U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

15,661 posts, read 32,278,644 times

Advertisements

I have been using a Melitta cone (pour-over) for years now. I have tried just about every type pot and method, and this one works best for me. I grind my beans, heat my water and pour over. Low-tech, simple, easy cleanup, and takes next to zero space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 04:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 34,610,357 times
A Melitta/Gevalia 4 cupper that I've had forever

Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM

2,614 posts, read 893,894 times
I’ve tried just about every coffee maker and device there is including the Vietnamese coffee with their strainer type device. I absolutely love great coffee and my preference above all others is a French Press and it makes me want to get out of bed each day.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM

11,919 posts, read 9,289,935 times
Any recommendations for a pour over coffee maker? I'm not a fan of French Presses.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:40 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,204,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I used the same Krups maker for over 15 years until I put too much vinegar in it to decalcify it. Coffee didn’t taste the same after that. My mother gave her Cuisinart maker. The coffee brew doesn’t seem to taste the same ever since even after I inserted a new filter. I’m going to try using bottled water to brew to see if it makes a difference or not.
Is there a noticeable difference with the different coffee brewers?
Rinse out the Krups more.

We use vinegar to clean coffeepots all the time. Rinse more. Repeat. Relax.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:12 PM

3,934 posts, read 1,619,367 times
Very happy with my Mr Coffee barista automatic cappucino maker.
With starbucks french roast beans I get a very nice creamy jolt.
$175 on amazon ,
tastes as good as the expensive cup at starbucks.
Grinding my beans with a cheapo $12 bullet grinder.
looks like this,
https://youtu.be/YKqj63Zh52s

Old 02-18-2020, 01:20 PM

41,001 posts, read 59,197,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I'm a fan of the AeroPress too. It's an amazing little gadget. I like to tell people that AeroPress makes coffee like a $1,000 espresso machine from Italy (for only $25). --And that's not an exaggeration.

AeroPress does not work at all like a drip coffeemaker, which make terrible coffee by the way. Here are a few advantages of AeroPress:

1. When you use an AeroPress you use water that slightly off of boiling (about 190 to 200 degrees.) A higher water temp means better coffee. Most drip coffeemakers don't even come close.

2. It works almost like a French press--but only better than a French press. After you add your coffee and boiling water to the AeroPress, you let the coffee steep to develop flavor for about 3 or 4 minutes. It also has a small paper filter that does a great job of catching the coffee grounds.

3. This is the feature that blows away the competition and makes AreoPress #1: THE PLUNGER. When you depress the plunger on the AreoPress it creates a vacuum-tight seal within the chamber that squeezes out and extracts every last bit of flavor from the coffee. It makes even cheap coffee taste terrific. I know you'll laugh, but I swear that even Folger's tastes better than most premium brands when it's made with an AeroPress. I would put it up against almost any coffeee. You'll never scoff at Folger's again.

The AeroPress is like a small espresso maker that only makes one small 4-oz shot of strong coffee. I typically add another 3 to 4 ounces of boiling water to make an "Americano." It's a smooth as silk--and I only drink black coffee. I never pollute it with cream or sugar.
All that ^^^ is 100% true!
Why not give it a try? It doesn't cost a fortune...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 08:09 AM
Status: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." (set 20 days ago)

49,176 posts, read 39,319,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I use Cuisinart coffeemakers. I use filtered water. And you have reminded me that I need to buy new filters!

If you liked the old Krups, why not buy a new one for yourself? If you’d rather not spend the money, have a look at the Cuisinart site about how to decalcify your Cuisinart machine, and follow instructions. And use filtered water to make your coffee. Buy good beans and grind as you go.

I use a Brita filter pitcher.
I use a Cuisinart coffee maker for my morning coffee, because I can preset it and just stumble to the pot and pour a cup as soon as I get up. This is imperative to me. I have been known to wake up at 2 am, realize that I haven't preset the coffee maker, and get up and do it right then - because I'd rather clean the coffee pot and pour the water and all that at 2 am than at 6 am!

But I have every single other sort of coffee or tea fixer thingie under the sun for all the other times. I love coffee and tea.

I really, really love my Melitta pour over ceramic coffee cone. I also really love my french press. For a cup or two in the afternoon, those are my go tos.

Oh and then I have a guilty pleasure. I love the Vietnamese/Asian instant coffees with creamer. So I have an electric kettle to heat up water quickly for those, or for tea.

I'm not a coffee afficianado or however you say or spell it, but I do love different types of coffee. For me personally, I don't want it to be too expensive or too much hassle to make.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

2,726 posts, read 8,026,264 times
I have been using this french press coffee maker for the past couple of years. Price under $20, and it's all stainless steel with no plastic or glass. I usually brew just one 12 oz/350 ml coffee per day, so I'm not a heavy user. I'm drinking my daily cup right now. It can brew up to 24 oz/ 700 ml in one batch. I buy fresh roasted Brazilian whole beans in bulk at Sprouts and grind them course in a hand grinder. I only buy enough beans to last 3-4 weeks so they don't lose too much flavor. Most coffee sold in stores was roasted many months or even years ago, then vacuum packed.

Of course, it brews very good coffee, so no milk, sugar or other stuff needed. I lived in Colombia for several years, and my home brewed coffee rivals the best "tinto" that I ever tasted in the Coffee Kingdom.

https://www.amazon.com/French-Coffee...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old Today, 11:33 AM

25,063 posts, read 16,120,271 times
I am attracted to the various sorts of pour over and press methods of coffee making. But we drink coffee twice a day, and I like being able to simply go to the warm pot and pour some into my mug. I don’t want to go through a process every time I want a cup.

But I respect those who do this as fellow coffee lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink