, but I take it with a big grain of salt.
A lot of these legal limits are outdated and not necessarily the safe level. The federal government has not been able to, or is not willing to, set those new regulations to protect public health.

A report released few months ago found more than 270 harmful contaminants in local drinking water across the nation, including in Houston. The substances are linked to cancer, damage to the brain and nervous system, hormonal disruption, problems in pregnancy and other serious health conditions.
https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/system.php?pws=TX1010013
https://patch.com/texas/houston/canc...king-water-ewg

So, yes - if you want to improve the taste of your coffee - buy spring water or invest in filters.
Also research about the quality of the beans you buy. The grocery store cheap coffee like Maxwell or Folgers is NOT a quality coffee.
I would rather drink less of more expensive coffee that than that cheap stuff that costs way less.
In general, you shouldn't drink any tap water from the faucet, not even NYC which has the best water. Because there is too much chlorine and fluoride which is toxic in long term use. Many places have heavy minerals which can be good in the short run but not great as traces of many dissolved dangerous substances can be found too.

Coffee tastes dead with tap water.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,577,705 times
[quote=elnina;57313317]Yes. Water and the water temperature makes a big difference. I use Sparkletts Spring Water. Great stuff. (HEB, Fiesta and La Michoacana has it for sure)
As for a coffee maker - are you a big drinker that needs a full pot ready 24/7?
Quote:
If not, and you enjoy a GOOD cup of coffee once or twice a day - I would recommend AeroPress.
Don't get discouraged by it's humble look, though. It produces an AWESOME coffee!! Thousands of people can't be wrong!
https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Cof...df_B0047BIWSK/

Quality beans matter too. Best to buy whole beans and grind smaller portions at home.
All that will make a huge difference.
[url=http://coffeegeek.com/resources/noteworthy/aerobie]CoffeeGeek - Why does the AeroPress

Old 02-13-2020, 06:10 PM

200 posts, read 29,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
Yup. When I first tried the Aeropress, I realized I was making coffee wrong my entire life. THIS was the way that fresh coffee should be made!
- paper filter means no grinds end up in your cup for a smooth and clean taste.
- full immersion of the grinds with water means you get every bit of flavor extracted out of your beans.
- short brew time plus the use of cooler temp water means zero bitterness.
I'm curious why you think this is exclusive to the Aeropress. It's basically how every drip maker works, assuming you don't use one of those ghastly gold-mesh filter things.

A lot of preference comes down to whether you drink one cup or a pot. My day starts with a pot of the best coffee I can make without endless fussing around; a one-cup or small-batch maker just wouldn't work. And units like a Chemex, with boiling water separately, are more fussing than I care to bother with every morning. (I do have and use a French Press for the occasional Sunday breakfast.)

Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'm curious why you think this is exclusive to the Aeropress. It's basically how every drip maker works, assuming you don't use one of those ghastly gold-mesh filter things.
The primary difference is that the aeropress allows your grinds to be fully immersed in the water allowing for even extraction from your grinds.
A typical drip maker would have the center grinds over extracted while the surrounding grinds are under extracted. Over-extraction leads to bitterness which many folks cover up with milk or creamer.
Aeropress coffee tastes very similar to cold brew in that there's no bitterness and it goes down smooth. Milk or creamer becomes unnecessary.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 AM

628 posts, read 428,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'm a fan of the AeroPress too. It's an amazing little gadget. I like to tell people that AeroPress makes coffee like a $1,000 espresso machine from Italy (for only $25). --And that's not an exaggeration.

AeroPress does not work at all like a drip coffeemaker, which make terrible coffee by the way. Here are a few advantages of AeroPress:

1. When you use an AeroPress you use water that slightly off of boiling (about 190 to 200 degrees.) A higher water temp means better coffee. Most drip coffeemakers don't even come close.

2. It works almost like a French press--but only better than a French press. After you add your coffee and boiling water to the AeroPress, you let the coffee steep to develop flavor for about 3 or 4 minutes. It also has a small paper filter that does a great job of catching the coffee grounds.

3. This is the feature that blows away the competition and makes AreoPress #1: THE PLUNGER. When you depress the plunger on the AreoPress it creates a vacuum-tight seal within the chamber that squeezes out and extracts every last bit of flavor from the coffee. It makes even cheap coffee taste terrific. I know you'll laugh, but I swear that even Folger's tastes better than most premium brands when it's made with an AeroPress. I would put it up against almost any coffeee. You'll never scoff at Folger's again.

The AeroPress is like a small espresso maker that only makes one small 4-oz shot of strong coffee. I typically add another 3 to 4 ounces of boiling water to make an "Americano." It's a smooth as silk--and I only drink black coffee. I never pollute it with cream or sugar.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
...After you add your coffee and boiling water to the AeroPress, you let the coffee steep to develop flavor for about 3 or 4 minutes...
Dude. You steep your coffee for 3-4 min in the Aeropress? I think you're making it wrong. You just add hot water, stir for 10 seconds, and then plunge. It should take about a minute to make in total.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 AM

628 posts, read 428,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
Dude. You steep your coffee for 3-4 min in the Aeropress? I think you're making it wrong. You just add hot water, stir for 10 seconds, and then plunge. It should take about a minute to make in total.
Yes, I steep my coffee for 3 to 4 minutes. As I said above, I love strong black coffee. However, when I make it that way it's too strong even for me straight from the AeroPress. That's why I add an equal amount of boiling water after plunging it to temper it (i.e., the "Americano"). You should try it sometime. Your coffee will taste like it came from an expensive, restaurant-caliber coffeemaker only found in a coffeehouse.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM

7,282 posts, read 3,471,186 times
Braun for drip/ expresso.

Old french press. Smoothest coffee ever. Quality is worth the seep time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink